2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Tutto

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for this excellent interview! I have not always been the biggest fan of his skating, but Kolyada seems like such a down to earth, wonderful person. His heart and head seem to be in good and healthy places. I wish him the best in the upcoming season as well as his new engagement!

It is a wonderful interview especially appreciated after months of 'radio silence'. It is good to know that he is in such a positive state of mind - quite remarkable after the season he had. But contrary to a common belief he is a true fighter, he's bounced back - good for him.
I am a little concerned that as regards the jumps his team is still unsure of anything. I don't feel like there is any strategy behind those plans - taking out 4Lz, bringing in 4Sal , taking out 4 sal, bringing in 4Lz...the season after season it goes on and the end result is apart from 4T he has no other consistent quad which I blame entirely his team for...
2 quad SP is another worry - why not try to stabilise 4lz in LP first before risking it in SP? I am his biggest fan but even I begin to feel it is hopeless
(please Mika do prove me wrong and make me the happiest fan on the GS!)

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
It is a wonderful interview especially appreciated after months of 'radio silence'. It is good to know that he is in such a positive state of mind - quite remarkable after the season he had. But contrary to a common belief he is a true fighter, he's bounced back - good for him.
I am a little concerned that as regards the jumps his teams is still unsure of anything. I don't feel like there is any strategy behind those plans - taking out 4Lz, bringing in 4Sal , taking out 4 sal, bringing in 4Lz...the season after season it goes on and the end result is apart from 4T he has no other consistent quad which I blame entirely his team for...
2 quad SP is another worry - why not try to stabilise 4lz in LP first before risking it in SP? I am his biggest fan but even I begin to feel it is hopeless
(please Mika do prove me wrong and make me the happiest fan on the GS!)

Probably the plan with 4sal was about working with Rafael Arutyunyan, he worked with him on that last year but in competition he has never landed it: okay he has been dealing with illness but if you try an element all season and never land it i don't think it is worth working on it for now, especially if now the priority is getting that consistency. Also as he said in the interview they had to cancel the trip to California this time.

I do agree that if you want consistency you should have clear ideas on what to work on from the beginning, but the team is also responsible for all the things he's good at: the Federation should give him time and don't put that much pressure, results will come.

For example Russian Nationals last season was handled poorly in my opinion, basically forcing him to skate to fight for a spot i don't think it should have ever been in danger given the state of the other skaters.

Tatjana

On the Ice
Probably the plan with 4sal was about working with Rafael Arutyunyan, he worked with him on that last year but in competition he has never landed it: okay he has been dealing with illness but if you try an element all season and never land it i don't think it is worth working on it for now, especially if now the priority is getting that consistency. Also as he said in the interview they had to cancel the trip to California this time.

I do agree that if you want consistency you should have clear ideas on what to work on from the beginning, but the team is also responsible for all the things he's good at: the Federation should give him time and don't put that much pressure, results will come.

For example Russian Nationals last season was handled poorly in my opinion, basically forcing him to skate to fight for a spot i don't think it should have ever been in danger given the state of the other skaters.

Mikhail has landed the 4S in competition, I think at least twice, once at Rostelecom Cup last year: https://youtu.be/Ox9uQiYXxqY and somewhere else I don't remember now. But I agree, the consistency rate is low. Anyway, now they seem to focus on the quad Lutz which I think has a better chance to get consistent.

I agree about Russian Nationals. The Fed should have given him a bye. Maybe they would have if he had done better in the Grand Prix. But they don't like to give byes - even Lisa Tuktamysheva didn't get one and she had been on a roll before she fell sick. You still can argue that the field in ladies is much deeper. But then what about Sergei Voronov? He was the only Russian man to qualify for the GP Final. OTOH, I believe he needed more time to recover from his injury and probably wouldn't have been ready for Europeans (same for Lisa btw). Sergei didn't try to fight for a spot for Worlds at the Russian Cup Final, but I don't know if he was not ready yet or if he decided against it for other reasons.
However, even though it was very tough for Mikhail to compete at Nationals in the end I think it was a good decision that helped him and will help him. It earned him respect, for one thing, and also it proved to him that you are stronger than you think you are. He said in the interview that competing at Nationals was the the most right decision.

