2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gorshkov:
“It was decided that the next championship of Russia will be taken by Krasnoyarsk, the tournament will be held from December 24 to December 29,” Gorshkov said. “The Junior Championship of Russia will be held from February 4 to 8 in Saransk.”
https://tass.ru/sport/6460047

Kogan:
The test rentals this time will be held on September 7 and 8 at the Luzhniki,” Kogan said.
https://tass.ru/sport/6460098

Update:

World Standings (Top 24) Season 2019-2020:
Kolyada (3)
Samarin (7)
Voronov (15)
Aliev (17)
Savosin (23)

Top 24 SB
Kolyada (5)
Samarin (8)
Voronov (15)
Aliev (17)
Lazukin (18)
Shulepov (SB 29)
Savosin (SB 32)
Dmitriev (SB 34)
Danielian (SB 38)
Gumennik (SB 42)
Mozalev (SB 45)
Erokhov (SB 46)
Iakovlev (SB 58)
Miliukov (SB 65)
Murashov (SB 79)
Kovalev (SB 80)
Rukhin (SB 85)
Vetlugin (SB 89)
Lezheev (SB 118)

Retired:
Kovtun

Coaching changes (so far):
Shulepov to Kirill Davydenko (per Kirill's Instagram + Leonova's post wedding interview)

Juniors
--Junior Grand prix spots: 2 at 6 events, 3 spots at JGP Chelyabinsk, 15 spots total.
--Junior Worlds spots: 3
--Youth Olympic spots: 2 YOG Eligibility: Birth between Jan 1, 2003 to Dec 31st, 2005

Seniors
--European: 3 spots
--Worlds: 2 spots

ETA: Federation summary is coming on May 22, 2019.

Interviews:

Erokhov: "I set up myself right away, that I will not give up just like that”

Dmitry Aliev: “If there is a desire, everything will work out”

Makar Ignatov: “The most important thing is to work and clearly understand why you are doing this”

Voronov: Coffee or Tea

Updated transfers (not official):
Andrei Kutovoi to Moskvina school, more than likely to Daineko
Mikhail Polianskii and Maximilian Ermolin to Rukavitsin
Vladimir Samoilov and Artem Zotov to Butsaeva (Volchkova)

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Another interview from Aliev
"After the Olympics, it seemed to break me."

Google translation link

From this interview you will learn:
Why Dmitry for a time refused all sports titles in social networks
What does Aliev have in common with Evgenia Medvedeva
What was the first Olympics and its aftertaste
Who will choreograph his new programs
How Dmitry in childhood made a choice between skis and skates
How does he feel about the quint jumps in the future?

EVAMARIA

On the Ice
Thank you RemyRose for the link to the interview with Dima! Im glad he finally got the rest he needed. He has had a rough time post olympic.
Can't wait till next season and his new programs. I will def root for him.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New Interview (google translated):
Alexander Samarin: “We will not retreat back”

The silver medalist of the European Championship, Alexander SAMARIN, in an interview with journalist Tatyana FLADE recalls the bright moments of the past season, talks about the directors of the new programs and admits that he will not back off.

- Sasha, you have an interesting and intense season. How did you handle this?

- The season really turned out to be long, and this is a bit unusual. I usually ended it in mid-March, and this time I had to keep myself in shape for a long time. But this is also an experience. I think the mistakes that I made on the World Team Trophy, partly due to ignorance of how to distribute my forces throughout the season, so that they were enough from beginning to end.

I am very glad that I turned out to be selected for the World Championship and perform at WTT. At the beginning of the season it was difficult for me to make plans in advance, to think what will happen after the injury and operation. Thanks to my coach Svetlana Vladimirovna (Sokolovskaya), Who believes in me, our Federation, which helped a lot. Without this help, I would not have passed the path that I have overcome this season.

A lot of things came out of what we wanted and planned, something failed. But the season was very unusual, with surprises. A lot of impressions from competitions in Japan is a great pleasure to perform in this country. They are very fond of figure skating, many fans, fans who give gifts, constantly write, support athletes. All this is pleasant and motivates to work on, to show the best skating.

- How do you see your further development? This season you tried a new jump in your programs - quadruple flip.

- My answer is: we will not retreat back. As for the quad flip, I mastered it this season. I wanted to show the jump at the start. But still I didn’t have enough time and competitive experience to perform it purely. But I acquired the skills and knowledge to make this element stable next season.

- You do not think that it was a little risky to insert a quadruple flip into the short program? Perhaps worth a try in free?

- We always take risks, leaving the ice arena. And now I don’t want to look back, what would have happened if everything had turned out differently. It is better to take risks now and run everything right away, because the goals are high and you need to check your strength and capabilities.

