2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
As for Samarin, he may be better off missing Worlds this season. Reading his recent interviews, I feel that behind his downward trajectory, there are a lot more than boot problems which he chose not to talk about. Whatever the underlying cause is, just let him rest and figure it out with his coaching team, so that he can better prepare himself for next season, when the pressure of bringing back 3 spots will get even greater (because people seldom learn from history :devil:) and room for failure even smaller. If the Fed keeps burdening him with high expectations at this moment, I'm afraid that nothing nice is going to come out of this.

(Another thing that might be a concern: his SP really not going well lately. If this trend continues at Worlds and he drops out of the first two groups, the damage to his PCS is going to limit the ceiling of his score in FS, regardless of his performance, and may have influence further into next season. Worlds is in Canada this year. Basically any Russian skater there should be particularly careful...)

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
It will negatively impact my calm demeanour if Mozalev is not selected for the JWC. It is the only decision & outcome in FS sphere that could potentially do it.

Sofia

On the Ice
It will negatively impact my calm demeanour if Mozalev is not selected to the JWC.

Let's hope it doesn't happen :pray: As long as he doesn't stress himself out, everything should be fine. IMO the most vulnerable is Gumennik.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Let's hope it doesn't happen :pray: As long as he doesn't stress himself out, everything should be fine. IMO the most vulnerable is Gumennik.

:ghug: Danielian, Mozalev and Samsonov are an impressive trio in the mid-teens age group. I had probably missed the best of Gummenik, having only started to watch juniors during the last JW where Danielian looked remarkable, and Savosin ended up medaling :)

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
As for Samarin, he may be better off missing Worlds this season. Reading his recent interviews, I feel that behind his downward trajectory, there are a lot more than boot problems which he chose not to talk about. Whatever the underlying cause is, just let him rest and figure it out with his coaching team, so that he can better prepare himself for next season, when the pressure of bringing back 3 spots will get even greater (because people seldom learn from history :devil:) and room for failure even smaller. If the Fed keeps burdening him with high expectations at this moment, I'm afraid that nothing nice is going to come out of this.

(Another thing that might be a concern: his SP really not going well lately. If this trend continues at Worlds and he drops out of the first two groups, the damage to his PCS is going to limit the ceiling of his score in FS, regardless of his performance, and may have influence further into next season. Worlds is in Canada this year. Basically any Russian skater there should be particularly careful...)

I have to agree with this, as much as I love Samarin (unpopular opinion lol) I couldn't really justify sending him to Worlds nor do I think it would be good for him at this point. Danielian proved he's worthy twice in a row, so if he wants to go he should. I hope the #1 pressure is not on Aliev now though, I don't think anyone benefits from that.

ewdokia

On the Ice
Its not really nothing to lose situation for Artur if RusFed want 3 spots.
And I want a pink elephant. :biggrin::laugh: It should not be Artur’s problem if RF has unrealistic dreams. Beside that I don’t see any skater who could bring them 3 spots, if Samarin skates at Worlds like he did at Euros, they might even lose their 2nd spot. For the time being their best choice still would be Artur.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
And I want a pink elephant. :biggrin::laugh: It should not be Artur’s problem if RF has unrealistic dreams. Beside that I don’t see any skater who could bring them 3 spots, if Samarin skates at Worlds like he did at Euros, they might even lose their 2nd spot. For the time being their best choice still would be Artur.

I want several million dollars in USD but I checked my account today, and I'm several million short..................

And there are no combination of skaters that are going to bring back those 3 spots. People need to let that go. If it happens great, but they definitely need a bit of luck which could happen, the guys outside of Nathan are not above bombing, but I don't want them to be pressured to do so. Nothing good comes of that. Artur's goal should be top 12. I think that's doable. I guess top 6 for Dmitri. Anybody else, top 12 too (cause I feel like they are so going to screw over Artur, meh).

Here's the ISU summary of Euros for men https://youtu.be/T9FIloBHRR8
Lots of Artur/Dmitri (and Moris).

Upcoming competitions
TallinK Hotels Cup (Feb 15-16)
Samarin
Sviridenko (international debut)
Semenenko (senior debut)
Juniors: Dikidzhi
http://www.tallinkhotelscup.com/uploads/3/0/2/1/30212437/entries_international_2501.pdf

This is fairly close to the Cup Final so I don't really expect any of these guys to be there. I think there is only a 2 day or so turnaround.

Roster to Junior Nats :shrug: Maybe tomorrow..................maybe not!

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I have to agree with this, as much as I love Samarin (unpopular opinion lol) I couldn't really justify sending him to Worlds nor do I think it would be good for him at this point. Danielian proved he's worthy twice in a row, so if he wants to go he should. I hope the #1 pressure is not on Aliev now though, I don't think anyone benefits from that.

When Samarin is on, he seems a big beautiful skater. I have an inkling that he is more impressive live than on TV.

