2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Russian Men's figure skating

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hahahah, I’m with you on this one.
Good luck to Aliev and Danielyan at worlds.

I hope that their qualities when it comes to PCS, will start being appreciated by the judges. Danielyan is a very very special skater!

I keep missing the Gladiator, but in terms of “Attention, judges, incoming artistry!” the Traviata is a winner. He skates it so lovely too, and the music is just wonderful.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I keep missing the Gladiator, but in terms of “Attention, judges, incoming artistry!” the Traviata is a winner. He skates it so lovely too, and the music is just wonderful.

the thing i like the most about this program is that he is the conductor :laugh:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daniil Samsonov OUT, Ilya Yablokov IN

Well, well, well........and this is the 2nd year in a row that Sambo 70 has withdrawn their guy the Friday before first practice. Good luck to Ilya.

Samsonov withdrew due to health :(
https://tass.ru/sport/7860323
Get well soon.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Did i miss somewhere the reason why Semenenko couldn't be a sub? lack of SB?

I saw him at Cup Finals and he's better than Samsonov, Yablokov and Kutovoi (as much as i like him).

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Well, well, well........and this is the 2nd year in a row that Sambo 70 has withdrawn their guy the Friday before first practice. Good luck to Ilya.

Get well soon.

Health is so generic. Do we know anything more on Daniil's situation? Something chronic or traumatic? Or just a bad bout of flu at the wrong moment??

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada

Get well soon.

Oh, gosh. I hope he is going to recover soon from whatever it is. I am so used to Mozalev-Samsonov tag team this year... I hope Yablokov does great, though, and Gummenik was awesome in his last outing too.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Did i miss somewhere the reason why Semenenko couldn't be a sub? lack of SB?

I saw him at Cup Finals and he's better than Samsonov, Yablokov and Kutovoi (as much as i like him).

RemiRose mentioned that his previous international qualifying score had expired and he didn’t compete this year to confirm it.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
RemiRose mentioned that his previous international qualifying score had expired and he didn’t compete this year to confirm it.

Yes, Semenenko last jr international was back in 2017, so it expired the following season (2018-2019). And now we have a withdrawal, pity for Semenenko, Kunitsa but they had all season to earn minimums. Their teams I guess had other priorities.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, Semenenko last jr international was back in 2017, so it expired the following season (2018-2019). And now we have a withdrawal, pity for Semenenko, Kunitsa but they had all season to earn minimums. Their teams I guess had other priorities.

Even if Kunitsa, Semenenko both had minimums, Kunitsa would have been the one subbed in as he was first alternate, regardless of Cup Final performance. Replacements are based off sporting principle and Kunitsa was 4th.

Update on Samsonov:
Two-time champion of Russia among juniors in figure skating Daniil Samsonov withdrew from the junior world championship due to problems with joints caused by growing up, said Philipp Shvetsky, doctor of the group Eteri Tutberidze, in which the athlete trains.

On Friday, Samsonov withdrew from the Junior World Cup, which will be held March 4-7 in Tallinn.

"Daniil is 14 years old, he is growing up. Given the growth of the body amid intense stress, the athlete had problems with the joints. These difficulties are temporary and are associated with the normal physiological development of the teenager. If you overload him now, then problems can arise that will threaten his health and will call into question his sports career, so a decision was made in favor of the future and the health of Daniel, which is certainly more important, "Shvetsky said over the phone.

https://rsport.ria.ru/20200228/1565328263.html

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Oh, gosh. I hope he is going to recover soon from whatever it is. I am so used to Mozalev-Samsonov tag team this year... I hope Yablokov does great, though, and Gummenik was awesome in his last outing too.

Me too :(

Wish Daniil fast recovery. It is definitely better not to risk, he still has at least one junior worlds ahead.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker

Good to hear #TeamTutberidzeForProgress is taking the necesarry precautions to ensure the health and career of their charges.

