Shoma Uno to change coaches | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Shoma Uno to change coaches

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yamato Tamura, maybe?

I mean, the ice might melt with the two of them sitting in the K&C, but there would be no language barrier. :eek::

ManiDani

Rinkside
Is Yuka Sato still coaching? She has experience coaching a top man with Jeremy and there wouldn’t be a language barrier.

skatefan22

Medalist
Not sure if he would try out any Japanese coach as he clearly expressed his eagerness to train alongside top level skaters.

rnois13

On the Ice
I'm leaning more towards Mishin. Caro just retired and he's got a free spot. Otherwise, pick any Canadian coach?
I don't think Raf's temperament is compatible with Shoma. And no way he'd change his eating habits for Eteri. The only things Tom Z has to offer is he works at the Toyota Center and his friends live close by.

risingtrot

On the Ice
I hope whoever Shoma chooses, he will have a great connection with the new coach.

I will definitely miss coach Mihoko with Shoma at K&C though. Mihoko is like a mother figure. Never seen her got mad, moody or grumpy at K&C. Always very supportive regardless of the skater's performance both good and bad.

That said, change is always difficult but I think also essential so I am excited for Shoma this upcoming season.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Shoma moving to Russia ... seems unlikely. Sure, Eteri trains Morisi and Elizabet (who represent other countries) - but they are from Moscow and there are no language barriers.
Eteri speaks English as she lived and worked in the US as a skater and coach for several years. She would have no problem to converse with skaters in English

die Wolke

Rinkside
There's a few places he can go I think, but not that many. The switch itself is pretty risky, so he will likely work with known coaches in the international circuit.
I'm agree. Moreover, Shoma himself said that he will be training with skater(s) of his level.

Autumn Leaves

On the Ice
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ridze-alexei-mishin-coach-split/#.XPY9b9MzYWp

This article by Jack Gallagher confirms that 2 months ago, when he said he had information about a famous Japanese skater moving to Eteri, he meant Shoma Uno.

"Ice Time learned two months ago about three-time Japan champion Uno possibly joining Tutberidze. Reports in the Russian media in recent weeks have also confirmed that Uno’s camp has talked with Tutberidze’s people."

Of course, he may be really shopping for a team yet, so it is yet very unclear what the final decision will be. What an unexpected development! It is really difficult to imagine Shoma training outside of Japan, but I hope it works for him.

Watch

Final Flight
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports...ridze-alexei-mishin-coach-split/#.XPY9b9MzYWp

This article by Jack Gallagher confirms that 2 months ago, when he said he had information about a famous Japanese skater moving to Eteri, he meant Shoma Uno.

"Ice Time learned two months ago about three-time Japan champion Uno possibly joining Tutberidze. Reports in the Russian media in recent weeks have also confirmed that Uno’s camp has talked with Tutberidze’s people."

Of course, he may be really shopping for a team yet, so it is yet very unclear what the final decision will be. What an unexpected development! It is really difficult to imagine Shoma training outside of Japan, but I hope it works for him.

I find Eteri a very strange choice for him, but if it's true, it'll be VERY interesting to see how things develop. What's also strange to me in general is that it looks like he hasn't decided on where to go yet. Why leave your old coach if you don't know whether you'll get a better option yet?

skatefan22

Medalist
I find Eteri a very strange choice for him, but if it's true, it'll be VERY interesting to see how things develop. What's also strange to me in general is that it looks like he hasn't decided on where to go yet. Why leave your old coach if you don't know whether you'll get a better option yet?

Like to show his determination for a change? And also to let the three camps that he will go to try out know that he is sure to choose one among them.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

The number one thing I associate with Eteri's camp is consistency. The second thing I associate is jump difficulty. The third thing I associate is tons of transitions (whether useful or just thrown in there to have them). The first two things Shoma needs to bring back in order to be a contender for the top of the podium again, and he could use a greater variety of transitions in his programs too. While other environments might be "nicer" and develop his overall skating better and produce better programs, Tutberidze practically forces you to be a contender come hell or high water. Like the first conversation will be - let's get that 3A+4T... along with your 4F, 4S... and we are bringing back your 4L. I'd kinda fear for Shoma getting worn out in camp Tutberidze but it might sharpen his competitiveness and yield better results.

chanchan

On the Ice
NO Eteri, please! Shoma already has some kind of injuries this season. He needs training more effectively, instead of more training. 21 years old is not that young in figure skating world. A coach with experiences dealing with grown skaters is much more better.

Watch

Final Flight
The number one thing I associate with Eteri's camp is consistency. The second thing I associate is jump difficulty. The third thing I associate is tons of transitions (whether useful or just thrown in there to have them). The first two things Shoma needs to bring back in order to be a contender for the top of the podium again, and he could use a greater variety of transitions in his programs too. While other environments might be "nicer" and develop his overall skating better and produce better programs, Tutberidze practically forces you to be a contender come hell or high water. Like the first conversation will be - let's get that 3A+4T... along with your 4F, 4S... and we are bringing back your 4L. I'd kinda fear for Shoma getting worn out in camp Tutberidze but it might sharpen his competitiveness and yield better results.

I mean, I won't be the first to note that the incredible success she has with Ladies is yet to translate to Men. She has had a number of upcoming talents among Junior Men in the past years and does so now, but none has made it to seniors as of yet. She has coached Voronov for a time, but that was a few seasons ago and the success, while there was some, wasn't what Shoma would aspire to. And there's Moris, who's not showing much of impressive results. Then there's the fact that her coaching style is well-known to rely mainly on an extreme amount of repitions, working great for young healthy bodies but posing problems for a bit older athletes with recurring injuries. Which to me makes her an unlikely choice for a senior athlete in Men's divison who has spent most of the last season skating injured.

I don't think it's completely out of the question, of course, just very surprising.