2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
My experience would also be that it is rare, and I don't know anyone with it. There is the golfer Justin Rose. But Wiki seems to think it is quite common - 69th most common UK surname!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_(surname)

As a middle name, it is quite common, I think, because it was a popular first name some time last century, and lots of girls have a middle name in memory of a grandmother, or other relative. My niece has it as a middle name for that reason.

Somewhat common, but not at all evenly distributed. In Kent or Lancashire, it doesn't even make the top 800.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
My experience would also be that it is rare, and I don't know anyone with it. There is the golfer Justin Rose. But Wiki seems to think it is quite common - 69th most common UK surname!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_(surname)

As a middle name, it is quite common, I think, because it was a popular first name some time last century, and lots of girls have a middle name in memory of a grandmother, or other relative. My niece has it as a middle name for that reason.

How could I have forgotten Justin Rose!

To be honest, the only person I could think of with the surname "Rose" was Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses. But I knew fine well that it was just a stage name. And he's American.

HOWEVER, I just looked him up, and discovered that his surname really is Rose! :shocked: It is just the "Axl" part that was made up.

William Bruce Rose Junior

The things you learn on a figure skating forum!

CaroLiza_fan

pesto

On the Ice
Well, whether it's a middle name or a surname, I hope Emily Rose is not suffering from demonic possession.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
To be honest, the only person I could think of with the surname "Rose" was Axl Rose from Guns N' Roses. But I knew fine well that it was just a stage name. And he's American.

HOWEVER, I just looked him up, and discovered that his surname really is Rose! :shocked: It is just the "Axl" part that was made up.

William Bruce Rose Junior

The things you learn on a figure skating forum!

CaroLiza_fan

There was also a mid-20th century British painter, Francis Rose. Gertrude Stein was a vigorous supporter of his works.

Here's his portrait of Cecil Beaton:

http://www.artnet.com/artists/sir-f...beaton-as-a-young-man-nrTUc191KLSN0RVnePr1pA2

MarjaKirkko

Spectator
Hi everyone! Nice to meet you all, I'm Marja! Used to skate in the IOW rink until it closed ;[

What were everyone's thoughts on the seniors today at the Qualifiers? Seems like the Dundee ladies did well for themselves :]

Still getting used to the rules and all, but I'm pretty sure this is allowed?...

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Hello and welcome!

I’m pretty sure that since the competition is over it’s allowed. Plus the mods seem to be less strict on national non American/Russian competitions as there’s less interest.

I wasn’t surprised to see the Dundee girls do well but I was surprised to see Karly in 3rd. I’ll have to look at the protocols.

Where was the IOW rink?

MarjaKirkko

Spectator
Hello and welcome!

I’m pretty sure that since the competition is over it’s allowed. Plus the mods seem to be less strict on national non American/Russian competitions as there’s less interest.

I wasn’t surprised to see the Dundee girls do well but I was surprised to see Karly in 3rd. I’ll have to look at the protocols.

Where was the IOW rink?

Oh good, haha ;]

Yes, that was very interesting! Was expecting her to remain 2nd, but the protocols were a very interesting read (perhaps even more so for the underrated/unknown skaters).

It was the Ryde, Isle of Wight rink! <3

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ve never been to the Isle of Wright! That’s a shame it’s closed.

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ve never been to the Isle of Wright! That’s a shame it’s closed.

I grew up on the Isle of Wight. It's wonderful. (I'm obviously not biased in any way, shape or form...) We moved to the mainland when I was 9 and I cried for days but then refused to move back at the age of 14 because there was no ice rink! Years later, my plan was to get my Gold Dance (this was late 90s) and then move back to live in Ryde and coach at the rink that had been built there. Never happened because I wrecked my right leg.

I gather there are plans for a new rink in Ryde, which look wonderful. Part of me still dreams of moving back there. It's a bit like Cornwall but with better weather and less granite.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Entries for Volvo Open Cup (40th):

Men
Graham Newberry

Ladies
Danielle Harrison
Nina Povey
Bethany Powell
Kathie Powell
Karly Robertson

Junior Men
Brandon Bailey
Shailesh Caller
Freddie Leggott
Joseph Zakipour

Junior Ladies
Rebecca Gillespie

Advanced Novice Boys
Luke Woodthorpe Smith

Advanced Novice Girls
Liri Gonen
Alexa Severn
Aoife Stevenson
:)
http://www.kristalice.lv/Results/Volvo40th/index.htm

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I grew up on the Isle of Wight. It's wonderful. (I'm obviously not biased in any way, shape or form...) We moved to the mainland when I was 9 and I cried for days but then refused to move back at the age of 14 because there was no ice rink! Years later, my plan was to get my Gold Dance (this was late 90s) and then move back to live in Ryde and coach at the rink that had been built there. Never happened because I wrecked my right leg.

I gather there are plans for a new rink in Ryde, which look wonderful. Part of me still dreams of moving back there. It's a bit like Cornwall but with better weather and less granite.

I’ve never been to Cornwall but I hope the plans for a new rink happen. We all know what happened in Richmond.

Quite a team heading to Latvia. Wishing them all luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I’ve never been to Cornwall but I hope the plans for a new rink happen. We all know what happened in Richmond.

Quite a team heading to Latvia. Wishing them all luck!

What happened in Richmond had already happened in Southampton, despite there being a covenant on the land stipulating that if the rink was pulled down to build housing, then a new rink had to be provided in the city. The rink was demolished in 1988. Still no rink.

And now we're anticipating the same situation in Plymouth. In theory, the site of the current rink cannot be redeveloped until a new rink is opened or at least started to be built. And despite tales of ground clearance at the site of the proposed rink, we're still not confident it will ever happen and fear that our current (woefully decrepit) will disappear anyway...

Come visit Cornwall. It's lovely.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Zoe Jones & Christopher Boyadji were named to fill the pairs vacancy at Skate America, created by the withdrawal of Zabiiako/Enbert. This will be Zoe’s third Grand Prix appearance, after 1998 Skate Canada and the 2017 Internationaux de France.

Jones & Boyadji will be competing in America tonight and the stream starts in two hours. Wishing them the best of luck!!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Aw man that sucks! This story make the tweet I glanced at earlier make more sense (https://twitter.com/johnwilsonblade/status/1187041999255457794?s=21)

Hopefully the original boots are found!

Off topic, has the site been crashing for anyone else?

Yes, all the time. Maybe 10 times or more per half hour. This afternoon I couldn't get in at all.

It is since they changed ad suppliers. My browser gets hung up on trying to load the ads. Sometimes a page looks OK, and I can scroll or read, but none of the links work. I think that's cause the ads are loaded last.

I've changed browsers, and so far so good with Safari.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
It’s odd because I’m on my phone and the phone version of the site doesn’t show ads. But yeah it’s super frustrating.