2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 32 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

ewdokia

On the Ice
I'm telling you, they will screw him over for more than likely Samarin unless Samsonov is #3 at nats. Because if Sarmarin goes to SrW and Danielian to JrW, CSKA will have 2 skaters at the big event instead of 1.
Please don’t let this be the reason. :eeking: There might be other reasons as well: maybe Artur and his coach wait how the other juniors skate to asses his chances for a medal? Or RF ordered to wait until they now the results of RJN – no way Artur will go to JW if Samsonov would be 3rd. :p

While it’s not so good for Artur that they have to decide right after RJN, I think it's very fair to the other Juniors. Whoever will be 3rd at RJN should know right afterwards, if he will compete at JW or not.

Second news, RusFed just published criteria to forming the national team for the next season. This is always "good to know."
https://rsport.ria.ru/20200129/1564010474.html
So hopefully that would clarify why for example Savosin (JrW silver medalist) was in the main team vs Voronov who was on the reserve team (no nats, euros, worlds but grand prix medals/final participant).
It does. I red the criteria and all I can say is … :bang::bang::bang: This criteria will explain basically all and nothing. Great for RF to have mostly subjective criteria at their hands to form any outcome to their likings. :rolleye: My favorite is “motivation and perspective opportunities of the skater.” :palmf:

thatbeatingheart

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Samarin has huge jumps, enormous jumps.
People can say whatever they want, but damn his jumps are impressive.

His jumps are obviously his biggest strength but while he's not the greatest artist I think there are glimpses into what he might be capable of. I personally love his FS step sequence for example, he's been selling it throughout most of the season (not so much at Euros unfortunately, my favourite is probably his Shanghai Trophy performance). Aaah, so much unfulfilled potential with the Russian Men. :drama:

[...]

It does. I red the criteria and all I can say is … :bang::bang::bang: This criteria will explain basically all and nothing. Great for RF to have mostly subjective criteria at their hands to form any outcome to their likings. :rolleye: My favorite is “motivation and perspective opportunities of the skater.” :palmf:

Lol same, why even publish so-called criteria when the decision won't be comprehensible for anyone ouside RusFed anyway. I mean all these make sense / are things that need to be considered but even as a skater you can't know what you have to do in order to be chosen? (Apart from winning Nationals maybe.)

Speaking of Nationals, I'm glad that Artur doesn't have to compete at Jr. Nats and remain curious how the selection will turn out.

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
Second news, RusFed just published criteria to forming the national team for the next season. This is always "good to know."

https://rsport.ria.ru/20200129/1564010474.html

Well the link to the original text
https://fsrussia.ru/files/docs/selection_criteria_2020.pdf

Criteria for singles (It is not specified whether each criterion is for junior and/or senior team selection):
World Championships: 1 - 18
European championships: 1 - 12
Junior World Championships: 1 - 10
Stages of the ISU Grand Prix: 1 - 8
Russian Championships: 1 - 8
Russian Cup Final: 1 - 5
Championships and/or Spartakiad of Russia:
• juniors 1 - 8
• older boys and girls 1 - 6
• younger boys and girls 1 - 3
Stages of the junior ISU Grand Prix: 1 - 8

So hopefully that would clarify why for example Savosin (JrW silver medalist) was in the main team vs Voronov who was on the reserve team (no nats, euros, worlds but grand prix medals/final participant).
Perhaps it counts as an explanation that in the above criteria they do put WJC before GP and RN :dumb: Also among the subjective criteria there are more than one which could be used against veterans who start strong but lose steam halfway through the season

The new criteria is equally baffling as before. Basically nothing new there, so no big changes in future practice?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well the link to the original text
https://fsrussia.ru/files/docs/selection_criteria_2020.pdf

Criteria for singles (It is not specified whether each criterion is for junior and/or senior team selection):

Perhaps it counts as an explanation that in the above criteria they do put WJC before GP and RN :dumb: Also among the subjective criteria there are more than one which could be used against veterans who start strong but lose steam halfway through the season

The new criteria is equally baffling as before. Basically nothing new there, so no big changes in future practice?

Well wjc and JrNats medalist should be above gp medalist who didn't finish the season, IMO. So I have no problem with the criteria or guessing who will be on the team and who will not :confused2:

Samsonov: A star on the rise
New interview, English https://www.ifsmagazine.com/daniil-samsonov-a-star-on-the-rise/

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
I suspect the magic of Photoshop when I look at the picture in that article.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excellent! I am glad they didn’t sit on it until the end of the Jr.Nat. I can’t wait to see all those skaters (DAAD team as relevant to this thread!) in Montreal!

Are you going? I may go!

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
Artur also on the preliminary schedule for Russian Cup Final.

Isn't he supposed to do WJC in Tallinn??? wouldn't it be a little too much of a load? Or will he skip WJC??

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I suppose careful choices need to be made. Artur must feel confident and secure in his programs if he is to have any chance in Worlds.

So perhaps a competition to do a last check or put some finishing touches here and there?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Isn't he supposed to do WJC in Tallinn??? wouldn't it be a little too much of a load? Or will he skip WJC??

No, he is doing Senior Worlds, not Junior. Junior team should be decided by the end of next week, unless something unpredictable happens.

MGstyle

Crawling around on the ice after chestnuts
Medalist
No, he is doing Senior Worlds, not Junior. Junior team should be decided by the end of next week, unless something unpredictable happens.

Yes, I had read correctly. but since competing in both WJC and WC which are less than two weeks apart is not unheard of, I clearly remember Deniss Vasiljevs did in 2016 - so I was wondering.
But whereas Deniss is the sole representative of Latvia, Jr. field in Russia is pretty deep, so perhaps there is no need to compete also in WJC...? we shall see.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Yes, I had read correctly. but since competing in both WJC and WC which are less than two weeks apart is not unheard of, I clearly remember Deniss Vasiljevs did in 2016 - so I was wondering.
But whereas Deniss is the sole representative of Latvia, Jr. field in Russia is pretty deep, so perhaps there is no need to compete also in WJC...? we shall see.

I assume it is the dynamic duo of Mozalev/Samsonov +1, where +1 is either Gummenik or whoever replaces Gummenik

Not to be confused with Team USA...

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

This year, it's 1 week. The last day of Junior Worlds is March 8th, so presumably, the skater will leave Monday, March 9. The first practice for Senior Worlds is the follow Monday, March 16th in Canada. There's no way they would set him up for exhaustion with spots on the line at SrW. There are 7 candidates that can go to Junior Worlds. Off the top of my head there's, Mozalev, Samsonov, Gumennik, Kovalev, Kutovoi, Rukhin, Lutfullin. They don't need Artur.

ETA: Also congrats to Yablokov, who I forgot to mention above, also a candidate for JrW, he got his Master of Sports today
https://www.minsport.gov.ru/documents/awards/34538/

So funny, Danielian is still stuck on Candidate for Master of Spots, while Rukhin, Vetlugin, Yablokov have their MoS :laugh: Reminds me of Trusova.

Sofia

Lil sweetheart has big ideas
On the Ice
So funny, Danielian is still stuck on Candidate for Master of Spots, while Rukhin, Vetlugin, Yablokov have their MoS :laugh: Reminds me of Trusova.

What's got him stuck on the way to MoS? :confused:

By competition results, he is now eligible for Master of Sport, International Class, with 2nd place at Euros. Is it possible to award him both MoS and MoSIC at the same time? Or does it have to be done one step at a time?