'Little Boss Man' Daniil has a fair chance at a medal, so he will be missed by his fans.

But joint and growth plate problems can be career threatening, even leading to permanent disabillites in growing youths like Daniil.

No doubt he himself will be disappointed the most.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Thank you for the updates on Samsonov, and I am also glad to hear that they are putting his health above all other interests. He had shown beautiful performances this season & I hope to see him next year again.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

To me it just seemed the all assignment situation for Challengers has been a complete mess for Russia. So those who weren't quite as ready in September-October and didn't have a GP/JGP spot but did well later, had no chance to get an assignment whatsoever. It happened the same with ladies.

Also in fairness ISU makes it weird too, cause Semenenko did compete at Tallin Hotels Cup finishing second and that is listed in his ISU bio but doesn't count for SB purposes which makes no sense in my opinion, either you make it a 100% an ISU competition or you don't, what's the purpose behind the weird in-between.

I guess he could aim at following Ignatov's path, hoping RusFed would give him a chance at Test Skates and an early pre-season event, and then the host pick at Rostelecom, but Evgeny is still 17, he could still easily have another year in Juniors.

On Kunitsa it's different cause there are a number of issues they still have to figure out: his axel technique is the most bizarre one i think i've ever seen, the quad salchow is not there yet, and there are some confidence issues, you can see when he makes one mistake sometimes he gives up on the jumps mid program. I can see the quad eventually being in the programs, but that axel is going to hurt his scores internationally.

Yablokov much like all the other skaters from that group truly reflect the coach: if you remember Volchkova as a competitor she was a truly beautiful skater, but incredibly inconsistent to the point you could see her jumping a flawless 3lutz and then a second after literally skipping the jump she is supposed to do. The fundamentals are totally there: he has beautiful quad toe and triple axel, good skating skills, good programs also, but he needs to keep it together in one competition.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To me it just seemed the all assignment situation for Challengers has been a complete mess for Russia. So those who weren't quite as ready in September-October and didn't have a GP/JGP spot but did well later, had no chance to get an assignment whatsoever. It happened the same with ladies.

Also in fairness ISU makes it weird too, cause Semenenko did compete at Tallin Hotels Cup finishing second and that is listed in his ISU bio but doesn't count for SB purposes which makes no sense in my opinion, either you make it a 100% an ISU competition or you don't, what's the purpose behind the weird in-between.

I guess he could aim at following Ignatov's path, hoping RusFed would give him a chance at Test Skates and an early pre-season event, and then the host pick at Rostelecom, but Evgeny is still 17, he could still easily have another year in Juniors.

On Kunitsa it's different cause there are a number of issues they still have to figure out: his axel technique is the most bizarre one i think i've ever seen, the quad salchow is not there yet, and there are some confidence issues, you can see when he makes one mistake sometimes he gives up on the jumps mid program. I can see the quad eventually being in the programs, but that axel is going to hurt his scores internationally.

Yablokov much like all the other skaters from that group truly reflect the coach: if you remember Volchkova as a competitor she was a truly beautiful skater, but incredibly inconsistent to the point you could see her jumping a flawless 3lutz and then a second after literally skipping the jump she is supposed to do. The fundamentals are totally there: he has beautiful quad toe and triple axel, good skating skills, good programs also, but he needs to keep it together in one competition.

Tallinn Hotel Cup did count for technical minimums, which is what matters here, not SB. However, he competed as a senior at that event, so he got his senior minimums but not his junior ones which he would need for Junior Worlds.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i wish a speed recovery to little Samsonov and i hope that next season he will rock

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Still my heart! Mozalev managed to keep up. He is really close to Kagiyama, which is as much as he can hope for, given how they were scored in Oly. I haven’t had the chance to see the short, but it looks like Gummenik didn’t have the best outing...hopefully he recovers in the free. Can’t wait to see Yablokov and the expat team as well. Anyway, all the luck in the world for the free.