Sofia

On the Ice
And there are no combination of skaters that are going to bring back those 3 spots. People need to let that go. If it happens great, but they definitely need a bit of luck which could happen, the guys outside of Nathan are not above bombing, but I don't want them to be pressured to do so. Nothing good comes of that. Artur's goal should be top 12. I think that's doable. I guess top 6 for Dmitri. Anybody else, top 12 too (cause I feel like they are so going to screw over Artur, meh).

Totally agree :agree: Wishing RusFed doesn't arrange any drama so this topic won't be brought up again and again :drama:

Actually I'm so bored that I wish JrNats start tomorrow :palmf:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It will negatively impact my calm demeanour if Mozalev is not selected for the JWC. It is the only decision & outcome in FS sphere that could potentially do it.

I am going to trust this is GS forum drama and not a veiled threat. I am going to have confidence that if Mozalev is not selected you won't do something irrational that will hurt you or anyone. It isn't worth it. We all know in skating with judging anything can happen - who would have thought PC would lose the Euro gold without major major errors.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Totally agree :agree: Wishing RusFed doesn't arrange any drama so this topic won't be brought up again and again :drama:

Actually I'm so bored that I wish JrNats start tomorrow :palmf:

I just hope they do the best they can. Artur looks so dimmunitive and young compared to the other men. Realistically Gold and Silver appear spoken for with Nathan and Hanyu. The re emergence of Shoma doesn't bode well for a Russian medal. They also have to deal with Jason and third American; Rizzo, Aymoz, Yan, Boyang, whatever Canadian man goes is capable of beating both Russians plus some of the otherr European men who tend to go up and down like a rollercoaster.

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
When Samarin is on, he seems a big beautiful skater. I have an inkling that he is more impressive live than on TV.

I did in fact see him in person at Euros and enjoyed watching him very much (in practice too) despite the technical troubles, so yeah, at least me can confirm your assumption. :D I feel like he's so close to being great but something's holding him back. That's an assumption of mine of course but I do hope they can figure out whatever issues he has so we can see him at his best.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Samarin has huge jumps, enormous jumps.
People can say whatever they want, but damn his jumps are impressive.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I am going to trust this is GS forum drama and not a veiled threat. I am going to have confidence that if Mozalev is not selected you won't do something irrational that will hurt you or anyone. It isn't worth it. We all know in skating with judging anything can happen - who would have thought PC would lose the Euro gold without major major errors.

Full self-disclosure: I envision having to locate and hug my loyal cat and complain at length to my mom about the world being a cold and uncaring place.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
First news first, Artur is not going to Saransk for Jr. Nats. His participation at Jr vs SrW will be decided next week https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1082816823.html I guess it depends on who finishes in the top 3 at JrNats otherwise why the additional wait? I'm telling you, they will screw him over for more than likely Samarin unless Samsonov is #3 at nats. Because if Sarmarin goes to SrW and Danielian to JrW, CSKA will have 2 skaters at the big event instead of 1.

Second news, RusFed just published criteria to forming the national team for the next season. This is always "good to know."
The Russian Figure Skating Federation (FFKKR) on its official website published the selection criteria for the country's leading athletes for inclusion in the Russian national team.

The main criterion for inclusion in the composition of candidates for the Russian team are the results shown by athletes at the World and European Championships, as well as the Russian Championship. Individuals must enter the top 18 at the world championship, the top 12 at the European championship, the top 8 at the national championship, in pair skating and ice dancing at these tournaments, skaters must be in the top 15, top 10 and 6 best pairs respectively. Also taken into account are the results shown by athletes at the World Championships among juniors, the stages of the Grand Prix series and the Junior Grand Prix series, the Cup Final of Russia, the championship and sports day of Russia. The formation and approval of the composition takes place annually until May 15.

The formation of the team for the European and World Championships and the Olympic Games includes the following selection criteria: sports result shown during the season; complexity and prospects of programs; positive dynamics of the results; performance stability; level of technical, physical and choreographic readiness; psychological stability; motivation and perspective opportunities of the skater.

The main qualifying competition for participation in the main starts of the season (European, World and Olympic Championships) is the Russian Championship. It is noted that the final composition of the national team for participation in the Olympic Games (in the Olympic season) and the World Cup (in the non-Olympic season) can be adjusted taking into account the results of the athletes in the European Championship.

https://rsport.ria.ru/20200129/1564010474.html

So hopefully that would clarify why for example Savosin (JrW silver medalist) was in the main team vs Voronov who was on the reserve team (no nats, euros, worlds but grand prix medals/final participant).

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you for the update on AD! I hope that whatever decision is reached, in the long run it will be beneficial for him.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I did in fact see him in person at Euros and enjoyed watching him very much (in practice too) despite the technical troubles, so yeah, at least me can confirm your assumption. :D I feel like he's so close to being great but something's holding him back. That's an assumption of mine of course but I do hope they can figure out whatever issues he has so we can see him at his best.

Ah, it ought to had been lovely!