2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
They already got us an extra one for Europeans. My hope for that is that they get into the last group / top 5.
Top 5 at Euros is definitely doable, if that’s what you mean. Their RD score has been increasing to the point where it’s very competitive with the Spanish teams and the Poles, though a few points below what the top four teams will get.

pesto

On the Ice
Top 5 at Euros is definitely doable, if that’s what you mean. Their RD score has been increasing to the point where it’s very competitive with the Spanish teams and the Poles, though a few points below what the top four teams will get.

Yes, that's what I meant, hoping that they keep up the improvement on their RD, so that they get top 5 on both segments, and skate in that last group for the free - I think that just being in that group must feel great!

UKIceDanceFan

Spectator
Country
United-Kingdom
Feel free to also discuss skaters who train in the UK in this thread, eg. Bulgarians Mina Zdravkova (who used to compete for GB) & Chris Davis, who train at Lee Valley in East London with Marika Humphreys-Baranova & Vitaliy Baranov. Chris has Bulgarian citizenship now, so hopefully they can compete at Beijing Olympics 2022, and if they get the TES minimum, Europeans this season, as they are Bulgarian No.1s. :)

Let's face it, I don't see this couple mentioned in the European Ice Dance thread or elsewhere, and they deserve some love! :ghug:

I would 2nd that!

UKIceDanceFan

Spectator
Country
United-Kingdom
There is a list on BIS website of those who have qualified for the British Ice Skating Championships 2019, http://www.iceskating.org.uk/index....s/2019/british-figure-skating-championships/:
Can't do a link to actual document, but a copy and paste is here:

British Figure Skating Championships 2019
28th November – 1st December Ice Sheffield
Qualified Skaters

Advanced Novice Ladies

Tallula Tysoe
Lucy Hay
Isabella Todd
Arabella Sear Watkins
Alexa Severn
Sofia Clark
Lowenna Prigg
Emma Lyons
Abigail Liew
Alana Pang
Lucy Gardiner
Lucy Murray
Molly Rendel
Natalya Herbert
Rebecca Geddes
Mikan Bray

Advanced Novice Men

Jacob Casey
Lucas Fitterer

Junior Ladies

Angelica Volkov
Genevieve Somerville
Verity Carruthers
Molly Robotham
Elena Komova
Rebecca Gillespie
Megan Morley
Ele Silvester
Louise Falconer
Jasmine Cressey
Kayla Fry
Christie Shannon
Esther Carruthers
Halah Thomas
Chloe Dempsie
Ashelen Lund Course
Eleanor Hayes
Rei Yoshimoto
Amy Morris
Avery Wieczorek
Anna Litvinenko
Zharia Horne
Ruby Boyd
Natasha Gadsdon

Junior Men

Conor Bray
Elliot Appleby
Edward Appleby
Brandon Bailey
Joseph Zakipour
Ken Fitterer

Senior Ladies

Genevieve Somerville
Victoria McMahon
Kristen Spours
Danielle Harrison
Katie Powell
Nina Povey
Bethany Powell
Natasha Mckay
Karly Robertson

Senior Men

James Horrocks
Graham Newberry
Peter James Hallam
Harry Mattick
Elliott Thompson

Senior Pairs

Zoe Jones / Christopher Boyadji

Advanced Novice Dance

Vasilisa Ahramenka / Alessio Surenkov - Gultchev
Sophia Buchell / Curtis Bushell
Natalie Nicoll / Peter Nicoll
Katarina Fairbridge / Alexander Fairbridge
Olivia Jenkinson / Stanley Evans

Junior Dance

Lucy Hancock / Billy Wilson French
Brienne Reher / Christopher Bland
Sasha Fear / George Waddell
Emily Brown / James Hernandez
Erin Gilles / Joshua Tarry
Vasilisa Ahramenko / Alessio Surenkov - Gultchev
Natalie Nicoll / Peter Nicoll
Phebe Bekker / Theodore Alexander

Senior Dance

Eleanor Hirst / Anthony Currie
Lilah Fear / Lewis Gibson
Shannon Jahrling / Luke Russell
Jodie Russell / Aaron freeman
Rebecca Clarke / Frank Roselli
Robynne Tweedale / Joseph Buckland
Jessica Marjot / Jan Nordman

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Lovey to see Rei Yoshimoto back competing for GBR, I always liked her. Also nice to see some good numbers in the categories. With the exception of Pairs and Advance Novice Men there is a nice turn out!

Hopefully Luke Digby can recover in time and we can see Emilia Drury & Aidan Brown in junior pairs but I think that’s more unlikely.

GWI

Spectator
Haven't seen anyone mention this, but there were three GBR skaters in action last weekend at the ISU competition Tirnavia Ice Cup 2019 in Slovakia. Some decent results there too.

Junior Ladies:

Genevieve Somerville - finished 5th in the short and 2nd in the free, finishing 4th overall

Taylor Mcleod - finished 10th in the short and 7th in the free, finishing 8th overall

Junior Men:

Jacob Casey - finished 4th in the short and 2nd in the free, finishing 3rd overall

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It's a story about hockey rather than figure skating, but it is also about the ice/rink situation in Ireland.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/irish-ice-rink-shortage-1.5345512

Just read a story that has me worried about the situation here on Ireland:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/dundonald-ice-bowl-revamp-outlined-17207382

Dundonald Ice Bowl is the only Olympic sized rink on the island, and one of only 2 permanent rinks on the island (both of which are in the Belfast area). And it is where pretty much all the figure skaters that are based on the island train.

