2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Happy 30th Birthday to Nick Buckland, former Junior & Senior British Ice Dance Champion, 3 x Olympian, European Bronze Medalist and Chris Dean skating double!

:hap10::rock::hap36::party::hb:

Hope we see more of he & Penny next season on our telly, whether it's analysing Worlds or anything else.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Happy 30th Birthday to Nick Buckland, former Junior & Senior British Ice Dance Champion, 3 x Olympian, European Bronze Medalist and Chris Dean skating double!

:hap10::rock::hap36::party::hb:

Hope we see more of he & Penny next season on our telly, whether it's analysing Worlds or anything else.

Penny and Nick were the best ice skaters to ever train properly in Nottingham. Happy birthday nick!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
"Ayr welcomes figure skating greats Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron" - The Scotsman

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/othe...lla-papadakis-and-guillaume-cizeron-1-4942667

Really good article by Jane Bradley about the recent Skate Camp and interviews with participating skaters, parents and Lewis Gibson on Funding & Choreography.

Does anyone have any info on Ele Silvester, who Lewis has choreo'd a Short Program for? Look forward to seeing her skate it! :)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Feel free to also discuss skaters who train in the UK in this thread, eg. Bulgarians Mina Zdravkova (who used to compete for GB) & Chris Davis, who train at Lee Valley in East London with Marika Humphreys-Baranova & Vitaliy Baranov. Chris has Bulgarian citizenship now, so hopefully they can compete at Beijing Olympics 2022, and if they get the TES minimum, