Best competition programs with lyrics | Golden Skate

Best competition programs with lyrics

Wombat1800

On the Ice
Since lyrics were first allowed in singles and pairs competition programs, we have seen countless programs with them. The decision to allow them was somewhat controversial, but what do you think the best programs with lyrics are?

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Loena's Frozen SP (Madonna). Bridge over Troubled water by Sui/Han. Everything James/Cipres do. Tuktamysheva's LP of this season. Sophia's Samodurova Burlesque. Celine Dion programs <3

I generally don't mind lyrics when they are not full of censored fruit popping and popping corks for every men I see and other wildly inappropriate things.

I would love to see some more programs in languages other than english...

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Nathan Chen "Land of All"
H/D "Caught Out In the Rain" FD

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
There is a difference in my mind between two types of programs with lyrics. :think: I’ll use the same skater for both.

1. Lyrics are essential to the program and skater does masterful job interpreting new and interesting lyrics (for skating)

Jason Brown, “The Room Where It Happens” from Hamilton.

2. Lyrics aren’t really important, in fact I haven’t got a clue what the singer is singing, :laugh:but the program is a masterwork anyway

Jason Brown, “Love is a B****”

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
James/Cipres Sound of Silence and Wicked Games: the way they build the intensity of each program to match how the singers build the intensity of the vocals is spectacular.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I gotta say, Javi's Black Betty program was an eye-opener for me regarding lyrics. Love that program!

Also, Maxim K's I Can't Dance program is a fave of mine and I don't even know why. :laugh2:

icetug

Medalist
Two examples come to my mind immediately: Yuzuru's Let's Go Crazy and Conrad Orzel's In My Blood.

anonymoose_au

Insert weird opinion here
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I forgot Kevin Aymoz's SP and FS!

And Ivett Toth's Thunderstruck! :rock:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Javier Fernandez - Black Betty, Man of La Mancha and Guys and Dolls, especially the last one. Frank Sinatra would've loved to watch the program as the presence of his nice voice is immense throughout the program.

In Boyang Jin's Spider Man, I can't imagine the program without the witty voice. The lyrics highlights the mood too.

As for ladies, I think Kaetlyn Osmond's short program with Edith Piaf is also a good one.

Virtue and Moir's Prince medley is also a nice example of how effectively to use lyrics in figure skating programs, but ice dance has allowed lyrics long before the 2014-15 season though.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Javier Fernandez - Black Betty, Man of La Mancha and Guys and Dolls, especially the last one. Frank Sinatra would've loved to watch the program as the presence of his nice voice is immense throughout the program.

I was going to mention these, and also Malaguena - Javi's skating being so full of character and story, lyrics work for him.

Yuzu's Let's Go Crazy, yes of course

To Build a Home, both Papdakis/Cizeron (lovely lovely use of restrained vocals) and Aliev

Sui/Han - Bridge Over Troubled Water

Shoma's Turandot

Elladj Balde's Been Loving You Too Long.

And I have this enormous soft spot for Starr Andrews' warm, fresh Summertime (Gershwin fangirl here)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Pairs:
- James/Cipres "Earned It" SP, "Sound of Silence" FS, "Wicked Games" FS
- Savchenko/Massot "That Man" SP
- Peng/Jin "Ophelia" SP
- Duhamel/Radford "Hometown Glory" FS

Ladies
- Kaetlyn Osmond "Edith Piaf" SP
- Wakaba Higuchi "James Bond" FS
- Ashley Wagner "Moulin Rouge" FS
- Mariah Bell "To Love You More" SP

Men
- Patrick Chan "Blackbird/Dear Prudence" SP
- Nathan Chen "Nemesis" SP
- Nicolas Nadeau "Elvis" FS
- Dmitri Aliev "To Build A Home/Little Miss Sunshine" FS
- Adam Rippon “O/Arrival of the Birds” FS

Dance (just a few recent ones, since they've had lyrics for a long time)
- Virtue/Moir "Prince" SD
- Virtue/Moir "Moulin Rouge!" FD
- Gilles/Poirier “Vincent” FD
- Papadakis/Cizeron “To Build A Home” FD
- Hubbell/Donohue “Caught Out in the Rain” FD

Rissa

Record Breaker
I second Higuchi's Skyfall and Morgan/Cipres Sound of Silence and Uninvited.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, yes, definitely Black Betty, Guys and Dolls and That Man! How did I forget about those?

oatmella

&#38472;&#24013;
Record Breaker
Nathan Chen, Nemesis

Dmitri Aliev, To Build A Home/Little Miss Sunshine
Upon first viewing of this program, I had to immediately look up the Little Miss Sunshine music.

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nathan Chen, Nemesis

Dmitri Aliev, To Build A Home/Little Miss Sunshine
Upon first viewing of this program, I had to immediately look up the Little Miss Sunshine music.

I immediately looked up the Little Miss Sunshine music too. :biggrin: