Most artistic skates of the last 15 years | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Most artistic skates of the last 15 years

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam Rippon's Birds program, Jason Brown's SP this season, Piper and Paul's Starry Night, Tessa and Scott's everything, Yuzu's Seimei, Carolina's weird SP a few years back that was modern dance on ice. Lots of people hated it; I loved it and thought it was fantastic.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A lot of Kostner, a lot of Mao. Takahashi may not be my thing, but Blues for Klook is definitely modern art. Yuzu of course - the priceless Japanese etching that was Seimei , the blatant popart that was LGC, and Notte Stellata (don't care if it's exhibition, it's high art) Jason's Love is a B*, and also the 2017-8 FS. Joshua Ferris's Schindler's List.

Claudalie

Rinkside
Alexei Yagudin! Broken Arrow, Gladiator, Winter, and Man in the Iron Mask are a few that come to mind. But he missed the 15-year mark on the OP ;)

He's the only who comes to my mind too and I would add Revolutionary etude as well. In my opinion, nobody matches him in artistry. The best of all time for me. His step sequence in winter - is unrivaled and a pure joy to watch. I'm still re-watching his programs on youtube.

Weathergal

Medalist
Just get rid of the cluttered programmes with the less than one second Ina Bauers and spirals, only one foot skating steps sequences (while often anough you can do a lot with two feet that can be remarkable) and I think there would be much more to say artistically. But there are still skaters who find a way to do just that. Not everyone is 'just' a jumping bean - although combining that with true artistry is just wonderful.

:clapper:

Weathergal

Medalist
I agree Piper and Paul's Starry Night is something to remember. I was transfixed each time I watched them dancing this program.
In men, I will always miss Daisuke and Stephane.
Daisuke La Strada https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ltl02WLqbdQ
Stephane Lambiel 4Seasons https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F893u_lTNVw&frags=pl,wn

I will also always miss Daisuke and Stephane although my favorite programs of theirs are:
Daisuke In the Garden of Souls SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejeCnGrB7HM
and Cyber Swan SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UxKhsJdZs
Stephane Poeta LP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE1_0xd9A4k

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Definitely Yuna Kim. She reigned her era with her huge and soft jumps as well as her artistry. She has a whole package so I love every programs of hers. If you ask me to pick only one among all disciplines, she is the one for me.

Other than her, during the past 15 years in ladies, I love most of Sasha Cohen's program although she is in the mix of the 6.0 and IJS era and some of Carolina Kostners' works because I didn't appreciate nor like her programs until her glorious Ave Maria at Sochi as her earlier programs don't strike me as artistic. Her artistry looks to me bloomed rather in her later years. Some of Satoko Miyahara's programs also give me a fresh joy or thrill although her tiny jumps prevented me from appreciating her artistry for quite some years.

In men, Yagudin is my first and ultimate love for men's skating forever, but he retired before 2004, so everything of Daisuke Takahashi, Denis Ten's innate musicality, Stephan Lambiel's showmanship and Patrick Chan's legendary skating skills come to mind. Jeremy Abbott had it all except consistency so I rarely got satisfactory performances from him unfortunately.

In pairs, Shen/Zhao of course. They were majestic! They are also closer to the 6.0 era, but well they retired in 2010. :) I also loved watching Pang/Tong's lyrical style. The avant-garde styel of Savchenko/Szolkowy/Massot always amused me.

In ice dance, definitely, Delobel/Schoenfelder for me. They were dynamic and always came up with new things. I never fall in love with ice dancing teams again as much as them. I think Papadakis/Cizeron can be the artistic team for me after them.

rlopen

On the Ice
Just the ladies (though I will mention anything Daisuke Takahashi or Jason Brown is a great recommendation):
Mariah Bell's 18-19 free skate

Kaori Sakamoto's The Piano

Anything Satoko Miyahara

Anything Anastasiia Gubanova (HIGHLY recommend...if looking for one I say Romeo and Juliet at Jr. Grand Prix Final)

Loena Hendrickx's Diferente at 2018 Worlds

Marin Honda's Romeo and Juliet at Junior Worlds

Evgenia Medvedeva's Tosca

Pogorilaya's 2016-2017 Free Skate at any competition except for Worlds

Karen Chen's On Golden Pond at 2017 US Nationals

Ashley Wagner's Black Swan at 2012 Four Continents

Carolina Kostner's Ne Me Quitte Pas sp, Prelude a l'apres-midi fs, clair de lune exhibition (imo this is actually her best program ever though most likely a highly unpopular opinion), ave maria sp, bolero fs, those are just a few but in general you can't really go wrong with her

Mao Asada's SP and FS at Finlandia Trophy 2016, Madama Butterfly at 2016 Worlds, 2014 Worlds SP, 2014 Olympics FS, 2013 Worlds FS, 2011 Four Continents FS, 2010 Worlds FS, 2008 GPF SP.

