2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Perhaps Voronov should crack the whip over them, or kick them in the b.tt to get them to move.

The men can take a leaf from the 'Handbook of physical and psychological preparation for Skaters' from the girls and women.

The skills are there, it's just the men to me seem either too wild, like roosters in a fighting pit, or too lame, like a newspaper left on a rainy street.

Who is overall in charge of Russian single male figure skating? Still waiting for some analysis in the press, so far everybody is complaining, etc. but no n answers were given.

Artemisa

Final Flight
They fall and fall ... they need to practice with the girls ...

They have good programs, good skating skills, they know how to jump ... why they can't skate clean??

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
They fall and fall ... they need to practice with the girls ...

They have good programs, good skating skills, they know how to jump ... why they can't skate clean??

Here's an interesting fact:

Andrei Mozalev who won the last JGP has been landing quad toes and 3a in his programs since last year when he was 15.

While if we look at the senior russians:

Alexander Samarin according to his wikipedia landed his first 3A at the age of 15-16 at Russian Nationals 2014 and started to land quad toe in the season 2015-16 when he was 17-18.

I remember the first quad toe landed by Mikhail Kolyada in 2015-16 when he was 20-21, before that he had to deal with injuries skipping seasons, etc.

Andrei Lazukin started to land quad toes in competition in 2016-2017 at the age of 19-20.

So perhaps one reason is that a lot of these skaters started to work on these big elements later (and always only quad toe, never the other quads) and as of result they're still not comfortable with them.

The only exception is Dmitri Aliev who had the quad toe since his first year in juniors grand prix at the age of 15, and in the junior days he was on par with Nathan Chen, then something happened in the transition into seniors.

Artemisa

Final Flight
Here's an interesting fact:

Andrei Mozalev who won the last JGP has been landing quad toes and 3a in his programs since last year when he was 15.

While if we look at the senior russians:

Alexander Samarin according to his wikipedia landed his first 3A at the age of 15-16 at Russian Nationals 2014 and started to land quad toe in the season 2015-16 when he was 17-18.

I remember the first quad toe landed by Mikhail Kolyada in 2015-16 when he was 20-21, before that he had to deal with injuries skipping seasons, etc.

Andrei Lazukin started to land quad toes in competition in 2016-2017 at the age of 19-20.

So perhaps one reason is that a lot of these skaters started to work on these big elements later (and always only quad toe, never the other quads) and as of result they're still not comfortable with them.

The only exception is Dmitri Aliev who had the quad toe since his first year in juniors grand prix at the age of 15, and in the junior days he was on par with Nathan Chen, then something happened in the transition into seniors.

I don't think that's the problem ... they can land then and very well ... but when things go wrong in one jump is like they give up ... I don't know if is the pressure ...

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I don't think that's the problem ... they can land then and very well ... but when things go wrong in one jump is like they give up ... I don't know if is the pressure ...

For sure they can land them, but what's the percentage of successful landing in practice.

My theory is that someone like Samsonov if he doesn't get injured or has issues with the coach, he will handle better quads because he started soo much earlier to work on them, in particular the quad lutz which for all those seniors it is still a fairly new element.

With 5 years of quads in competition by the time he turns into seniors, he should not feel the pressure at all, it's an element just like the others.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
I don't think when a skater started landing quads in competition has anything to do with their overall consistency later in their career. Once you've mastered a jump, you've mastered it. Sure, you can lose it because of changing physiological realities like rapid growth or injury, but a skater who is currently deemed to 'have' a jump doesn't have more or less of it depending on how many seasons ago they first included it in their program.

However, there might be a tendency among Russian men to attempt jumps in competition that they don't land frequently in practice, due to the potential reward of a successful try, whereas top male skaters in other countries could typically weigh the risk of a fall/unsuccessful attempt more heavily and only include jumps in their programs that they feel secure in. In other words, the consistency threshold above which a jump becomes competition-worthy might be lower among Russian male skaters because of coaching style/federation pressure/inflated prestige of quads domestically (I totally buy the last one, given how common it is for Russian men to overemphasise jumps at the expense of skating skills, choreo, spins, etc. in their programs--you see this fixation on difficult jumps in female skaters like Tuk and Trusova as well) or whatever. But this is pure speculation based on your premise that Russian men are more inconsistent than others on average, which could just as well be incorrect or down to pure chance, I don't know.

In any case, as I said, I don't think mastering quads at 18 vs 15 should make a difference at, say, 23 if the technique is correct and the body stays healthy.

readernick

Medalist
I don't think when a skater started landing quads in competition has anything to do with their overall consistency later in their career. Once you've mastered a jump, you've mastered it. Sure, you can lose it because of changing physiological realities like rapid growth or injury, but a skater who is currently deemed to 'have' a jump doesn't have more or less of it depending on how many seasons ago they first included it in their program.

