Senior Ladies Ranking predictions: 2019-2020 | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Senior Ladies Ranking predictions: 2019-2020

tokoyami

On the Ice
I hate doing microscopic analyses, but oh well..

Anna doesn't have a perfect lutz technique, but her edge seems outside to me.
Moreover, it seems outside enough to escape being called a let alone flat-edge, and obviously a flutz
https://imgur.com/pX0dtVt

For people judging lutzes, it's important to see the edge at the moment second foot hits the ice, picks in, (not the moment skater leaves the ice!)

True flutzers have an inside edge the moment the second foot picks in. So I disagree with your assessment of Anna's lutz.

Do you have a source for this? Genuinely wondering if this is how it's written in 'Le Ole Rulebook'

tokoyami

On the Ice
Lol ok guess not. From my research and personal experience I've only ever known how to judge a lutz and flip by the edge before they're officially off the ice. I think that's the whole point of a toe jump, not to go, "oh but she had an outside edge briefly before switching to flat or inside" .....seems like rubbish to me. But as I said, if anyone can find specific guidelines explicitly saying that's the way we need to judge toe jumps than I'll gladly eat my words

I found this based off of the Technical Panel Handbook for singles skating 2018/19:

"Flip take-off is from a backward inside edge, Lutz take-off is from a backward outside
edge"

Note how it says 'take-off' and not 'toe pick'

Maju

On the Ice
I think if Wakaba is fully recovered from her injury that she can medal at IDF.

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
If sasha can land all her quads without a fall and if puberty doesn’t hit her, she will be the new leader but there are so many talented skaters. It’s difficult to predict. Don’t forget that they are humans. It will be funny to have a surprising winner like Rika after struggling two saisons.

Jordynn2017

Spectator
*Not in order* I have the following making the GPF after looking through the assignments:

Rika Kihira JPN
Alena Kostornaia RUS
Anna Shcherbakova RUS
Alexandra Trusova RUS
Evgenia Medvedeva RUS
Kaori Sakamoto JPN

Rooting for healthy seasons for all and keeping my fingers crossed for Zhenya and Alena K. 🤞

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
*Not in order* I have the following making the GPF after looking through the assignments:

Rika Kihira JPN
Alena Kostornaia RUS
Anna Shcherbakova RUS
Alexandra Trusova RUS
Evgenia Medvedeva RUS
Kaori Sakamoto JPN

Rooting for healthy seasons for all and keeping my fingers crossed for Zhenya and Alena K. ��

Great first post. Post often. :)

natsulian

Final Flight
Who would’ve thought that Rika would come out of the floodgate and boast a NEARLY undefeated track record internationally? Earlier in the summer of 2018, people were unsure as to whether or not Rika would even get assigned TWO Grand Prix events. Fast forward a few months and Rika would go on to win two Grand Prix events and the Grand Prix Final. Why would I bring up such trivial trivia? Much like the uncertainty and later shock and awe that followed Rika’s 2018-2019 season, with the new Russian phenoms entering the fray, the American ladies recuperating, and South Korea slowly becoming a new powerhouse, the 2019-2020 season will be EVEN MORE unpredictable and chock full of great and not so great surprises. Let us enjoy the ride as we enter the summer competition months and remember just how much our ladies sacrifice for their sport. Best of luck to every single lady in what is to be a bloodbath of a season.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
My preseason predictions:

GPF: Sasha, Alina, Alena, Anna, Rika, Kaori
Rusnats: Sasha, Alina, Liza - Russian team as well
The worlds: Sasha, Alina, Rika/Liza

I am sure, the reality will be different. I shall start (unless someone does it first) another power ranking thread after first challengers. There will be surprises during the coming season. The main thing is that these surprises are not injury related.

ruga

Final Flight
My GPF prediction: Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova, Alina Zagitova, Rika Kihira, Evgenia Medvedeva and Alena Kostornaia (alternates: Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva)

I am rooting for Kaori, but her first event is going to be a true bloodbath, not sure if she could medal there. Also, predictions are very hard when there are 3 new stars coming from juniors.

