2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello everyone, I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread - and we agreed to also include Irish FS, both North & South, as the skaters train in the UK with British Coaches and hold their Championships at Lee Valley in London every year. :cool:

I have some news from Simon Briggs, coach of Natasha McKay, GB Ladies Champion, from Dundee.

They are currently in Berlin, working on her new Free Program with Choreographer Mark Pillay.
Simon says, "after 2 days her program is looking great already". :)

I'm also really glad to hear that Karly Robertson is competing next season. :agree:

Maju

On the Ice
Great to see some Irish representation here! 🇮🇪 I feel ashamed that I don’t even know my own country’s skaters hahaha

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Great to see some Irish representation here! ���� I feel ashamed that I don’t even know my own country’s skaters hahaha

Hopefully you'll be well informed reading this thread next season, and contribute to it! :agree:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Hello everyone, I've taken the liberty of starting a new thread - and we agreed to also include Irish FS, both North & South, as the skaters train in the UK with British Coaches and hold their Championships at Lee Valley in London every year. :cool:

Thank you so much, La Rhumba!!! :bow: :cheer: :clap: :points:

:thank:

Great to see some Irish representation here! ���� I feel ashamed that I don’t even know my own country’s skaters hahaha

I think every skating fan on this island can relate to that statement! :disapp: :slink:

Apart from Conor Stakelum and Sam McAllister, I can't say I'm familiar with any of the skaters currently competing for Ireland. Well, with 2 of the Ladies skaters, I recognise their names (Elizabeth Golding and Sophia Tkacheva). But, I couldn't point them out to somebody if I saw them.

It's even worse for the Northerners. Apart from the aforementioned Sam McAllister, if somebody asked me to name the local skaters currently competing, I could only name one (Jordan Graham). But I have never actually seen her skating - I just know her name.

Unfortunately, until we get some more rinks on the island (particularly in the South), the number of competitive skaters will remain small.

So, hopefully having Irish skaters included in this thread on GS will help raise interest in the few skaters from this island that are competing. :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
You're welcome, CaroLiza_fan, I did write 'news and chat' in the thread title to encourage more visitors and contributors, but it was expunged by the Mods. :laugh:

Anyway, I hope all our skaters, in all disciplines, will have successful seasons, and those who had injuries will be fully recovered, and back competing again (Luke Digby). :agree:

Don't forget if you see anything newsworthy or interesting about one of our skaters across social media, don't forget to link it here, as not everyone uses them all. ;)

:hap10::clap::coffee:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I remember Harry Mattick at Challenge cup this year. An entertaining skater. I hope he will qualify for worlds next season.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Harry is, performance wise, so so talented but he really struggles with poping his jumps. I can’t wait to see him at ACI as he usually debuts his season there.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Christopher Dean working with US Ice Dancers Carreira/Ponomarenko in Colorado.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByTuEDbJeca/

Christina Carreira on Instagram: “So happy we got to work with the amazing Christopher Dean #legend”

Torvill & Dean competed against Anthony's Parents, also Legends, Klimova/Ponomarenko, in the 1980s.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
News of GB Men's Champion PJ Hallam, who has released details and a video clip of his new Short Program.

Guys I love my new Short program!! Here is just a little of the excitement
Choreography by - dawnpeckett
Music Choice by - @robincousinsice

I still have never seen the film "Footloose", but LOVE the music, and suits him down to the ground! :cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaZfIQnWRe/?igshid=ihsktvk9p7h3

Last edited:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I was just about to post this, it’s so so awesome! His footwork is amazing!!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Love footloose too! I’m a british figure skater (junior) who skates in Nottingham, and big fan of pj (skates hour away). Sam McAllister (senior Irish champion) is a mate of mine, and his mum is one of our coaches. He’s training triple axel and soon quad lutz again so hopefully Europeans soon!

My name is Daniel Kaye (not well known as junior who hasn’t made international debut) but I’ve applied for Irish citizenship so hopefully I’ll be Irish soon ����

Hey Daniel

Firstly, thank you for the update on Sam. I'm looking forward to seeing what he has for next season.

And thank you for introducing yourself as well.

Looking at your Rink Results page, there are an awful lot of coloured cells! :bow: So, I think you're doing yourself a bit of a disservice there with being so modest! ;)

It'll be good to have a guy competing in Juniors for Ireland, now that Sam has moved to Seniors. There weren't any Junior Men at Nationals this season. :disapp:

And good to hear that Mags is still coaching other skaters as well as Sam. She has done so much for skating in Ireland, on both sides of the border. And I know the word "legend" gets bandied about a lot nowadays, but she really is when it comes to the skating scene on this island.

So, you're in a good place. After all, it was Mags that built the foundation for all the success that Jenna went on to have. :agree: :biggrin:

Anyway, all the best for the coming season.

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
News of GB Men's Champion PJ Hallam, who has released details and a video clip of his new Short Program.

I still have never seen the film "Footloose", but LOVE the music, and suits him down to the ground! :cool:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByaZfIQnWRe/?igshid=ihsktvk9p7h3

it looks amazing! i've already watched the clip 2 times :biggrin: i'm totally in love with it (i hope he do a split somwhere :biggrin: kevin bacon do a split in the movie, right?)

Love footloose too! I’m a british figure skater (junior) who skates in Nottingham, and big fan of pj (skates hour away). Sam McAllister (senior Irish champion) is a mate of mine, and his mum is one of our coaches. He’s training triple axel and soon quad lutz again so hopefully Europeans soon!

My name is Daniel Kaye (not well known as junior who hasn’t made international debut) but I’ve applied for Irish citizenship so hopefully I’ll be Irish soon ����

hi Daniel, i wish you good luck and an amazing career, a spot on the big competitions and your own fan fest here on golden skate :biggrin:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Really looking forward to seeing the Footloose program - I love that music and it's on my phone!

Hi Daniel! :)
Good luck with getting the citizenship and skating to the top!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
WOW! :yahoo: How exciting to come back to the thread and see lots of fabulous posts! :hap57:

Daniel, welcome, :2thumbs: hope you will post regularly throughout the season, and keep us updated, though I am very sorry to see you stop representing GB. But all the best for your future. :)

Soooo excited to see Tash's new choreo for her FP. It's really beautiful, and she puts a lot of emotion into it, as always. Really hoping her 3Lutz will be ready for this season. :cool:

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Welcome and good luck. :)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Footloose is on my party mix (mainly 80’s). Such exciting music and considering pj’s talent he’ll be able to pull it off amazingly.

I can recommend 70s music too! :dance::yay::cool2:

Loving' our thread! :coffee::ghug:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I can recommend 70s music too! :dance::yay::cool2:

Loving' our thread! :coffee::ghug:

I have some late 70’s such as the Bee gees there too :).
Have a couple beetles (60’s) like let it be. Billy Joel is overall my fav tho like come on Eileen etc

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
seems like we got our own vintage boy on the forum :laugh: don't forget Blondie