Check Out our Retired Greats Video Vault! Summerfest 2019! | Golden Skate

Check Out our Retired Greats Video Vault! Summerfest 2019!

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
ANNOUNCEMENT!!!
SUMMER FEST

It is the off season. Time for Summer Fan Fest Fun!

A lot of fan fests of great skaters were posted long before we at Golden Skate had begun posting complete (bio, plus article archive, plus video archive) OPs. Back then, the OPs were pretty much two sentence stubs.

When we decided to move Great Skaters who have been retired over five years to their very own section of Fan Fests:
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?718-Fan-Fest-Retired-Greats
in celebration of this new section, several Golden Skaters, and most notably Mohacz, expanded stub OPs to full coverage and replaced any dead video links with live links.

Quite few Greats now have full OPs! :clap:

Quite a few Greats who had no Fan Fest at all now have them, including the ever fabulous Toller Cranston. :)

Skaters with Full OPs have bold entries in the Greats index.

So now you really can revisit the past by going to the Retired Greats folder and view old vids, read old articles in the OPs.

You can also see whole old competitions in:

Walt FS Hunter's Video Vault

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?80368-Golden-Oldies
A collection of videos stored by year, discipline and competition, starting with the 1956 Winter Olympics. Walt has been working on this continually, and is now posting competitions from the early 1980's :clap:

If there is a great you would like to see added, please tell us who and why in this thread.

Please tell us how you like it.

Here is a copy of the index as it stands today. There will be changes, of course, so you can follow the link from here to the active index.
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?718-Fan-Fest-Retired-Greats

Retired Greats - Index

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?80297-Retired-Greats-Index

When a thread has a complete, up to date OP, it is listed in Bold letters.

Miki Ando

Marina Anissina & Gwendal Peizerat

Brian Boitano

Surya Bonaly

Maria Butyrskaya

Lu Chen

Sasha Cohen

Toller Cranston

Alissa Czisny

Meryl Davis & Charlie White

Isabel Delobel & Oliver Schoenfelder

Isabel Duchesnay & Paul Duchesnay

Rachael Flatt

Scott Hamilton

Sarah Hughes

Midori Ito

Brian Joubert

Nancy Kerrigan

Yu-Na Kim

Kiira Korpi

Michelle Kwan

Stephane Lambiel

Tara Lipinski

Tatsuki Machida

Nobunari Oda

Brian Orser

Pang Qing & Tong Jian

Joannie Rochette

Evgeni Plushenko

Yuka Sato

Irina Slutskaya

Elena Sokolova

Adelina Sotnikova

Fumie Suguri

Rosalynn Sumners

Akiko Suzuki

Denis Ten

Tracey Wainman

Johnny Weir

Alexei Yagudin

Kristi Yamaguchi

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a wonderful idea and thanks to all for the amazing amount of work needed to collage the videos and create the Retired Greats FFs:bow:

The video collection for Toller, for example, is fascinating. A great place to go to remember, or to learn :agree:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Looking at the list myself, I scream why do we not have Kurt Browning and Torvill & Dean!!!.

Or Elvis Stojko

Or Gary Beacom

Or Robert Wagenhoffer

Or Bestemianova & Bukin

Or Klimova & Ponomarenko

Mostly, the reason is that their active careers predated Golden Skate Fan Fests.

I hope some of you will adopt a great from the past and start a ff thread for him/her/them.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Torvill and Dean do not have a Fan Fest:shocked:

And Robert Wagenhoffer! how many folks should know more about this bold and entertaining skater, and another we lost too soon :sad21:

synian

On the Ice
I would love to get a Laurent Tobel 's one. He was such a special ice skater with a very personal sense of art.

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
If nobody has started working on the ff threads for the following skaters, I am going to create them over the following weeks and months :)

Ice Dance:
- Klimova/Ponomarenkoo (I think I will start with them after updating the Duchesnay's OP, which I will start doing today)
- Grishuk/Platov (they will be my third ice dance couple as I simply loved them)
- Krylova/Ovsiannikov
- Usova/Zhulin

Pairs:
- Gordeeva/Grinkov (this will be a tough one, but I'll try to do my best)
- Mishkutionok/Dmitrev
- Kazakova/Dmitriev
- Isabelle Brasseur/Lloyd Eisler

And as regards Ladies, these are my plans (the list is much longer, but once I'll terminate with them, I will reveal more names) :
- Katarina Witt
- Anett Potzsch
- Elaine Zayak
- Ina Bauer (I've decided to create threads for Elaine, Ina and Denise Biellmann, on whose ff I am currently working, because of their influence on figure skating elements and vocabulary )
- Dorothy Hamill
- Kimmie Meisner
- Jeannie Rochette

And as for the existing Ladies ff, I will soon work on:
- Midori Ito
- Fumie Suguri
- Christina Gao

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I had started work on the Duchesnays, because of the choreographer tie-in with Christopher Dean, not to mention his marriage to Isabelle Duchesnay, so please do not do them?

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I had started work on the Duchesnays, because of the choreographer tie-in with Christopher Dean, not to mention his marriage to Isabelle Duchesnay, so please do not do them?

Oh, that's fine. Although IIRC, a couple of weeks ago we agreed I would update their OP because of my absolute love towards them :)

I will start then with Klimova and Ponomarenko :)

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at the list myself, I scream why do we not have Kurt Browning and Torvill & Dean!!!.

Or Elvis Stojko

Or Gary Beacom

Or Robert Wagenhoffer

Or Bestemianova & Bukin

Or Klimova & Ponomarenko

Mostly, the reason is that their active careers predated Golden Skate Fan Fests.

I hope some of you will adopt a great from the past and start a ff thread for him/her/them.

Or the Protopopovs

Or Irina Rodnina and partners

Or Dick Button

But what I'd really like are links to some of the real pioneers. Salchow, for example.

Videos of figure skating competitions from that era are very rare.