Elucidus

Match Penalty

Did you forget about 3A+4S wielder Tursynbaeva (it's very common thing as I noticed - almost everyone are forgetting about her for some reason :laugh:) or deliberately excluded her, I wonder?:rolleye:
I am not brave enough to make my own predictions yet - still, I have my doubts about Alina's future prospects, tbh. Seeing how much struggle she had with jumps all last season - and how much she struggles with them even now, at shows - and considering her rather fragile psyche and certain weariness from two very hard seasons and lack of sport ambitions/motivation she had before - and is definitely having now even more (and missing majority of Novogorsk training too) - I wouldn't be surprised that she can bomb her RusNat performance again and miss national team spot despite all help from judges. It rather plausible scenario, btw.
Speaking about motivation - even Medvedeva have more chances to be able to overcome RusNat challenges (with immense help of judges, of course) than Zagitova IMO. In that sense Liza is not very reliable candidate as well - she is too easygoing and tends to lose points on trivial elements even when she is in good form. It's not enough for brutal competition environment IMO.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If sasha can land all her quads without a fall and if puberty doesn’t hit her, she will be the new leader but there are so many talented skaters. It’s difficult to predict. Don’t forget that they are humans. It will be funny to have a surprising winner like Rika after two saisons.
True but almost any skater who lands several quads clean and survives puberty will do well or be the new leader. I am really afraid about puberty - we've seen it strike Alina, Evgenia, Elena R., Julia...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I fear the Russian ladies might find themselves in a tough spot. If puberty hits the new Russian threats and Alina, Evgeni still struggle then it rests upon Liza to land the 3A since doesn't have he components. Japan could dominate the GP finals Kaori, Rika, Wakaba and or SAtoko, then add ET and Bradie. Though I do think or hope one would at least make it even if Alina and Evgenia can't compete with the quadsters.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
My GPF prediction: Alexandra Trusova, Anna Shcherbakova, Alina Zagitova, Rika Kihira, Evgenia Medvedeva and Alena Kostornaia (alternates: Elizabet Tursynbaeva, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva)

I am rooting for Kaori, but her first event is going to be a true bloodbath, not sure if she could medal there. Also, predictions are very hard when there are 3 new stars coming from juniors.

Kaori had the third highest PCS in the SP at Worlds (after Alina and Zhenya) and the second highest PCS in the FS at Worlds (after Alina). She's really catapulted herself up in reputation, so she at least has that on her side.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I am sure, the reality will be different. I shall start (unless someone does it first) another power ranking thread after first challengers. There will be surprises during the coming season. The main thing is that these surprises are not injury related.

I hope Liza stays healthy. It was a real pity that she got pneumonia and had to miss Nationals. It completely derailed her fine season up to that point.

ruga

Final Flight
Kaori had the third highest PCS in the SP at Worlds (after Alina and Zhenya) and the second highest PCS in the FS at Worlds (after Alina). She's really catapulted herself up in reputation, so she at least has that on her side.

Well now I think her chances will depend a lot on the situation of Elizaveta, Elizabet and Anna S in SkAm. When they're clean, it's hard to beat them, however they had some not so good performances this season. If they fail to deliver, Kaori could rise to the top with the highest components in competition. In France it's also very possible for her to beat Kostornaia, but she needs to be clean.

Tere19

Rinkside
Im sure Elizaveta will not miss nationals this year...did she said why she got the pneumonia?

Tere19

Rinkside
Did you forget about 3A+4S wielder Tursynbaeva (it's very common thing as I noticed - almost everyone are forgetting about her for some reason :laugh:) or deliberately excluded her, I wonder?:rolleye:
I am not brave enough to make my own predictions yet - still, I have my doubts about Alina's future prospects, tbh. Seeing how much struggle she had with jumps all last season - and how much she struggles with them even now, at shows - and considering her rather fragile psyche and certain weariness from two very hard seasons and lack of sport ambitions/motivation she had before - and is definitely having now even more (and missing majority of Novogorsk training too) - I wouldn't be surprised that she can bomb her RusNat performance again and miss national team spot despite all help from judges. It rather plausible scenario, btw.
Speaking about motivation - even Medvedeva have more chances to be able to overcome RusNat challenges (with immense help of judges, of course) than Zagitova IMO. In that sense Liza is not very reliable candidate as well - she is too easygoing and tends to lose points on trivial elements even when she is in good form. It's not enough for brutal competition environment IMO.

All the scores that the skaters get at home are questionable and is not a thing that happens only in Russia.

katymay

Medalist

I didn't leave her out. I have her top 3. I have a feeling Alina may withdrawl from the GP and take this year off. I don't think Zhenya will factor into the top. I think 3A, Rika and Lilbet for the top, with either Kaori , Young You or Liza sneaking in for the last spot. Overall, I think this will be the year of Rika.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Im sure Elizaveta will not miss nationals this year...did she said why she got the pneumonia?

She didn't say why if I remember correctly, but apparently the GPF ice rink was extremely cold according to a lot of fans. Colder than usually.