- Is it difficult to play in team tournaments, where the responsibility is not only for yourself, but also for the team?

- In Fukuoka was a very festive atmosphere, calm, even somewhere relaxed. And I would really like to return to this tournament again, because it’s great. It's great when the team supports you, when everyone is together.

- Did the guys support you after the unsuccessful short program?

- All supported, for which he thanks a lot. We had a very friendly team. All found the right words, because only together we are strong.

- Do you quickly move away from unsuccessful starts?

- All this comes with experience - the ability to shut down, forget the setbacks and tune in the next day. Since last season, I gradually gain experience, strength and become a full-time athlete.

- This season you took part in Ilya Averbukh’s show for the first time. What is new for yourself?

- I want to say a big thank you to Ilya, who invited me to the show. For me it was important in terms of new knowledge, because my name is not so often on the show. Exit and performances in public, without bright light, on small venues - all these factors, of course, interfere, but at the same time make me stronger. I think this will help me in competitive practice.

- Before the current collection in Italy, you had new programs delivered. Can you talk about them?

- We decided to change both programs. Free program put Nikolai Morozov, the music chosen by Ksenia Stolbova. Svetlana Vladimirovna (coach - note) listened, she liked it. Us too. I worked with Nikolai for the first time and got great pleasure. He is a creative person, with his approach. While working on the program, I recognized and drew a lot of interesting things for myself. When the program is ready, knurled, it will turn out unusual - the kind that Morozov puts. It seems to me that his programs always inspire, because he gives himself to work completely.

The short program was staged by Albena Denkova - Maxim Stavitsky. And it was also very exciting. We wanted to take non-beat, unwound music, so as not to repeat, but to stand out, but could not make a choice. Albena and Maxim offered their own version, which everyone also liked. In this program, I change my style a little.

- Your group is now at a training camp in Italy, along with St. Petersburg skaters Evgeny Rukavitsyn. You train with Dima Aliyev, other guys. Is it "invigorating"?

- First, unlike last year's camp in Italy, where I was just recovering, now I skate - I train in full force. I hope this helps to fully enter the season. And together with Dima, we prepared for the gathering before the Olympic Games. Fees are a workflow, and joint fees add interest, excitement, competitive moment, which benefits everyone. After Italy there will be a joint gathering in Kislovodsk.

- You said that you have high goals for next season. Which ones?

- Show what we do in training. We need to start with this. Of course, raise the second assessment. Learn to enjoy the performances. Learn in a good sense of the word free yourself on the ice. With a calm head to go out and skate. Then everything will be as we want.

- In the Russian figure skating, the representatives of the men's single skating are now in the shadow of the girls who are winning the most prestigious titles. Athletes are often criticized. What would you say to them?

- We will take ours, and I want to say this for myself, for my team, my coach ... It’s just not all at once. But we will come and achieve our goal. It takes a little time to get comfortable in world figure skating in the international arena. This year I debuted at two world championships - personal and team. I repeat once again that I received a great experience that will help me. I think we will cope, we will prove and take our rightful place.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New interviews. Roman is on the cover of "Moscow figure skater" magazine!!! Also head coach of the Junior National team, Galina Golubkova says a few things about the junior boys. Google translated.