So, what is going to happen during the re-development work? The story doesn't make clear how it is going to be done. It said that the new building is going to be to the west of the site (the current building is on the east of the site). Does this mean that the current building is going to remain in use while the new building is being built? It would be great if it did. But if not, the figure skaters that train there are going to be up the creek without a paddle.

Of course, improved facilities will be great in the long run. But, in the process of getting them, the small figure skating scene that we already have on the island could be killed off.

Sure, there is an ice hockey rink 5 miles up the road at the Odyssey Arena in Belfast. BUT, the Odyssey is the main concert venue in Northern Ireland, and there are events happening at it all the time. So between these events and ice hockey matches, I can't imagine figure skaters being able to get much of a look in.

Earlier in the year, there was talk about the Dundalk Ice Dome re-opening (for those that don't know, Dundalk is exactly halfway between Belfast and Dublin). Unfortunately, I haven't heard anything since. But, if it did happen to re-open before the Dundonald rink closed, it would greatly help to keep the figure skating scene on this island alive.

So, fingers crossed that there is a plan to maintain ice availability during the re-development.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
That’s awful! Situations like this remind me of what happened to Richmond. They said for years they’d rebuild the rink and were legally obliged to do so but it never happened.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Denkova-Staviski Cup in Sofia Bulgaria, has a big group of our skaters. For Ireland Conor Stakelum is in 7th (59.44) and Sam McAllister (47.89) in 14th. For GB Graham Newberry is in 1st (74.82) and Natasha McKay is in 3rd (51.46)!

In junior men Conor Bray is in 1st also (57.32)!

Looking at the protocols looks like Natasha popped her 3Lo+2T into a 1T and had a squiffy landing on the 3S but otherwise did well!

Sam McAlister has a bit of a mare. Popped his 3Lz to a 1Lz and got an incorrect edge on his 3F and missed (?) the combo. Conor Stakelum had -GOE on his 3Lo but otherwise was good! Graham Newberry was clean and only lost levels on two spins. Conor Bray has all positive GOE!

Hopefully some footage will appear soon!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
What a lovely article thank you. Although I’m not sure I’d call the UK a small country with over 60 million people xD it’s just our skating scene that’s small.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Here's an article I did about Zoe Jones/Christopher Boyadji of Great Britain:

http://figureskatersonline.com/news...topher-boyadji-taking-the-path-less-traveled/

Zoe & Chris compete today at Warsaw Cup.

A great article. My respect for these two skaters grows and grows. They also seem to be real mates, and I love his "I'm not the tallest boy" and referring to Zoe not being the smallest girl. Well, I love their lines because of the lesser height differential.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Update on Denkova-Staviski Cup in Sofia Bulgaria.

In senior ladies Natasha MCKAY came second with 150.83, her best total score of the season. She popped a couple of jumps but was otherwise clean.

In senior men Graham Newberry for GB dropped to second but like Natasha had his best total score of the season with 208.82 points. Conor Stakelum with team Irland dropped to 10th with 164.02 points, ten points higher than his ISU SB and Sam McAllister jumped up to 13th with 140.40 points. Below his SB but a good recovery. All three have good room to grow with these programs, Graham had some under rotations, Conor some negative GOEs and Sam fell twice but I have confidence they’re working hard. It’s good to see everyone trending upwards.

In junior men Conor Bray dropped to 2nd with 151.27 but this is much improved from his first competition in Dundee where he got 118 points.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Firstly, some good news if overseas fans want to watch the British Championships:

"Fantastic News! �� With only 9 days until the British Championships, British Ice Skating are pleased to announce that we have successfully partnered with the BBC. You will be able to watch the championships at home or on the go through the BBC Sports App and BBC iPlayer, and this year the BBC have agreed to streaming worldwide! Be sure to create a free account soon so you don’t miss out, and let family and friends know! ⛸��"

Source: https://www.facebook.com/BritishIceSkating/photos/a.778373445533463/2542016875835769/?type=3&theater

I don't know if there will be any coverage on the BBC Red Button interactive channel. But, hopefully there will.

And just in case there is any confusion, if you have heard that the Red Button service is closing down on 30[SUP]th[/SUP] January 2020, it is the Red Button teletext service that is being talked about. The Red Button interactive channel is continuing. So, if the BBC do have the rights for any of the Majors this season, the Red Button channel will still be available for showing them.

Also, this week it was announced that the BBC Sport App and the BBC News App will be closing at the same time. From what I have read, there is no need to worry - we will still be able to watch livestreams of sports, but it will be done via the iPlayer.

So, these latest cutbacks won't affect our sports viewing. And hopefully future cutbacks won't either.

Secondly, I watched the Cup Of Russia Men's SP yesterday and, although it didn't concern a skater from the British Isles, there was one moment that I thought should be mentioned here...

ROLAND RAT MADE AN APPEARANCE!!! :jaw:

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

Unfortunately, his appearance is interrupted by a highlights package. So, to make things easier, the direct links to the 2 clips of him are below.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOWRHMGzq7I&t=234
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOWRHMGzq7I&t=317

Who would have thought that after all these years he would re-surface in Russia?!

CaroLiza_fan