CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is Sasha Fear related to Lilah?

I believe they're sisters.

Yep. There are 3 Fear sisters.

Sasha is the youngest, Lilah is the middle, and Georgia is the oldest.

All three started out as singles skaters. Georgia quit skating to concentrate on her other sport of running, while Lilah and Sasha switched to Ice Dance.

CaroLiza_fan

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Hope Lilah and Lewis have a better day tomorrow!

Also just a thought but: I wonder if their plan is to do iconic pop-ish music through the ages this quad? Last season we had 1970s disco, this season 1980s Madonna, maybe we could see 1990s Spice Girls next year? Not sure who they'd do for the noughties but I'm sure there's something salvageable!

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Wow, a fall for Lilah and Lewis. Step sequence or twizzle? I'd be curious to know. But with a 23 point lead, I think they have at least a so-so chance of winning the title. ;)

Aha! Not surprised to see Brown and Hernandez in the lead in junior dance. They won on the patterns. Gosh, remember when "getting your levels" really meant something? Good to see that it meant something here.

Lots of B levels on the pattern in juniors. The ISU are just plain stupid to downplay them so much. After figures were eliminated in singles, it took DECADES for skaters to get the same kind of edge and turning controls (many would argue they still haven't) --and only because COP forced them to. ISU=Penny wise, Pound foolish.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Day 4 of the British Championships is about to start. Today we have the Free Skates for the Senior Pairs and Singles skating categories, and for all the levels of Ice Dance. Except, the difference to yesterday is that the Ice Dance is starting off the day today instead of ending it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/winter-sports/50424317

But, because the last Formula 1 race of the season is today, I will not be watching LIVE.

Advanced Novice Free Dance kicking off the action today

Hope this helps

:cheer: ALL THE BEST EVERYBODY!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks Caroliza. I’m actually watching the F1 too but I will be tuning into nationals later!

fzztsimmons

On the Ice

It still blows my mind that Lewis was 11 when he started skating, and it was because of dancing on ice. And now he's part of a high-level, medal winning ice dance team? It's honestly insane how much he progressed! It also makes me mad, because I too was an 11 year old inspired to skate by dancing on ice and I am definitely not high level medal winning material!! Young me should be ashamed of herself for not trying harder! :laugh:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Does PJ’s win means he is going to Worlds?

It’s very likely. However Graham Newberry still has a higher international PB this season. They might send them to Challenge Cup again for a skate off, but as it is PJ is the only one with the tech minimums. If Graham can get the minimums I think they might consider a switch but usually NISA/British Ice Skating do honour the Nationals result.

At the very least I’d assume this makes him a lock for Euros. I think the likelihood of PJ going to Worlds is over 80%.

I also expect to still see Tweedale/Buckland as the second choice for Euros even though they didn’t compete. They were at Nationals though and showed off their new RD so I’m not sure of the story there...

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s very likely. However Graham Newberry still has a higher international PB this season. They might send them to Challenge Cup again for a skate off, but as it is PJ is the only one with the tech minimums. If Graham can get the minimums I think they might consider a switch but usually NISA/British Ice Skating do honour the Nationals result.

At the very least I’d assume this makes him a lock for Euros. I think the likelihood of PJ going to Worlds is over 80%.

I also expect to still see Tweedale/Buckland as the second choice for Euros even though they didn’t compete. They were at Nationals though and showed off their new RD so I’m not sure of the story there...

I sure hope he goes to Worlds. I have someone to stuffie him at Worlds but not at Euros.

Andrea82

Medalist

The selection criteria should be the following

ISU CHAMPIONSHIPS

SELECTION AND QUALIFICATION

The following process will be followed for any ISU Championship event on the condition that the athlete(s) has achieved the minimum total technical score as set by the ISU for the relevant season. Dates of selection meetings will be advertised on the Timeline7.

Each GB Performance Squad athlete(s)/team will have their current season’s best score taken from any ISU-listed International or ISU Grand Prix in the same category as the Championship event, where entered by British Ice Skating, totalled with twice the season’s British Championship score at the same category. All scores obtained before the selection meeting date will be considered. In normal circumstances, the athlete/team with the highest total score will usually be considered for selection. All scores are relevant whether achieved as a GB Performance Squad member or not, and lower-squad level athletes/teams will also be considered on this basis.

GB Performance Squad athletes who only have an international score will also be considered within the calculations for the relevant category.

