2020-21 Ice Dance Rhythm Dance Requirements | Golden Skate

2020-21 Ice Dance Rhythm Dance Requirements

litenkyckling

Final Flight
(Sorry obviously this is so far away! But always good to keep in mind)

The ISU has announced that the 2020/2021 RD theme will be Folk
The Junior pattern: Westminster Waltz
The Senior pattern: Ravensburger Waltz

They’re really trying to bring back a wee bit more of an original dance huh? But it pushes for more creativity then I’m all for it! (But then do stricter parameters block or ignite creativity?)

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Folk is the theme? I demand kilts!!! I can’t wait.

Ducky

On the Ice
Folk is the theme? I demand kilts!!! I can’t wait.

And here i'm thinking if every guy isn't wearing that plaid shirt from 2008, every gal looking as if they're ready to play a set at the Jalopy then they are doing something wrong. Here's hoping we get lots of Sufjan Stevens and Bon Iver programs.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
looking ahead again but maybe Yankee Polka for olympics?

If they do one of the patterns that have previously been used for the senior SD/RD, that's one of only 3 options I can see, along with Midnight Blues and the Paso Doble. The others will have been used too recently or would be repeats (i.e. no rhumba for 2 Olympics in a row, and no Golden waltz for waltz 2 seasons in a row).

If they were to do the blues with a hip hop option again, that might go over really well with the general audiences. I imagine V/M's Prince routine would have been a big hit.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
is irish music folk? if so a can predict a lot of programs on it, also, going east, a lot of Dark Eyes and czardas

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
And here i'm thinking if every guy isn't wearing that plaid shirt from 2008, every gal looking as if they're ready to play a set at the Jalopy then they are doing something wrong. Here's hoping we get lots of Sufjan Stevens and Bon Iver programs.

Don’t they mean folk as in Folk music, like Riverdance and Dashing White Sargent?

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Don’t they mean folk as in Folk music, like Riverdance and Dashing White Sargent?

That was my assumption too (though I wouldn't call Riverdance authentic folk - that would be more She Moved Through the Fair etc for me). Though I suppose indie-folk and folk-rock might be acceptable. There are even country music waltzes out there if someone wants to go in that direction and the final specifications for music leave the option open.

Ducky

On the Ice

To quote from one of my favorite movies, Inside Llewellyn Davis, "If it was never new, and it never gets old, then it’s a folk song."

Does acoustic Bob Dylan have any waltz like songs? I know Woody Guthrie has a few.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
To quote from one of my favorite movies, Inside Llewellyn Davis, "If it was never new, and it never gets old, then it’s a folk song."

Does acoustic Bob Dylan have any waltz like songs? I know Woody Guthrie has a few.

When they say "waltz," they mean music that has a waltz RHYTHM/BEAT. You could take the most Punk or Heavy Metal song and as long as you find a recording of it that has a waltz beat, you're good to go.

Not that teams will take advantage of this. I wish they would.

And put me on the Golden Waltz train. So much more beautiful, interesting and challenging than a RW.

gkelly

Record Breaker

This doesn't always hold true, but as a general rule of thumb, if the composer is Anonymous, it's a folk song.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Folk as in folklore?

Is there any risk of tacky inappropriate "Aborigines" programs? :O

very likely. but you know what else is also very likely? some of us will feel at least bothered by some stereotypical choices :popcorn: (i'm not ruling myself out :biggrin:)

VenusHalley

Final Flight
Actually, it would be cool if there were no step requirements and skaters could just do interpretation of folklore dance from their region... Maybe it would be hard to judge, but it would ensure some variety. ANd it would be good way to show off your culture.

Maybe there skates: folklore, rhythmic dance, original dance....

one can always dream

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

But on the other hand, there's the old musicians' saying that in order to be folk, it has to be by Anonymous. :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
But on the other hand, there's the old musicians' saying that in order to be folk, it has to be by Anonymous. :)

Plenty of the selections the last time we had folk dances were by recognizable artists, and some of them were recent songs by modern performers at that.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Plenty of the selections the last time we had folk dances were by recognizable artists, and some of them were recent songs by modern performers at that.

I'm aware of that. I was making a joke. Hence the smilie.

bunnybarista

If I risk it all, could you break my fall?~
On the Ice
Actually, it would be cool if there were no step requirements and skaters could just do interpretation of folklore dance from their region... Maybe it would be hard to judge, but it would ensure some variety. ANd it would be good way to show off your culture.

Maybe there skates: folklore, rhythmic dance, original dance....

one can always dream

Wasn't that kind of what the original dance often was? I remember a lot of "folk" dances, flamenco, irish, indian, etc. And some teams still choose to present a traditional dance from their country through the free dance. Notably the Bulgarians Zdravkova/Davis did a free dance to traditional Bulgarian music and rhythms while wearing traditional costumes. While they didn't score very well, Bulgaria as a whole embraced the team and it helped bring ice dancing to the attention of locals. Kinda cool!