However, there might be a tendency among Russian men to attempt jumps in competition that they don't land frequently in practice, due to the potential reward of a successful try, whereas top male skaters in other countries could typically weigh the risk of a fall/unsuccessful attempt more heavily and only include jumps in their programs that they feel secure in. In other words, the consistency threshold above which a jump becomes competition-worthy might be lower among Russian male skaters because of coaching style/federation pressure/inflated prestige of quads domestically (I totally buy the last one, given how common it is for Russian men to overemphasise jumps at the expense of skating skills, choreo, spins, etc. in their programs--you see this fixation on difficult jumps in female skaters like Tuk and Trusova as well) or whatever. But this is pure speculation based on your premise that Russian men are more inconsistent than others on average, which could just as well be incorrect or down to pure chance, I don't know.

In any case, as I said, I don't think mastering quads at 18 vs 15 should make a difference at, say, 23 if the technique is correct and the body stays healthy.

Ayaka Hosada (sp?)just learned a 3A at 22/23 and it seems to be a consistent jump for her. I don’t think learning a jump at a younger age necessarily makes it more consistent. So, I agree.

I do think you are right that Russian men are under a lot of pressure to include quad jumps in their programs when they aren’t landing them consistently due to the belief voiced by Tat that a skater like Jason Brown ( great SS, 3 jumps, spins—- frequently beating Russian men “with quads”) skates like a girl.

It leads to inconsistency.

Holy Headband

On the Ice
Ayaka Hosada (sp?)just learned a 3A at 22/23 and it seems to be a consistent jump for her. I don’t think learning a jump at a younger age necessarily makes it more consistent. So, I agree.

I do think you are right that Russian men are under a lot of pressure to include quad jumps in their programs when they aren’t landing them consistently due to the belief voiced by Tat that a skater like Jason Brown ( great SS, 3 jumps, spins—- frequently beating Russian men “with quads”) skates like a girl.

It leads to inconsistency.

Yeah, there's definitely a macho posturing/gendered dimension to it that I didn't want to get into lol.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

I'll disagree. I'll say over 90% must have it prior to finishing adolescence. There is a very small percentage of athletes that I can think of who did not begin competing a high-value jump until later in their career. But it seems whenever I name one, someone else pops up & informs us that the same athlete was landing it in practices at a younger age.

Kittosuni

Medalist
My issue with the Russian men (particularly Kolyada last season) is that they pop a lot of jumps when things dont go the way they wanted or know how to improvise. You still get some points with a fall jump but a pop is a fat big zero. The top skaters rarely pop their jumps.

Kittosuni

Medalist
i really like Ignatov and happy that he seem confident with his quads. His spins are also an improvement but still need to make them consistent. My biggest issue is his step sequence. its pretty empty especially the FS. The lack of transition i can forgive but boy that StSq needs to beef up because its level 2 at best and the worst is there is no emphasis/distinction or even a cue/highlight from his music that he was doing it. i was shocked that after he finished his program I couldnt recognize when he did his stsq. This can also be said to his teammate Aliev.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
i really like Ignatov and happy that he seem confident with his quads. His spins are also an improvement but still need to make them consistent. My biggest issue is his step sequence. its pretty empty especially the FS. The lack of transition i can forgive but boy that StSq needs to beef up because its level 2 at best and the worst is there is no emphasis/distinction or even a cue/highlight from his music that he was doing it. i was shocked that after he finished his program I couldnt recognize when he did his stsq. This can also be said to his teammate Aliev.

The program was designed to be skated slowly in order for him to get better with the technical contents, and it was a good idea, it paid off.

Now it's time to add a bit more choreography especially at the end.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Assignment changes

Makar has been added to Nebelhorn
Samsonov to JGP Poland, Rukhin out
Mozalev to JGP Croatia in place of Samsonov
Yablokov to JGP Italy in place of Mozalev

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Assignment changes

Makar has been added to Nebelhorn
Samsonov to JGP Poland, Rukhin out
Mozalev to JGP Croatia in place of Samsonov
Yablokov to JGP Italy in place of Mozalev

Not sure what I think about the JGPs. :scratch:

Also, does Gleb Lutfullin have a second event?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Not sure what I think about the JGPs. :scratch:

Also, does Gleb Lutfullin have a second event?

Poland: Gleb and Daniil
Croatia: Artur and Andrei M.
Italy: Ilya and Petr

They can still make changes if one of the guys at Chelyabinsk doesn't finish well.

The field in Croatia is brutal. Already, 2 JGP gold medalists and 3 silvers and that doesn't even take into account this event! LOL.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
So no second event for Andrei Kutovoi? :(

I get why (3A is unstable, no quads) but he's much more interesting to watch as a skater than Gleb Lutfullin.

Also can we talk about Petr Gumennik's reaction after the score in the SP? I don't want to be that annoying person, but someone should tell him to tone it down a little.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So no second event for Andrei Kutovoi? :(

I get why (3A is unstable, no quads) but he's much more interesting to watch as a skater than Gleb Lutfullin or Ilya Yablokov

Also can we talk about Petr Gumennik's reaction after the score in the SP? I don't want to be that annoying person, but someone should tell him to tone it down a little.

I think it depends how Ilya does at this event, but as long as he's at least 3rd with a higher score than Andrei K. Gleb got a 2nd spot over Andrei K since his 3rd place score was higher I think.

I would have loved to Andrei get a 2nd spot, but I understand it.

And yeah, didn't love Petr's KnC.