Grin

Medalist
Roman Savosin music
SP - Bessarabia Gypsy Dance
FS - Tchaikovski's "Piano Concerto No.2"

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Mikhail has landed the 4S in competition, I think at least twice, once at Rostelecom Cup last year: https://youtu.be/Ox9uQiYXxqY and somewhere else I don't remember now. But I agree, the consistency rate is low. Anyway, now they seem to focus on the quad Lutz which I think has a better chance to get consistent.

I agree about Russian Nationals. The Fed should have given him a bye. Maybe they would have if he had done better in the Grand Prix. But they don't like to give byes - even Lisa Tuktamysheva didn't get one and she had been on a roll before she fell sick. You still can argue that the field in ladies is much deeper. But then what about Sergei Voronov? He was the only Russian man to qualify for the GP Final. OTOH, I believe he needed more time to recover from his injury and probably wouldn't have been ready for Europeans (same for Lisa btw). Sergei didn't try to fight for a spot for Worlds at the Russian Cup Final, but I don't know if he was not ready yet or if he decided against it for other reasons.
However, even though it was very tough for Mikhail to compete at Nationals in the end I think it was a good decision that helped him and will help him. It earned him respect, for one thing, and also it proved to him that you are stronger than you think you are. He said in the interview that competing at Nationals was the the most right decision.

I forgot about that free skate, that was one of the most surreal performances i've ever seen: nailed all the difficult elements, popped all the easier triples :confused:

He should start with the combination in the SP though, so even if you fall on the 4 lutz, at least you get credit for the 4t-3t.

We saw in the Olympics season him falling or popping the lutz and then making mistake on the 4t meaning no combo and that so many points left to the table.

On Sergei Voronov i thought RusFed didn't invite him.

Tatjana

On the Ice
I forgot about that free skate, that was one of the most surreal performances i've ever seen: nailed all the difficult elements, popped all the easier triples :confused:

He should start with the combination in the SP though, so even if you fall on the 4 lutz, at least you get credit for the 4t-3t.

We say in the Olympics season him falling or popping the lutz and then making mistake on the 4t meaning no combo and that so many points left to the table.

On Sergei Voronov i thought RusFed didn't invite him.

Right, Mikhail should start with the combination in the SP. He could do 4Lz-3T, he's done it before in practice. :) Or, if this is too risky, he can do the Lutz as his second jump.

As for Sergei, I don't think he was not invited. I think they would have let him skate there if he wanted. Stanislava Konstantinova asked to skate at the Russian Cup Final, because she wanted to fight for a spot for Worlds (sure enough the Fed was probably only thinking about Lisa Tuktamysheva and Evgenia Medvedeva battling it out for the spot, but nevertheless Stasia wanted to prove that she was there, too). So she asked and they let her skate. I don't think they would have denied Sergei that opportunity after he missed Nationals. I remember that I was wondering about his status and I heard that he was "not skating" at the time (don't know if that means still injured, or not ready or whatever or if it was even true).

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Sending all my prayers for Misha to be healthy and finally show what he's capable of.
You know, Misha is often criticized by commentators for not having the fighter mentality that russian ladies have. For not fighting enough.
And all those commentators still call Misha an "all inclusive hotel", they praise him for having all natural talent a skater needs.
Explosive big beautiful textbook jumps, skating skills, artistic abilities. The thing no one can deny about him is that he's ridiculously talented.
He does really have all the talent in the world to be #1, I am just praying for him to start finally showing what he's got.
Do it Misha, land those quads in the next season and make it to the GPF.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Sending all my prayers for Misha to be healthy and finally show what he's capable of.
You know, Misha is often criticized by commentators for not having the fighter mentality that russian ladies have. For not fighting enough.
And all those commentators still call Misha an "all inclusive hotel", they praise him for having all natural talent a skater needs.
Explosive big beautiful textbook jumps, skating skills, artistic abilities. The thing no one can deny about him is that he's ridiculously talented.
He does really have all the talent in the world to be #1, I am just praying for him to start finally showing what he's got.
Do it Misha, land those quads in the next season and make it to the GPF.