Roman Savosin: "It all happened the way I wanted it."
pgs 14-18
- Roman, who in your childhood made a choice in favor of figure skating: you or your family?
As I was told, nothing was planned at all. Everything happened almost by accident. At the age of three, I loved to ride the tram with my mother or grandmother. Once again, all three went to tram number 23, which used to go along Leningradsky Avenue, and when we drove past the SyUP, my mother used to practiced figure skating, then she and my grandmother decided to go visit friends. There just went through a set of groups in figure skating. They asked me: "Do you want to ride?" I said: "I want."
- Do you have a skater mom?
- Yes, she just skated on the SyUP, and then at the end of her career she worked in the theater of Igor Bobrin, and now she works as a coach with amateurs.
- Who was your first coach?
- To be honest, I do not remember the very first coach who was in SyUP. I began to study for three years, skate and for some reason quit. Then a year later I returned to the ice, but already at CSKA, because the SyUP was closed. At CSKA, Andrey Grigoryevich Hekalo became my coach. Then he left to train pairs, and for some time I studied with Oksana Lyashnevskaya. In 2008 I moved to the group of Alexey Alexandrovich Chetverukhin. Already 11 years I ride, of them last seven years at the Yantar skating rink at the school of Elena Anatolyevna's “The Tchaikovsky Skate”.
- Your path to the pedestal was not fast, and when an athlete takes a long time to succeed, hands may fall. What motivated you to keep doing?
- Well, that's what motivated. The longer I could not climb the pedestal, the more I wanted. Of course, I had moments when I thought: “Burn it with fire! I'm tired of all." But it quickly passed. I realized inside myself that I could achieve a result.
- What is the style of skating closer to you? How do you see yourself on the ice?
- Now I prefer to skate to classical music, like the one that was in the free program. It seems to me that I also feel good lyrical music.
- Rachmaninov for the free program - was it your idea?
- No, I offered my option - the group "M83" they have beautiful music, I often listen to it by mood. I offered Anastasia Nikolaevna (Kazakova, the choreographer-director) several compositions from their album. She listened and suggested Rachmaninov. I, frankly, at first did not like it very much, but then I listened to it, and I began to like it more and more.
- At the World Championships at what point did the feeling come that everything turned out?
- You know, I usually present my speech in my head, scroll through the brain all the elements, ligaments, parts, mentally perform them cleanly and beautifully. I am building my perfect rental in my head. This time, already at the final pose, there was an understanding that everything turned out the way I wanted it. Probably, this is the most pleasant sensations that an athlete can have in life. There was a moment of joy inside, which is not even described. It is such a buzz. Happiness.
- Had a premonition that this time you will be with a medal?
- Yes. I, despite the fact that I was sixth after a short, still tuned in to the net rent of the program and to win. I was sure that I would be in the top three.
- This season, more than once at important starts you had a situation where you skate the short program so-so. How does it feel to get yourself upstairs from the basement?
- After the short program in any case - you're the first or the twentieth - about the results and the place in the table should be forgotten as soon as possible to go on the free from scratch. In competitions, the free program decides everything, especially in junior tournaments, because almost everyone does the same set of elements. I have two triple axels in my program and two quadruple jumps - if you do them cleanly, you can get good scores and claim a medal.
- At one time, all the content of quadruple jumps in athletes consisted solely of two names - toe loop and salchow and suddenly - once! Athletes jumped loop, flip, lutz. Now in the world there are 3-4 athletes who own all quad jumps. Does it mean that now without a full set of jumps will it be impossible to win? And what does this mean to you?
- Without a full set of jumps, you can probably still win. For example, Javier Fernandez did it for expense of quality performance of all elements and due to presentation of the program. It is clear that each skater has his own strategy: someone rotates the Biellmann, performs jumps in splits, challenging steps like Jason Brown. His results show that if you do all non-jump elements better than anyone else, take quality, you can fight. As for me, I would rather follow the path of learning the quadruple jumps. First, I don't have such skating as Brown's, secondly, I even want to learn for the sake of excitement difficult quadruple jumps. Last season I already did lutz and flip in training sessions, but it happened that the competitive season began, and we stopped training them. Now in the spring I will raise them again. With another hand, the program can not be stupidly filled with jumps and think that this way you will win. In skating need a golden mean.
- Your jumps are easy?
- Well, traditionally I had serious problems with the axel. Axel is the key that unlocked me to all the other jumps. I remember when I was learning the double axel, I could not get it. I was taught for a long time, but as soon as I learned, I immediately began to do all the triple jumps. The same situation was with the triple axel: I began to jump and then quadruple jumps. With quads in general, somehow it happened that I did salchow and toe loop in one day. It's only the beginning
- Roman, what did you miss this time to win? Were the judges unfair or are the rivals very strong?
- No, I always look for the reason in myself. If we talk about these competitions, then, unfortunately, small under-rotations crawled out on jumps. This is probably my main problem. I have a common mistake in jumping lies in the position: it is not very dense, and often the exit is questionable. What is called "at the discretion of the judge." At this time even on a triple loop managed not to finish, and the judges put a check. If I did, then won the championship. Probably, there are no such elements to which I would think lightly. Even spins and steps require constant monitoring. In the same free program, my rotation suddenly turned out the third level. I did not hold the position. So that all questions to myself.
- Who was happy for you?
- My coaches, Elena Anatolyevna, all friends and close people. Especially the family - mother, grandmother, younger brothers. But now again it is necessary to forget about this medal, because now the most interesting things are just beginning.
- Is it psychologically difficult for you to start all over again?
- Well no. It would be more difficult if I had bad luck at the Junior World Championships. And so I have a feeling that I have completed my task, all the more that I won the free program. I, on the contrary, I even want to start the adult season as soon as possible, I'm waiting for him eagerly.
- You have already analyzed what place you are ready to take in an adult team?
- I didn’t specifically think about the place, but I know everybody’s rivals, because I already competed with them more than once. I know that I can fight them, but how it will be and what happens will show at the competition. Therefore I want to start doing it already.
- Have you thought about why we have such a problem in the national men's skating? If so, what are the thoughts on this?
- I thought, of course. But I do not know the answer. This is a very hard question. Perhaps the mentality of us, boys, like that. The girls skate and jump as if they have a spring inside. Why boys can't do that ... It's hard to say.
- What university are you studying at?
- So far, I am now a sports soldier. In May, I will demobilize and will enroll in some sport university.
- How do you spend your free time?
- I listen to music, I sit on the Internet, I read books periodically. I go to hockey, I have a subscription for the entire KHL season, I support CSKA.
- Roman, all this time you were not such a popular media figure as other skaters. I hope that after the silver at the Junior World Championships, fans will believe in you and experts will start talking. Say this did the result somehow change you?
- I do not even know. I feel joy that everything turned out, and I look forward to next season.

