Matteo Rizzo | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Matteo Rizzo

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
something is clearly not working for Matteo, maybe he should get a new coach or maybe it's just mental

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I just wanted to say - again - how I love Matteo's FP. It's the best program of the season for me.

I'm so happy that I saw this program live at Euros.
I was so lucky because after they finished their programs, many of the skaters came to watch the remaining competition and many of them sat very close to where I was sitting. I was just quietly rejoicing (no photos or anything). Matteo cheered for everyone, but especially for Dima. He was so visibly nervous for him and applauded so much after every Dima's jump, spin, every element. And he was one of the first to get up to give Dima a standing ovation. (I have to admit that I saw maybe only a half of Dima's program ;) )

It's just a bit unfortunate that Matteo lost at Nationals and here again to Daniel... But the best of luck for Worlds! :cheer:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I just wanted to say - again - how I love Matteo's FP. It's the best program of the season for me.

I'm so happy that I saw this program live at Euros.
I was so lucky because after they finished their programs, many of the skaters came to watch the remaining competition and many of them sat very close to where I was sitting. I was just quietly rejoicing (no photos or anything). Matteo cheered for everyone, but especially for Dima. He was so visibly nervous for him and applauded so much after every Dima's jump, spin, every element. And he was one of the first to get up to give Dima a standing ovation. (I have to admit that I saw maybe only a half of Dima's program ;) )

It's just a bit unfortunate that Matteo lost at Nationals and here again to Daniel... But the best of luck for Worlds! :cheer:

as i said Matteo looks a bit off this season, i wonder why, but he is so nice and a true sportman and friend. i'm even more proud of him :luv17:

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
Yesterday, Italian federation of winter sports did an Insta live interview with Matteo, 30 minutes in Italian.
I just wanted to share a very incomplete translation...
I have to say that my Italian is very basic but since this was just a casual interview, not a statement where one word translated slightly incorrectly can stir drama, I've decided to share some parts that I've noted down. The answers are usually in a summarized form and I skipped at least two longer parts. But anyway, I hope you'll enjoy it even in this form.

Interviewer: What are you doing during quarantine?
Matteo: We are eating and cooking together, doing puzzle
I miss the ice so much, I train every day at home, jump
Interviewer: you participated in our challenge and drew a picture (you can find it on Matteo’s IG)
Matteo: My sister draws better (?) but I liked drawing as a kid and had this idea to draw this picture.
I: At Worlds you were 30th, 17th and 7th, this year’s WC was cancelled. What was your objective?
M: I’ve matured. Not only physically but on the ice. The goal was to be in top ten. Because all the skaters are on a very high level. I wanted to improve the last year’s result.
It was complicated to train for these Worlds. It was more complicated day by day in Italy. I was not surprised that it was cancelled. The situation was becoming very difficult in the whole world. It wouldn’t be wise to get 20.000 people to an ice rink. It was the right decision.
I: How to prepare for the next season. Everything is uncertain.
M: We have to take into account situation in the whole world, not only Italy. ISU said that every federation should then be able to participate without problems (for the season to start?)
I’m thinking about using an older program I did. It wouldn’t be easy to get a new choreography through video chat. Once on the ice again you have to regain the feeling for the ice, the jumps, it won’t be easy. I won’t tell you which program I’m thinking about (note: Matteo asked in his IG story if people would like to see his Queen FP again)
I: You career rose quickly in 2017/2018.
M: I started at Nebelhorn… At nationals there were Maurizion Zandron, Ivan Righini and me. And I won. It was strange. I felt huge responsibility going to Pyongyang. I was the youngest from the group. It was difficult. But I think about these emotions every day. It’s not comparable even with WC, EC. At Olympics I truly understood how important they are for an athlete.
????
M: I usually take a nap before a competition to fully concentrate on the comp then. On my first GP – SA in 2018 I woke up from my 30 min nap after three hours. An hour before warm-up before the SP started. I ran to the rink. Franca was not the happiest. (he recounted this story also here)
I: You won Shanghai Trophy, were 3rd at NHK, were at Worlds in Saitama. Tell us something about the different atmosphere, different culture.
M: It’s the most obvious in Japan. Figure skating is their number one sport. Everyone knows Yuzuru Hanyu and Shoma Uno. It was a great experience. There was 18.000 spectators, full house, not an empty seat. It was a surreal atmosphere. I stood in my opening pose and heard only my breath. There was silence.
In Italia it’s football, in Japan it’s figure skating.
I have good memories of China. I got a good response from the public. I want to enjoy the moment and am grateful for the memories.
?????
I: As an athlete at the highest level you have to make some sacrifices. Which are they?
M:None, now. Now, I understand it and accept it. But in the past of course I wanted to go out with my friends and had to train instead. So a few years ago, these were really big sacrifices for me.

M: I play video games. I play Formula 1.

I: Javier Fernandez is your role model.
M: Absolutely.
I: What does fascinate you about him?
M: I met him long time ago. I was a kid and he was very young. My father collaborated with Nikolai Morozov so we met. And this boy became a 2-time world champion, 7-time European champion, won a bronze medal at Olympics. And Spain doesn’t have any history of figure skating. Russia, USA, Canada they have a rich history. They can look (for their role models) into the past. Spain doesn’t have it and he became a real champion. And this motivates me. In Italy it’s not the same as in Spain. We’ve had some successes but perhaps not so many in men singles. I’m lucky that I can talk with him as a friend. He helped me, he gave me a lot of amazing advices.
I: It would be great if you could become the Fernandez of Italy.

M: I like 4Lo very much. But it affects the other jumps. 4T should be back to 90%. When I stopped doing 4Lo it doesn’t mean that it’s lost….

I: Do you have a message?
I’m a patriot at heart. It will pass but for now we have to respect the rules. Thank you for watching see you soon.

Talking in English after 30 minutes: And for the fans who don’t speak Italian thank you for watching. :laugh2:

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I am just so happy happy happy happy that Matteo is skating to Andrea Bocelli's music!! (I love Matteo, I love Andrea, I love Italian music)
Matteo announced it in his q&a IG story. There were other questions, but not that new or important.... about his favourite japanese food, anime... About Daniel: Matteo answered that Daniel is a great guy and together they will lift Italian skating again. That the first week after returning on the ice felt weird, but now everything is ok, that he trains five days a week, five hours a day, that he doesn't speak Spanish, that his favourite jump now is the loop, that unfortunately he won't be able to train at TCC this year...
And about his favourite skater he said this. And this is especially heartwarming :love:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yeah I listened to it today. I think this music suits Matteo. It will be interesting to see what competitions are held, how often we see it. And surely he can't wear a mustard colored turtleneck with this one right? Lol