Giada Russo's Red Violin at 2016 Euros

Yuna Kim's 2014 Olympics SP + FS, 2013 Worlds SP + FS, 2011 Worlds SP + FS (neither are flawless, but are still beautiful and have no falls), 2010 Olympics SP + FS, 2009 Worlds SP + FS.

Alissa Csizny's SP at 2011 Skate America, and FS at 2011 Trophee Eric Bompard

Kiira Korpi's SP at 2015 Euros

extraredheart

Spectator
some that immediately come to mind - yulia lipnitskaya (my #1 fave - ofc it would be her :)), yuzuru hanyu, carolina kostner, and karen chen. now we have some beautiful young talents - alena kostornaya, kamila vaileva and maya khromyk.

extraredheart

Spectator
since you also said programs, I'm always happy to recommend some!

yulia's les feuilles mortes

yuzuru's otonal

carolina's ave maria

karen's on golden pond

anything alena, but I recommend her 'november'

kamila's girl on the ball

and maya's sp from last season - not sure what the music is, but it's at the top of the recommendations when you search her name.

hope these helped! (also I love how all of them were SPs sksksksks)

extraredheart

Spectator
adding some more as I go down this thread - I'm ashamed to have forgotten some!

jason brown - love is a b****

kaori sakamoto - both programs from last season are gems, but I recommend 'from my first moment'

anything satoko miyahara, but I'll say song for the little sparrow

anything mai mihara as well, but I'll go with 'it's magic'

marin honda - turandot

rika kihira - clair de lune

yuna kim - send in the clowns

aaaaaaaaand mao asada - swan lake!

now you'll have pretty many to watch :) and once again, SPs reign supreme aha

StephenGfan

Final Flight
The lack of V/M in this thread is appalling:
Tessa/scotts: Mahler
Tessa/scotts: Umberellas of cherbourg
Tessa/scott: vlase triste
Mao asada: Rach no.3
Yuzuru hanyu: R&J version 1
Yuzuru hanyu: Chopin
Mao asada: Nocturne
Sui/han: Rain, in your black eyes

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In no particular order,

Vanessa and Morgan's Wicked Game, all 2018-19 but esp at GPF and Europeans
Sui and Han's FS 2019 Worlds
Adam Rippon's Beatles Medley FS at 2016 Worlds
Ashley Wagner's Moulin Rouge FS at 2016 Worlds
Javier's Guys & Dolls FS at 2016 Worlds
Gaby & Guillaume's FS at 2015, 2016 Worlds
Meryl & Charlie's Samson & Delilah at 2009 Worlds
Meryl & Charlie'a POTO at 2010 US nationals
Ashley Wagner's Black Swan at 2012 4CC
Sean Rabbit's East of Eden, 2019 US nationals
Michelle Kwan's East of Eden, 1998 Pro-Am comp.
Nathan Chen's Nemesis at 2017 COR
Nathan Chen's Caravan at 2019 Worlds
this is a partial list, and I'm going to give gsk8's list of Alexei Yagudin's skates a thumbs up.

The lack of V/M in this thread is appalling:

To each his own, I suppose.

edenlover

On the Ice
These haven't been mentioned so I add:

Shibs " Fix You"--2016 Worlds and Nationals So in tune with the music. Amazing, really
Michelle's "Spartacus," US Nationals 2005 SO passionate
Meryl and Charlie, "Giselle" SP in 2013 (I think) So lively, in keeping with the music, and spirited
Savchenko and Massot--Winter Olympics 2018 Long Program Just out of this world
Johnny Weir, "Otonal"

mikeko666

Final Flight
Akiko Suzuki's "O". She skated to the music from Cirque du Soleil but told an original story of mother nature through the eyes of a little blue bird.