Galina Golubkova (only the parts that concerns the boys)
pgs 8-13

- Galina Petrovna, many juniors who started performing in this status will be transferred to the adult team by 2022, and some of them will participate in the Games in Beijing. Please share your impressions of our junior team of the new cycle: what surprised you? Pleased, alarmed?
- In general, if you give the evaluation of the junior season, then at the Grand Prix stages, our athletes dominated so much that the final of the series turned out to be Russian, with the exception of the men, where out of ten of our participants of the stages went into the final only one, Petr Gumennik (St. Petersburg, coach Veronica Daineko), who managed to climb on the second step of the pedestal.

What we still have we have problems in this form, showed the Championship of Russia, where the performances of young men did not add optimism. On the one hand, out of 18 participants, 13 in the short program showed a triple axel, which pleases, but on the other ... If they were able to skate the short program more or less cleanly, which gave us some hope, in the free program hope died. When an athlete breaks off the short program and turns out to be behind the top ten, and then, by the results of the free, he finds himself in prizes, it speaks not so much about his performance, but how bad others skated.

In short, the young men were more unpredictable than could have been expected. A similar problem applies to the adult team. One thing is difficult to explain the reason. Someone lacks a male character, a leadership shaft, like Yagudin and Plushenko, someone ceases to progress in technology, someone does not give choreography and presentation, someone has an irresistible "minus" at the start and so on. In my opinion, still one problem of our young men is that they stay for a long time at the junior level and are in no hurry to switch to an adult. As a rule, they all until the last - up to 19 years - skate on juniors in softer for themselves competitive conditions, delaying the moment of transition, even if technically ready. Probably all it comes from self-doubt and lack of ambition. Therefore, answering your question, I will say that single skating of young men is, perhaps, the only species that is disturbing. But coaches work, looking for opportunities to overcome this instability. For example, Daniil Samsonov (Moscow, trainers Eteri Tutberidze, Sergey Dudakov) pleased us all season, which not only did not lose a single start, but also acted very smoothly without disruption. At the Championship he had only one drawback - a step-out on the twisted quadruple lutz in the program, which he performed cleanly on the warm-up. Next season he will start the Grand Prix, and we hope for it.

And I must say that at the end of the season we were very pleased with Roman Savosin (Moscow, coaches Alexey Chetverukhin, Anastasia Kazakova), who won the free program at the Junior World Championships and rose from sixth place after the short to silver.

- It used to be that once young men go through their puberty, then they can learn jumping elements at a later age. However, in Perm, at the Championship, we saw 13-year-old Daniil Samsonov, who already owns quadruple jumps and a triple axel. In Canada, there is also a 14-year-old Russian-born athlete Stephen Gogolev, who jumps quadruple jumps. Filling their programs gives us a reason to think that this technique can also successfully work on young men.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
News update:

Senior team:
Main: Dmitrii Aliev, Mikhail Kolyada, Andrei Lazukin, Roman Savosin, Aleksandr Samarin
Reserve: Sergei Voronov, Makar Ignatov, Aleksandr Petrov, Anton Shulepov

Junior team:
Main: Petr Gumennik, Arthur Danielian, Alexei Erokhov, Georgy Kunitsa, Andrei Mozalev, Egor Murashov
Reserve: Aleksandr Golubev, Gleb Lutfullin, Egor Rukhin

*No Erokhov/Murashov are not juniors, they just will receive funding!