DE-SELECTION FROM AN ISU CHAMPIONSHIP EVENT

British Ice Skating reserves the right to consider for selection other athletes/teams in lieu of the athlete/team with the highest score in any circumstances where:

(i) British Ice Skating considers, in their sole discretion, that the other athlete/team are likely to produce a better performance at the event, but failed to achieve the highest score for a valid reason including, but not limited to, their previous non-attendance, withdrawal or under-performance at any relevant ISU-listed International event, Grand Prix, or British Championships, whether such was due to injury, or otherwise; or
(ii) British Ice Skating considers the other athlete/team are likely to produce a better performance at this specific event owing to the subsequent injury or loss of form of the athlete/team with the highest total score; or
(iii) the athlete or any member of the team with the highest score has breached the Athlete Agreement.

So best International score is taken in consideration but Nationals are weighted twice.
Point (i) of the second section will likely be used for Tweedale/Buckland.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I have just posted a version of this in the dedicated thread in the Competition Forum, but have now realised that it may trigger a better discussion in this thread. So, apologies for posting essentially the same thing twice.

Thanks Caroliza. I’m actually watching the F1 too but I will be tuning into nationals later!

Nah, it wasn't the best race I've ever seen. A bit of an anti-climax to end the season. My boy Charles may have finished third (long time Ferrari fan here!), but I was expecting him to be disqualified. So, my main interest lay more in the lower positions. I would have loved to see Huelkenburg get into the points in what may be his final race, but at the same time was delighted that Sainz did to secure 6[SUP]th[/SUP] in the Championship.

But, getting back to the topic, although the skating was good for all four days, I do think that it didn't have the same buzz to it as last year. Of course, we didn't have the younger age groups this year, but the smaller entries in those categories that were here didn't help either.

With there being fewer competitions and fewer entries, it meant that we had longer gaps between segments. The day really did drag on. And the fact that we were just looking at a fullscreen timetable during the breaks to proceedings didn't help. What happened the interesting features that we got between segments last year?

And that is before we even get to the fact that we didn't get to see any podium ceremonies! :mad:

Matthew, David and Candice were great in commentary, but they had to spend too much time explaining things to Claire. And it was just a case of one skater in and one skater out. Last year, we had groups of skaters having conversations in the commentary box, and it was brilliant!

No, these changes that were requested by the BBC really sucked the atmosphere out of the Championships this year.

I hope the Fed realises this and puts their foot down next year. It may mean that they lose the BBC coverage, but they could always put up their own stream, on YouTube for example.

CaroLiza_fan

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The selection criteria should be the following

ISU CHAMPIONSHIPS

SELECTION AND QUALIFICATION

The following process will be followed for any ISU Championship event on the condition that the athlete(s) has achieved the minimum total technical score as set by the ISU for the relevant season. Dates of selection meetings will be advertised on the Timeline7.

Each GB Performance Squad athlete(s)/team will have their current season’s best score taken from any ISU-listed International or ISU Grand Prix in the same category as the Championship event, where entered by British Ice Skating, totalled with twice the season’s British Championship score at the same category. All scores obtained before the selection meeting date will be considered. In normal circumstances, the athlete/team with the highest total score will usually be considered for selection. All scores are relevant whether achieved as a GB Performance Squad member or not, and lower-squad level athletes/teams will also be considered on this basis.

GB Performance Squad athletes who only have an international score will also be considered within the calculations for the relevant category.

DE-SELECTION FROM AN ISU CHAMPIONSHIP EVENT

British Ice Skating reserves the right to consider for selection other athletes/teams in lieu of the athlete/team with the highest score in any circumstances where:

(i) British Ice Skating considers, in their sole discretion, that the other athlete/team are likely to produce a better performance at the event, but failed to achieve the highest score for a valid reason including, but not limited to, their previous non-attendance, withdrawal or under-performance at any relevant ISU-listed International event, Grand Prix, or British Championships, whether such was due to injury, or otherwise; or
(ii) British Ice Skating considers the other athlete/team are likely to produce a better performance at this specific event owing to the subsequent injury or loss of form of the athlete/team with the highest total score; or
(iii) the athlete or any member of the team with the highest score has breached the Athlete Agreement.

So best International score is taken in consideration but Nationals are weighted twice.
Point (i) of the second section will likely be used for Tweedale/Buckland.

Wow that’s confusing.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
So doing the maths:

PJ: 609.46
Graham: 583.27

Mostly due to Graham’s unusually low Nationals score.

Like I said as it stands PJ is the only one with the tech minimums.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
A good week for Emily Rose Brown and James Hernandez - they missed out on a bronze medal at Jr Golden Spin by just 0.09 following their junior British title at the weekend!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
A good week for Emily Rose Brown and James Hernandez - they missed out on a bronze medal at Jr Golden Spin by just 0.09 following their junior British title at the weekend!

It was amazing skate by them. I wish I could’ve seen it! It’s a shame F/W withdrew.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Tweedale & Buckland and Graham Newberry will be competing at the Mentor Cup In January. Let’s hope there’s a stream!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States