The BESP guys said he is overburdened almost with talent!
It is interesting that Russian commentators tend to be moaning 'it is so easy for him' (like he could do it easily just doesn't want to)
but non -Russian commentators praise - 'he makes it look so easy' -
No comment

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
The BESP guys said he is overburdened almost with talent!
It is interesting that Russian commentators tend to be moaning 'it is so easy for him' (like he could do it easily just doesn't want to)
but non -Russian commentators praise - 'he makes it look so easy' -
No comment

True that, Misha is overburdened with talent.
I think those commentators just understand the level of Misha‘a abilities and want him to show it.
But I also don’t agree with people constantly criticizing him (as if that was gonna help anyone). :-/

coldblueeyes

Record Breaker
Country
Brazil
I'd advise you guys to discuss Misha in his FF, you know how some people get around here. :agree:

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
So only 5 men on the FFKKR top list (contrasting to 7 for the women): https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html

What are the chances of two of the reserves making it into the top group during the season?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So only 5 men on the FFKKR top list (contrasting to 7 for the women): https://fsrussia.ru/sbornaya.html

What are the chances of two of the reserves making it into the top group during the season?

None.

According to what I read on FSO, there can only be 12 people in singles on the main team for funding. Per one article I read, 1 spot was taken from the men to give to the ladies, which is why there are 7 ladies and 5 men.

So to move someone from the mens reserve to the main team, they would have to remove 1 person already on the main team from either the men or ladies.

So for example, last year, there were 6 men on the main (and 6 ladies). When Kovtun won Nationals he was added to the main team. In turn, they removed Erokhov who was placed in reserves.

Does this make sense?

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
None.

According to what I read on FSO, there can only be 12 people in singles on the main team for funding. Per one article I read, 1 spot was taken from the men to give to the ladies, which is why there are 7 ladies and 5 men.

So to move someone from the mens reserve to the main team, they would have to remove 1 person already on the main team from either the men or ladies.

So for example, last year, there were 6 men on the main (and 6 ladies). When Kovtun won Nationals he was added to the main team. In turn, they removed Erokhov who was placed in reserves.

Does this make sense?

No, LOL, but many decisions of FFKKR make no sense either ;-)

This early in season, the men first and foremost need to keep faith in themselves, living in the shadow of the women and living up to the great Russian tradition.

The young and intermediate age boys are very promising, and they need good examples in the adults to look up to for motivation. And Russian male figure skating needs results to keep its funding and prestige.

Best of luck to the men also, especially on the home front with that cut throat press.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
JGP France preliminary entries

Main
Georgy KUNITSA
Andrei KUTOVOI

Subs
Artur DANIELIAN
Petr GUMENNIK
Gleb LUTFULLIN
Andrei MOZALEV
Egor RUKHIN
Daniil SAMSONOV
Matvei VETLUGIN
Ilya YABLOKOV

Note: Lev Vinokur has switched to Israel

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i don't know if this has been said somewhere, but do we know the challengers assignments?

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i don't know if this has been said somewhere, but do we know the challengers assignments?

No.

ETA: Murashov is listed for NRW summer trophy (Aug 11th) but so far, he is the only skater registered so who knows if he will go or not.

I don't see any of the guys going to the events in the US/Canada. The first deadline, Lombardia, is due 8/16.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
New interview from Pitkeev

Google translation link

From this interview you will learn:
What should be the balance between the role of a coach and the role of parents in the life of a child-athlete
What is missing from young skaters from the regions
How to be an introvert in figure skating
How to make a jump twice as high
The most understandable to the average person description of the quadruple jump
What does Eteri Tutberidze have in common with football coach Sir Alex Ferguson?
Why did Adian need to kill an athlete
What makes a happy person difficult to surprise