2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 23 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Nah, most likely no info besides what we know. But it would hardly be a surprise if he announced his retirement, unless he got a clean bill of health and his prospects of competing are good.

So, just wishful thinking from some....

I hope Kolyada comes back and he proves that the horses don't die when the dogs want it (*this is a traditional saying from my country)

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I try very hard to keep up with the mens competitions but don't post much about them.

Just wanted to say how heartbreaking it was to watch Dima's FS. I really feel for him, he has so much talent! I consider him to be better than Alexander, I haven't warmed to him yet and doubt I ever will but Dima I really feel has the potential.

It's just one event though and I hope he can put it behind him, learn from it and gain strength mentally.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
I try very hard to keep up with the mens competitions but don't post much about them.

Just wanted to say how heartbreaking it was to watch Dima's FS. I really feel for him, he has so much talent! I consider him to be better than Alexander, I haven't warmed to him yet and doubt I ever will but Dima I really feel has the potential.

It's just one event though and I hope he can put it behind him, learn from it and gain strength mentally.

What i didn't like this competition with Aliev is how sloppy he has in his positions. Normally he was so great in this area, but this time his spins were messy (also in short), foot positions, hand positions, body position in the air at jumping... Hope for him that he is healthy and the sloppiness is because of other reasons, but i don't like this development. Lack of concentration? Lack of skating time?

Samarin...is Samarin. He cannot emote on the ice for the life of him. But put his position in spins for example next to Aliev and they were better. Clean lines, even when empty of any emotions. Mix their strenght together and you would get a very well rounded skater (alas, he woudn't be stable in competition as none is).

Tinza

Rinkside
I don't understand why Alievs spins are so bad. I mean Samarin is taller and looks stiffer, but nevertheless he is abel to have polished level 4 spins, while Alievs spins are a mess.

Are his trainers not able to teach spins, (Ignatovs spins are very bad, too) or don't they care about spins?

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Dima gave up in this FS, he really did. He stopped giving a s*** about his performance after the fall on the 3F.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't understand why Alievs spins are so bad. I mean Samarin is taller and looks stiffer, but nevertheless he is abel to have polished level 4 spins, while Alievs spins are a mess.

Are his trainers not able to teach spins, (Ignatovs spins are very bad, too) or don't they care about spins?

Ignatov has a history of back injuries so it's understandable that his spins are bad. That's not Rukavitsyn fault. He has has injury problems since his previous coach. Yevgeny has helped him a lot already.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Samarin needs an american coach. He just needs to learn about PCS

Samarin reminds me a lot of Grassl (they trained together for a while), the difference is that Daniel started to work consistently with Benoit Richaud on his artistry and i can't tell he's the most artistic skater ever, but he has been making big improvements on his second mark.

I think Samarin needs to do just that, find a very good choreographer who can work on his skating skills and performance, but i can understand why he's not doing it as long as he keeps getting good components regardless.

calbskate83

Spectator
Have there been any news or any interviews from Aliev’s camp after the FS? This season so far, he seemed to always fight back in every competition after making a mistake early in the program..but for this GPF fs, he just looked like he gave up after the fall on the flip. Did he get injured before GPF? I’m a big fan but he’s always seemed slow to me especially when compared to Samarin when they skate back to back. Is that why he gets such low PCS? (Not just at this GPF)

Any updates would be appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

MintGreen

On the Ice
I want to know too if anything happened to Aliev. He seems to be on the right track this season. Those types of mistakes and the way he responded are rather unusual.

Tutto

Record Breaker
So, just wishful thinking from some....

I hope Kolyada comes back and he proves that the horses don't die when the dogs want it (*this is a traditional saying from my country)

So do I! And unless we hear of his retirement from him directly I refuse to believe that he is ready to give up on his dreams. Yes he is not 20 anymore but look at Voronov, who is still competing at 30! Would Mika be a competitor in current ladies field situation I could see the rationale but as it is I think he is still very relevant & competitive both in Russia and internationally so we just have to be patient and wait for the news. So far other Russian men have only proved that they are equally inconsistent but have no same PCS to prop them up when things go wrong

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New interview with Mozalev. It seems he like to keep it short, sweet and to the point. I can appreciate that as my time is valuable :laugh:
https://rsport.ria.ru/20191213/1562329622.html

ISU video interviews from (J)GPF
Samarin https://youtu.be/Yf9yj22D8JY
Mozalev https://youtu.be/lmEgG4tMbU4
Samsonov https://youtu.be/qd4OEGhaXto
Gummenik https://youtu.be/pM0tQ-MCnTI

Other interviews
Samsonov https://tass.ru/interviews/7311047
Samarin https://tass.ru/interviews/7311047
Gummenik https://nevasport.ru/113959-gumenni...pomeshala-emu-horosho-vystupit-v-finale-yugp/

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone know how Kolyada is doing? Will he be at Russian Nats. the men are so inconsistent it isn't funny. They potentially could be world medallists or out of the top ten or even 15.

champagnerain

Final Flight
Does anyone know how Kolyada is doing? Will he be at Russian Nats. the men are so inconsistent it isn't funny. They potentially could be world medallists or out of the top ten or even 15.

IIRC, the articles that came out announcing his withdrawal from the GP/surgery said that he would be back to training approximately 1 month after surgery (which was at the end of October) and that he hoped/intended to be back for Nats. I think I saw an article in Russian in mid-November-ish in which an official from RusFed said he hadn't gotten back on the ice yet (which would be expected, since it was still within his ~1 month rehab period), but I haven't heard anything else besides that and his Instagram post a few days after the surgery. In a best case scenario, I think he'll be able to go to Nats, but it will be on just a few weeks of training, so who knows what kind of shape he'll be in?

Obviously, his health is the most important thing, so if he has to skip Nats, he has to skip Nats. But, of course, I do hope for a best case scenario. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, though - which means that if he goes and survives, I'll pretty much be happy. :p

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
One of the Russian skating posters I trust most didn't expect him to be at Nationals, but I don't know what gave the poster that impression so not sure if it was based on anything more than the non-existence of news. Anyway, I'm going with having no expectations of seeing Kolyada on the list and being pleasantly surprised if he competes rather than the reverse.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just read about Mika K not being at Nats. What a bummer, hope the recovery is going well.

I wonder how the men's competition will shape up, is Lazukin's injury healed yet? Is Dmitriev Jr goons be there trying his 4A? Questions abound!

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I just read about Mika K not being at Nats. What a bummer, hope the recovery is going well.

I wonder how the men's competition will shape up, is Lazukin's injury healed yet? Is Dmitriev Jr goons be there trying his 4A? Questions abound!

AFAIK Dmitriev Jr isn't going to Nationals. I guess I forgot to post his dad's interview but he said they hope to compete in competitions after New Years, which is why he isn't in my post of who qualified, etc. I will try to find the article later.