Novice team
Main: Maxim Belyavskii, Matvei Vetlugin, Daniil Samsonov, Ilya Yablokov
Reserve: Andrei Kutovoi, Semyon Soloviev, Arsenii Fedotov

https://www.minsport.gov.ru/2019/doc/FigurKatanie_sp2019-20ot290519.pdf

Also, now confirmed (St. Petersburg published their team as well)
Andrei Kutovoi to Daineko
Mikhail Polianskii and Maximilian Ermolin to Rukavitsin

And,
Ilia Skirda to Alexander Zhulin (unconfirmed; his instagram)

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
what does it mean in terms of GP assignments? will Sergei Voronov still get 2?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
what does it mean in terms of GP assignments? will Sergei Voronov still get 2?

It doesn't tell us anything about his chances to get GP assignments. Sinitsina & Katsalapov were on the reserve team last year because they didn't have a result from Nationals. Voronov is in the same boat.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why is Savosin in the main team and Voronov in the Reserve group?:scratch2:

Well if FSkate is correct, the primary deciders are Nats and the Cup final and Voronov has no results at either due to injury. So it's Savosin's 3rd at JrN and silver at JrW up against Voronov 6th at GPF. Savosin won out and I think that's fair :confused2: Honestly, I expected the team to be just like this with Savosin in the main and Voronov in reserves. Did not expect Erokhov and Murashov to get junior main though.

gmyers

Record Breaker
It’s very clear!! After Europeans when everyone in the skating establishment agreed Samarin had no talent he stopped doing well anywhere. So we’ll see if he’s recovered from that in the GP. One of clearest psychological injuries ever!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Few thoughts on the GP assignments.

Skate America: Nathan Chen and Jason Brown scores will be skyrocketed since we are in US, and they'd definitely want to skate well at home so i think gold and silver are locked unless we see some surprise mistake. Bronze is open for Aliev i think more than Savosin (it's his senior debut, i'm not expecting huge components out of the gate, he needs clean performances to make a statement). Boyang Jin has often skated bad in US in the past, either he's not ready in October or jet lag i don't know, Junhwan Cha and Keegan Messing also have a chance for bronze.

Skate Canada: Yuzuru Hanyu is clearly the favourite for gold but the other 2 spots in the podium are wide open to me, i'd say Kolyada would be a serious candidate for the silver with decent performances but as we all know he's a late bloomer. Matteo Rizzo, Nam Nguyen, Andrei Lazukin, Keji Tanaka they all have a shot at the podium.

Internationaux de France: Shoma Uno and Nathan Chen are the favourites, bronze could be anyone (Aymoz, Samarin, Voronov, Kvitelashvili,...). I'm happy Shulepov has a GP spot this season, i like his skating.

Cup of China: This is the most unpredictable event, Vincent Zhou and Boyang Jin maybe have a slight advantage for gold, beyond that anything can happen. Good medal opportunity for either Lazukin or Savosin.

Rostelecom Cup: Shoma Uno is the favourite, Kvitelashvili usually skates well and receive good marks in Russia, Vincent Zhou is also there although back to back event from China to Russia, it's a long trip, i don't know how that will go. Sasha Samarin and Aliev have a chance at least for the bronze.

NHK: Hanyu, Kolyada and Brown would be my podium prediction but who knows with Kolyada, and we know Voronov likes to skate in Japan.

Also, now confirmed (St. Petersburg published their team as well)
Andrei Kutovoi to Daineko

I'm curious how this will go, Daineko has done a great job with Gumennik and Kutovoi is very talented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQYQUJjk0Qs

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We may get Junior test skates live :drama:

Young Russian figure skaters for the first time will present their programs for the season on the ice. Watch live broadcasts, the best moments of rentals, as well as interviews with future stars of figure skating on the site of the First Channel.
https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...v-2019-20?utm_referrer=https://zen.yandex.com

Aug 1-9th. Well that's news!

ETA:
Schedule for boys (w/ broadcasting links), 10am Moscow time (3am EST) both days !
Monday, Aug 5th (SP/FP) https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...edi-yuniorov-2019-20/schedule?date=2019-08-05
Tuesday, Aug 6th (SP/FP) https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...edi-yuniorov-2019-20/schedule?date=2019-08-06

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ETA:
Schedule for boys (w/ broadcasting links), 10am Moscow time (3am EST) both days !
Monday, Aug 5th (SP/FP) https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...edi-yuniorov-2019-20/schedule?date=2019-08-05
Tuesday, Aug 6th (SP/FP) https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...edi-yuniorov-2019-20/schedule?date=2019-08-06

Schedule for senior men test skates (Channel 1) with broadcasting links, 10am Moscow time (3am EST)!

Saturday, Sept 7th (SP) https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...omu-kataniyu-2019-20/schedule?date=2019-09-07
Sunday, Sept 8th (FP) https://www.1tv.ru/sport/predsezonn...omu-kataniyu-2019-20/schedule?date=2019-09-08