Pick only one | Golden Skate

Pick only one

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan skated as@ senior for a decade. Many competitions and exhibitions in the golden decade after the whack.

Can you tell us the one program you most enjoyed and why? Did it embody Michelle as a lover of the sport? Was it artistic? Was it one of her best technical outings? Is the costume iconic?

Was it the best spiral sequence ever? I was watching her on YouTube last night for calm and the joy she usually exuded. Sadly her 2002 Olympic LP was not one of the faves. Michelle seems largely,forgotten by fans of IJS and quadsters. But I still like her skating. Lyra Angelica 1998 nationals and Olympics remain the programs that showed her essence. The joy, her innocence and her love of skating with her fractured toe still makes me marvel at the young lovely Michelle in the beautiful periwinkle blue velour simple dress. Seldom have we seen such a happy competitor. Yes, skaters more athletic by far but no one matches her sheer joy and captures the flight of skating like her. Any links to your favorite MK performance?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Yes we all cried tho the results were fair - tho I would have maybe had Sasha on podium. Michelle was the lucky her sp was good.

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan skated as@ senior for a decade. Many competitions and exhibitions in the golden decade after the whack.

Can you tell us the one program you most enjoyed and why? Did it embody Michelle as a lover of the sport? Was it artistic? Was it one of her best technical outings? Is the costume iconic?

Was it the best spiral sequence ever? I was watching her on YouTube last night for calm and the joy she usually exuded. Sadly her 2002 Olympic LP was not one of the faves. Michelle seems largely,forgotten by fans of IJS and quadsters. But I still like her skating. Lyra Angelica 1998 nationals and Olympics remain the programs that showed her essence. The joy, her innocence and her love of skating with her fractured toe still makes me marvel at the young lovely Michelle in the beautiful periwinkle blue velour simple dress. Seldom have we seen such a happy competitor. Yes, skaters more athletic by far but no one matches her sheer joy and captures the flight of skating like her. Any links to your favorite MK performance?

Very hard choice, but I love her Spartacus SP at 2005 Nationals. The buildup to the spiral sequence is magical.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
East of Eden I love this program SO much. Love how Frank sends her off with "Skate with undaunted courage."

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
East of Eden I love this program SO much. Love how Frank sends her off with "Skate with undaunted courage."

This is mine too, by far. The shapes she makes, how she translates the feeling of flight, the attention to artistry down to her fingertips. Every cell of her vibrates with emotion and music.

Here is a superb gem that is never mentioned in "favorite Michelle" discussions. This is the Red Violin preview exhibition from the 1999 Worlds gala.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UruB5GOsB5s

The movie had not been released in the U.S. yet. It had been released in a limited way in Austria, Canada and Japan in the fall of 1998. But I don't think that the soundtrack was available on CD until after the U.S. release the next year. I would love to know the story of how Lori Nichol got hold of the music. But she did, and evidently said to herself -- that's going to be Michelle's music next year!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Penny

On the Ice

So beautiful, from the opening to the end. The point system has its advantages, but under it, we will never see anything like this again. The backward and forward spirals, the gorgeous (simple) spins, the well-spaced jumps. Oh well...

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That is the one I would pick if I had to pick only one. Look at this sequence: https://youtu.be/LYwAZb14Ags?t=149 That is one-foot skating!
That is stunning! I love it! I know the fans of cluttered, cookie-cutter transitions programs would say she does too much two foot skating overall during the program, but the way the choreography accents all the highs and lows is so awesome. That section of one-foot skating is amazing. Tatsuki Machida did a great East of Eden too (sorry :eek:topic:), but I'd say Michelle's is better.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So beautiful, from the opening to the end. The point system has its advantages, but under it, we will never see anything like this again. The backward and forward spirals, the gorgeous (simple) spins, the well-spaced jumps. Oh well...

As many times as I have watched this, I still get kind of choked up by the end of the program. As Sandra Bezic said, everything about her is exquisite.

Weathergal

Medalist
Always a Michelle fan, although I disagree that fans -- even those of the "quadsters" as you put it - have forgotten about her or don't appreciate her. But anyway, one of her standout performances to me is her 2004 Nationals "Tosca" LP - great performance, so much emotion, and beautiful costume. Uncle Dick's gushing commentary doesn't hurt either. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9Et5D1Nt8

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Always a Michelle fan, although I disagree that fans -- even those of the "quadsters" as you put it - have forgotten about her or don't appreciate her. But anyway, one of her standout performances to me is her 1994 Nationals "Tosca" LP - great performance, so much emotion, and beautiful costume. Uncle Dick's gushing commentary doesn't hurt either. ;)

That straight-line footwork is stunning. Love that costume too! This reminiscing is reminding me how much I miss her and her beautiful skating. :sad4: :console:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Well it is hard for me to pick a favorite because I love her body of work.

But Dante's Prayer an Exhibition program from 1998 is a standout on my list. Her arms, her edging and body
movements are first rate. Michelle always had that special talent to cast a spell and draw the audience into
her programs and Dante's Prayer is a classic example of why she will always be the Kween!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edlTytIoFEk

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Always a Michelle fan, although I disagree that fans -- even those of the "quadsters" as you put it - have forgotten about her or don't appreciate her. But anyway, one of her standout performances to me is her 1994 Nationals "Tosca" LP - great performance, so much emotion, and beautiful costume. Uncle Dick's gushing commentary doesn't hurt either. ;)

One of my favorites too but it was 2004 Nationals not 1994. :)

tosca

On the Ice
Always a Michelle fan, although I disagree that fans -- even those of the "quadsters" as you put it - have forgotten about her or don't appreciate her. But anyway, one of her standout performances to me is her 2004 Nationals "Tosca" LP - great performance, so much emotion, and beautiful costume. Uncle Dick's gushing commentary doesn't hurt either. ;)

Tosca is obviously my favorite too [emoji1419]