2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Another update on assignments! Graham Newberry will be at Nepela along side Karly Robertson at Danielle Harrison.

I think we just need to see if Jones & Boyadji get and assignment and then I think that’s everyone on both Ireland and the UK’s senior teams with at least one. Except perhaps those that just turned senior.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just posted this about Elena Komova in the JGP Chelyabinsk Ladies SP thread, and thought I should copy it in here too:

Elena is looking very promising. She has great technique. OK, so she is not quite at the level of other Russian skaters who are representing different countries (e.g. Kurakova for Poland, who we saw finish 5[SUP]th[/SUP] overall last week). But unlike these skaters, Elena didn't come up through the Russian system. She has always been in the British system. And British Ice Skating does not have anywhere near the support that other Feds have. But she has raw talent, and a very good multiple British Champion coaching her. And what they have done together is amazing. Especially when you consider how young she is.

I think we have a real future star of British figure skating here.

:cheer: WELL DONE ELENA!!! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m excited to see her compete this season. Phil is an awesome coach. x

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Did anyone see Nina Povey's SP at Autumn Classic? I thought it was rather lovely. She skated to True colours!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I saw it! She stepped out her 2A but otherwise was good! It’s a shame the commentary didn’t feel like talking about her!

Lilah & Lewis, Natasha McKay and PJ Hallam all competed today. One at ACI and two at Lombardia.

I can’t quite remember what I am and am not allowed to say competition wise so until it’s all wrapped up I’ll say be excited! Also Natasha kept her SP from last season.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
You can discuss comps after each segment is over - so can talk about the RD now it's done.
Lilah and Lewis were sooo good! Blues Brothers RD, wearing SUITS :love:
Currently in fifth place, I think they got lowballed a bit tbh. But they had the second highest PCS so that's positive! Just need to work on their tech I guess

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I loved Lilah and Lewis's Blues Brothers RD. And the suits were fabulous. I've always been a bit of a die-hard "wear a skirt for dancing" person but might have changed my mind now. :cool:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
The second highest PCS made me really excited! I know how hard it is to gain the reputation to get that boost in Ice Dance so I know there is still a chance for magic to happen in the FD! The suits were really awesome 😎 Plus went he slid under her legs! A+ choreography again!

PJ 7th after to errors and skating last! He is really proving popular after going to worlds! Natasha was robbed a little in the PCS but she did make mistakes - it could’ve been worse.

I forgot to mention Harry Mattick was Skating too. Thankfully not after Hanyu this year. Unfortunately it was a tough one. He seemed a little low on energy and popped his 2A.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Lilah and Lewis took the Silver medal at ACI!! Moved from 5th in the RD to 2nd in the FD and 2nd over all - and again second highest PCS scores!! Mega happy for them, I really hope they can continue moving up through the ranks!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i still have to catch up with ACI, but the first thing i'll do will be watch F/G! in Lombardia PJ bewitched all of us, the energy of his Fottloose sp is so contagious! i loved every single moment of it, mistakes included:laugh:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Lilah and Lewis took the Silver medal at ACI!! Moved from 5th in the RD to 2nd in the FD and 2nd over all - and again second highest PCS scores!! Mega happy for them, I really hope they can continue moving up through the ranks!

I love love loved their FD and the fact they’re starting so high in the PCS already makes me so excited for Skate Canada! Ah~ I cannot wait! That rotational spin was divine!

Also I agree elektra PJ was so good. I can’t believe only last season PJ had never done a senior CS and now he is our most promising skater in men’s! His jumps are wild but it suits his energetic style.

Shout out to Nina Povey, Harry Mattick, Tweedale & Buckland and Natasha McKay as well!

Natasha was lovely at Lombardia but unfortunately made a few mistakes. I think on the PCS she was little underscored but there’s lots of room to grow. Her new FS is awesome and a totally new cool style for her.

Harry has a rough weekend unfortunately but I’m always hopeful to see him at his best. He kept his amazing Batman Joker FS from last season.

Nina’s Free was really good! She’s definitely improving and the Tango theme really suited her. I was very impressed!

I’ve not caught up with Tweedale & Buckland just yet but I will. Such a shame they’re not at the GP this season.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Just a few updates from this side of the Irish Sea.

