2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 20 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

Artemisa

Final Flight
All russian men did good today ... far from perfect but didn't pop everything .. so it's a good day

starla16

Medalist
2 russian men in GP Finals
might get a third if Makar podiums in NHK

he is in competition with Aymoz, and Brown.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Wow, when did podium sweep for men happen the last time? Like 20 years ago, it’s been so long!

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Makar has been competing well this season.

He started skating this well since March of last year at domestic competitions he was landing quads consistently, i think artistry still to improve, i'd like to see a bit more speed towards the end but at this stage what he has done is very impressive.

All Rukavicin skaters i've to say they were very prepared for this season, Aliev also did great this season medalling at every event so far, hats off to the whole team, they've done such a great job.

Especially with the boys i think the approach is good, and i hope between Aliev-Ignatov they can build a friendly internal rivalry much like what Orser had with Hanyu-Fernandez cause that can push both of them to do better every time.

Congrats to Samarin also who won here, this has been his best season so far.

I noticed since earlier this year, lots of improvements with the mens in Russia, especially compared to the past 2-3 years when we were used to see lots of skaters attempting quads that they were never going to land, or they weren't physically ready to skate full programs with the quads.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Aliev did it again with having one of his jumps (3Lz) invalidated due to Zayak-ing. He has done it 2-3 times before. When he pop his 4T to 3T and then jump 4T again, ive been thinking please dont do 3Lz again since he already repeat 3T and 4T.... but he did it. If he take out the lutz and do flip instead he could win!! He need more practice to think about plan B layout, but nice skate overall and congratulations for qualifying to GPF along with Samarin!

Artemisa

Final Flight
Aliev did it again with having one of his jumps (3Lz) invalidated due to Zayak-ing. He has done it 2-3 times before. When he pop his 4T to 3T and then jump 4T again, ive been thinking please dont do 3Lz again since he already repeat 3T and 4T.... but he did it. If he take out the lutz and do flip instead he could win!! He need more practice to think about plan B layout, but nice skate overall and congratulations for qualifying to GPF along with Samarin!

I think the same ... he lost because he wasn't mental prepare for plan B ...

3 russian mens in the podium ... Miracles happen ... they did very well ... not big falls ... Makar was a surprise .. I think they need to repeat whatever they did previous to this competition ... and repeat them 1000 x

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I think Dima needs to start doing jump math during his programs. He is making me bald with his invalidated jumps each competition

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I think Dima needs to start doing jump math during his programs. He is making me bald with his invalidated jumps each competition

It's hard to do the math in the moment, if you start to slow down you may lose the rhythm on your jumps and everything can fall apart.

I'd say more they should start to practice plan Bs just in case something goes wrong especially with the quad lutz.

You can even see in the background during his flying camel spin, Valentin Molotov and Rukavicin probably discussing about that.

https://youtu.be/NmdzK8Vhin0?t=134

Anyway the mistake wasn't too costly here, it seemed judges really wanted to give the gold to Samarin anyway.

MintGreen

On the Ice
I agree it's hard to figure that out while skating. After he popped his 2nd jump into a triple toe, everything else is already a plan B. So he needs a plan B for plan B. :palmf:

Initially I tended to believe that his 3 lz in both sp and fs were planned. But from how the FS went and how he repeated 3lz the second time, it didn't seem that his FS 3lz was planned.

At least he improvised a second quad toe into the program so that helped to recover some points. And that's a step up compared to like forgetting to jump an axel, etc. LOL.

It's hard to do the math in the moment, if you start to slow down you may lose the rhythm on your jumps and everything can fall apart.

I'd say more they should start to practice plan Bs just in case something goes wrong especially with the quad lutz.

You can even see in the background during his flying camel spin, Valentin Molotov and Rukavicin probably discussing about that.

https://youtu.be/NmdzK8Vhin0?t=134

Anyway the mistake wasn't too costly here, it seemed judges really wanted to give the gold to Samarin anyway.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Aliev may have had an invalidated jump but the rest of the performance was clean, no falls or pops. So for him to lose the PCS to Samarin is a joke, especially since Samarin wasn't clean in either segment. If that doesn't tell you the Russian fed. think of Samarin as their defacto hard #1 I don't know what does. If they believed there was a competition they would have at least given Aliev the PCS win with the skates he had.

Like I previously said, it will take multiple mistakes/falls from Samarin and close to perfection from the others to have him displaced from the top in the feds hierarchy. I doubt even Kolyada will stand a chance when he comes back. He'll end up like Medvedeva in 2018. Out with injury for a short period, quickly replaced with Zagitova, and never given a real chance to reclaim the place on top.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The Russian Fed has never made a wise decision when it comes to the men they choose to invest in. Ever.

I would be mad but I don't feel like wasting my energy any more. Life is too short and they aren't going to change.

MintGreen

On the Ice
I share a lot of the sentiment here about Aliev and it’s frustrating to see that he is not getting rewarded properly in scoring. But there is no reason to feel too disheartened. Putting things into perspective, this is his only third season at senior level. The first season he was a new comer and it was a breakout, then he was completely lost last season. Being able to come back from such a tough situation and put everything behind to have a new start, he clearly showed a lot of mental readiness and toughness, like the way he was able to hold everything together after the first two jumps in fs didn’t go as planned. He has been doing great so far, and at every competition he has brought out something more to his performance. So from what I see, he is definitely on an upward curve.

Given the rollercoaster ride he had in the past two years, he needs time to build up self confidence. It also takes time to rebuild his reputation and give Russian fed the confidence in him. I’m not saying the current treatment is fair, but sadly that’s the reality.

He hasn’t reached the full potential of the two programs yet, and I’m very optimistic to see him getting better every time. If he can put two programs together and delivers them at the bigger stages, I don’t see there is any reason that he will get held down by the fed or the silly ranking thing.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Just because ladies prefer Dima the prince charming, Samarin shouldn't be underscored :devil: