Maia and Alex Shibutani to Take Off 2019-20 Season | Golden Skate

Maia and Alex Shibutani to Take Off 2019-20 Season

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Colorado Springs, Colorado (May 24, 2019) - Two-time Olympic medalists and two-time U.S. champions Maia and Alex Shibutani will extend their break from the competitive circuit and take the 2019-20 season off, the team announced today.

The Shibutanis, who won the bronze medal in the team event and the individual event at the 2018 Olympic Winter Games, have been keeping busy with shows and media projects that began after the Olympics.

“We’ve continued to skate a lot, and we feel like we’ve benefited from some time away to create in different environments and focus on experiences that can help us grow,” Alex said.

“We’re healthier and stronger than we were after the Olympics and we’re continuing to push ourselves,” Maia said.

Maia and Alex Shibutani have stood on the podium at 14 consecutive U.S. Championships (eight at the Championship-level). In addition to 2018, they competed at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
They really stood out in Stars on Ice this year: strength, confidence, and stage presence (not to mention twizzles!)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I'm still not counting them out to maybe return after this upcoming season. If they do want to come back for Beijing, it's not a bad decision to let the dust clear a little bit with the competition between the top U.S. teams next season.

ffloweer

Rinkside
Country
Argentina
While not unexpected, I will still miss them on the competitive ice. But what they're saying gives me hope that they'll come back to competition sometime (or am I projecting too much?).

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised at this announcement, but hope that they will return to competition leading up to Beijing, like V/M did.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder if they will do some schooling? Good for them but I wonder if they are watching closely what's happening with H/D and C/B. All three teams would be pretty equal. HB and CP probably are hoping the Shis don't return.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am not surprised by this announcement. While I would welcome them back to competition, I sense that they are done competing in Olympic eligible competitions. Whatever they choose to do, I hope we still get to see them skating in shows.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I am not surprised by this announcement. While I would welcome them back to competition, I sense that they are done competing in Olympic eligible competitions. Whatever they choose to do, I hope we still get to see them skating in shows.

I agree. It would be nice to see them have a V&M like return and if they decide to return I would be very happy. With the strength of the US Dance program, would they still be top contenders?

formersk8ter

On the Ice
I agree. It would be nice to see them have a V&M like return and if they decide to return I would be very happy. With the strength of the US Dance program, would they still be top contenders?

As a huge Shibs fan, it pains me to say that I'm actually rather relieved they're not coming back to competition.

V/M returned as Olympic gold and silver medalists, as well as being multiple world champions. Maia and Alex don't have that kind of a record. Hubbell/Donahue appear to have the US title locked up, although Chock/Bates are definitely nipping at their heels.

The Shibs had such a great Olympic experience. I'd rather see them go out on top, than risk coming back and ending up US #3... if that.

oly2018

Final Flight
This may be a little radical, but I wonder if only Maia is interested in coming back. She is the one who has hinted at it a few times and she posts about being fitter than ever pretty often. She is really young for a retired ice dancer, so she could presumably come back with someone else. Now, I know that's sacrilege. I love the Shibs, but Alex seems to be the one who is more interested in other creative pursuits.

composer

On the Ice
This may be a little radical, but I wonder if only Maia is interested in coming back. She is the one who has hinted at it a few times and she posts about being fitter than ever pretty often. She is really young for a retired ice dancer, so she could presumably come back with someone else. Now, I know that's sacrilege. I love the Shibs, but Alex seems to be the one who is more interested in other creative pursuits.

I’ve had the same thoughts to be honest. But I was almost afraid to voice it because as you say... sacrilege ...

Seven Sisters

Medalist
I’ve had the same thoughts to be honest. But I was almost afraid to voice it because as you say... sacrilege ...

Hey, Michael Parsons is free...plus he’s the same age as Maia, and knows what it’s like to skate with your sibling!

V/M returned as Olympic gold and silver medalists, as well as being multiple world champions. Maia and Alex don't have that kind of a record. Hubbell/Donahue appear to have the US title locked up, although Chock/Bates are definitely nipping at their heels.

The Shibs had such a great Olympic experience. I'd rather see them go out on top, than risk coming back and ending up US #3... if that.

The Shibs don't have THAT kind of record -- who does? ;)

But they have an Olympic medal, three Worlds medals, three Four Continents medals, and two Grand Prix Finals medals. I think they would be the dominant U.S. team if they could come back in 2015-16 "Fix You" form.

On the other hand, as mentioned Alex is 28. He may be ready to move on.

Clairecz

On the Ice
Country
Czech-Republic
I'm an endless optimist and believe that they return and win the Olympic silver medal in Beijing and only after that retire.
I really hope they return in season 2020/2021 and then they'll see...

But yeah, it seems that Alex is not missing competing that much. On the other hand I can't imagine Maia to be able to return to competitions and to get used to a new partner only one year before an Olympic season (and she said that she wanted to go to Beijing iirc)... so unless she has different goals now - wc or nats in a postolympic season - or unless she wants to skate for six more years and focus on 2026 Olympics, I think the only chance is Alex and Maia return together. They are the best together! :love: