Is 15 too late to start figure skating? | Golden Skate

Is 15 too late to start figure skating?

dreamingangel

Spectator
I know I can't do Olympics or anything, but I just want to know if I can learn this beautiful sport and call myself a "skater" my dream would be to maybe earn a medal or trophy possibly. Its really hard to find somewhere in Florida lol, but somewhere 10 min away is starting a season in August! What do you think??

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Depends on what your goals are. If you just want to learn to skate, then 15 is not too old. Realistically starting at 15, you're not going to make it past the test level. You might (depending on a host of factors including time spent and natural talent) be able to land a double or two and some high level tests might be achievable if you work hard. You also could look into adult competitions once you reach a certain level.

If you want to try, go for it and see when you end up.

dreamingangel

Spectator
Given alpha, beta, delta etc. Where do you think I could possibly end up, at best?

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on what your goals are. If you just want to learn to skate, then 15 is not too old. Realistically starting at 15, you're not going to make it past the test level. You might (depending on a host of factors including time spent and natural talent) be able to land a double or two and some high level tests might be achievable if you work hard. You also could look into adult competitions once you reach a certain level.

If you want to try, go for it and see when you end up.

Given alpha, beta, delta etc. Where do you think I could possibly end up, at best?

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I started skating at 27 and was able to do a lot, but I did ballet and gymnastics my entire childhood so I already had good body awareness. (My pic is me skating after maybe two or three months...) I didn't have enough time to really take it seriously for testing/competing purposes. Just start a group lesson, see how you do, and my advice is buy your own pair of skates. Learning to skate in rental skates is near impossible, or it was for me. Once you get your feet under you, you'll love the experience of 'flying'! Give it a try! Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Absolutely no way of knowing how technically proficient you could be, as so much depends on physical factors, along with musicality, determination and aptitude. There are several things that most people achieve, though, and those are - in no particular order - bruising, great friendships and camaraderie, depleted bank account, exhilaration, frustration and an enormously enjoyable and rewarding hobby.

gkelly

Record Breaker

These are names of beginning learn-to-skate classes. If you take to the sport, you should be able to finish the beginning classes and maybe the freestyle classes offered by your rink. What do they offer?

After that would be when serious skating would start.

How far you can get would depend on a lot of different factors.

To begin with, how many hours per week do you think you'll be able to spend on skating, both lessons and practices? Will it be possible for you to increase the amount of time as your skill level increases?

As well as personal factors such as those mentioned by the previous posters.

Hello! I'm 27. I have been skating ~9 or 10 months now. I had a little bit of dance as a teen, but I was always pretty terrible. I'm in USFSA's LTS program at basic/adult 6. Roughly the equivalent of ISI Delta. A girl who's 14 just started at the new session; she's been in ballet all her life and is at high levels of that. She skated in at level 1 and after a month or so she has almost surpassed me entirely. :laugh: Stuff that took me months to learn took her about five minutes. This is all to say skating is very individual, and how long it takes you to learn things will just depend on you. But I know several women my age and older just learning and starting who have made good progress! There is no expiration date on just learning the basics. Enjoy!!

mystery905

Rinkside
It's never too late to start figure skating. I started two years ago at 48, although i have roller and inline skated since I was a teenager.

Sam L

Medalist
It's never too late but it depends on your individual ability from flexibility, stamina, fear, mental ability, strength, natural talent, rotational ability, balance. That's just your body, not to mention time and money. Age is only 1 factor out of those and actually a pretty irrelevant factor.

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
You can get as far as you want to get and are physically able to. Im shaking my head at some of these comments. Don't limit yourself because of your age. Sky's the limit... Just skate and enjoy.

Dancesonice

Spectator
I'd say sign up for group lessons, it's cheaper and will tell you a lot. If you like it and are willing to invest later more (time and money). I have started seriously at 27 (I think), group lessons and occasional public sessions. All depends how often you skate, which is obviously based on the time and money you have, again. I was progressing fairly well (to passing bronze MIF and complete prelim dances tests) until I tried to get pregnant (and had a hard time, so taking breaks set me back). Also, once I finally got my twins, it took a while to get back on the ice. Some people therefore only need a few months to get where others need years! Good luck. It's a great exercise, and the sport is full of nice people (at least within the adult community, we are in it for fun). I know quite a few nice kids who look like they started later in life and are teenagers now, training quite a bit and progressing fast.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada

I'm in Canada and our stuff is named differently, so I have no idea what any of those levels are, but as others have said, it depends on the individual. I know someone who didn't start skating until his early 20s. He was largely self taught at the beginning and he managed to land all his double (minus the axel) and achieved all his gold level tests (diamonds in dance). I also have a friend who has been skating her whole life (she's in her early 20s now) and has never landed an axel and hasn't achieved any gold tests. There are too many variables to predict where you'll end up just from age.

Don't worry about what level of success you'll achieve. If you want to learn to skate, learn to skate and see where it takes you. A coach can help you to set realistic goals for yourself.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes. As long as you've established that you aren't going to the Olympics etc...
Enjoy the sport and go as far as you wish.

Good luck! :)

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I know I can't do Olympics or anything, but I just want to know if I can learn this beautiful sport and call myself a "skater" my dream would be to maybe earn a medal or trophy possibly. Its really hard to find somewhere in Florida lol, but somewhere 10 min away is starting a season in August! What do you think??

Yes it might be hard for the olympics but it is never too late if you have the heart and some physical ability of course ie to move, stand up, see. Even the olympics is never impossible - hard yes. If you are relying on the Eteri method well yes it is probably too late (pre puberty do quads) but maybe you could be a Maria Butyrskaya in singles or a Savchenko in pairs. Really skating should be for you first No point if you don't enjoy it.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Yes it might be hard for the olympics but it is never too late if you have the heart and some physical ability of course ie to move, stand up, see. Even the olympics is never impossible - hard yes. If you are relying on the Eteri method well yes it is probably too late (pre puberty do quads) but maybe you could be a Maria Butyrskaya in singles or a Savchenko in pairs. Really skating should be for you first No point if you don't enjoy it.

Actually the Olympics would be pretty impossible, especially starting at 15. But hey what do I know? I've only done so and skated since I was a toddler.

Eteri method?!? Are you kidding me!? This person who is just wanting to learn basics right now is no way getting quads by her/his next birthday. :palmf:

Now, if the OP wants to just see how far they can go and learn and enjoy skating and maybe compete down the line then that's great. But Olympics, no.

Lulu39

Rinkside
It's never too late. Some people even start as adults. It just depends on what youre after. Lets say you decide to compete, like really be competitive. Ok but be realistic about your goals and your role models. You may not compete with the likes of Zagitova but if you look, and get honest feedback, you will find people around your level to compete against. At whatever level you find yourself. It's a great sport with lots of great stuff to learn. Patience. Perseverence. Determination. Good luck and enjoy!

Ducky

On the Ice

Go for it. Lots of colleges (mostly in the Northeast and Midwest though, although I see that the University of Miami, FL has a figure skating club) offer figure skating as a health elective for credit as well as have club figure skating and synchronized skating teams. Depending upon where you're looking to go to college there would be opportunities to compete for them even at a high-beginner or pre-preliminary level.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

- - - Updated - - -

There are adult skaters who start in their 40s or older and end up in freestyle, so I'm sure that would be a realistic goal for you.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can get as far as you want to get and are physically able to. Im shaking my head at some of these comments. Don't limit yourself because of your age. Sky's the limit... Just skate and enjoy.

Really! She's only 15. I think if someone puts in the effort at any age they should be able to make it to the highest level of basic skills (Delta or USFSA 6), at least. I say, go for it, see if you like it and if you do, you will progress.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

No, there will always be limitations because of age. The OP is clearly a fairly sensible teenager who understands that she will never make the Olympics. Why are you trying to fill a perfectly logical person's head with fantasies?

It is too late.

Why is it that fools choose skaters whose success came when they were "older" like Butyrskaya and Savchenko and then act like none of their career before that point is relevant? Yes, Butyrskaya was 29 when she won Worlds. She also started skating at five years old. Savchenko was also five years old. All of that time is important.