Firstly, it was Jenna McCorkell's birthday yesterday. Her first as a mother!

:cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points: :hb:

To mark it, I have updated her Fan Fest to be in the latest format that I use (just be warned I have still the video list to go through. And no doubt there will be more deleting than adding :disapp: )

Secondly, our current top skater, Sam McAllister, will be in action again in just over a week's time at the Nebelhorn Trophy, where he will be joined in Senior Men by his team-mate from the South, Conor Stakelum.

Incidentally, Oberstdorf will also see a lot of British born skaters in the Ice Dance competition. Lilah Fear and Lewis Gibson will be representing Great Britain; Olivia Smart will be representing Spain with partner Adrián Díaz; and Jean-Luc Baker will be representing the USA with partner Kaitlin Hawayek.

And after the reports I have read above, I can't wait to see Lilah and Lewis! :biggrin:

DSQ has already mentioned who all is competing for Great Britain at this week's Ondrej Nepela Memorial. But, I would like to add in that another skater from a British club will be competing. The saviour of the Tayside Trophy, Aleksandra Golovkina, will be there representing her native Lithuania. This will be her first overseas competition since her comeback, so I hope she has a great time.

Getting back over to Ireland, and the OP has asked a few times over the past couple of years about Clara Peters. Well, on Saturday she did the Medieval Marathon in Kilkenny (I don't know why it is called that, because she clearly wasn't running in medieval dress!) Here is a photo of her with speed skater Ryan McAnuff, who did the 10km race:

https://www.facebook.com/iceskating...834037546146/2876771512352377/?type=3&theater

:bow:

All the best to all the British and Irish skaters, and Alika, who are competing over the next few weeks! :cheer:

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Nebelhorn is going to be awesome! Thanks for the info Caroliza!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I love love loved their FD and the fact they’re starting so high in the PCS already makes me so excited for Skate Canada! Ah~ I cannot wait! That rotational spin was divine!

Also I agree elektra PJ was so good. I can’t believe only last season PJ had never done a senior CS and now he is our most promising skater in men’s! His jumps are wild but it suits his energetic style.

Shout out to Nina Povey, Harry Mattick, Tweedale & Buckland and Natasha McKay as well!

Natasha was lovely at Lombardia but unfortunately made a few mistakes. I think on the PCS she was little underscored but there’s lots of room to grow. Her new FS is awesome and a totally new cool style for her.

Harry has a rough weekend unfortunately but I’m always hopeful to see him at his best. He kept his amazing Batman Joker FS from last season.

Nina’s Free was really good! She’s definitely improving and the Tango theme really suited her. I was very impressed!

I’ve not caught up with Tweedale & Buckland just yet but I will. Such a shame they’re not at the GP this season.

where was he before? :laugh: and you know what else is unbelivable? he doesn't have a fan fest yet

pesto

On the Ice
Really nice first outing for Lilah and Lewis... but I hope they aren't skating into a repeat of last year, when a relatively low-scoring RD repeatedly put them at a disadvantage heading into a dazzling free skate.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
where was he before? :laugh: and you know what else is unbelivable? he doesn't have a fan fest yet

He only did lower ranked international competitions before. Even though he’d been vice British champion for a while.

Really nice first outing for Lilah and Lewis... but I hope they aren't skating into a repeat of last year, when a relatively low-scoring RD repeatedly put them at a disadvantage heading into a dazzling free skate.

I have a feeling that’s what might happen. Unfortunately their relative “newness” to Ice Dance (or at least Lewis’s newness) mean this will probably be a disadvantage for them for a while. My hope is they perhaps go out to Christopher Deans rink and have an intensive training session. However I’m sure it’s something they’re working on.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Their RD placement of 5th wasn't necessarily an indication of a low score. The scores for places 2-5 were very close.

pesto

On the Ice
Their RD placement of 5th wasn't necessarily an indication of a low score. The scores for places 2-5 were very close.

Yeah, they were close, which is why they were able to overcome the difference with the free. But I'd much rather it was close, with them at the top of the bunch - I think it can make a huge difference when it comes to getting to skate in the last group, or not.

I'm sure they are aware of it, and working hard to improve. But it was the one frustration in their amazing breakout year last year, that they were always at the back of the chasing pack, with just a little too much work to do in the Free, which was such a global hit.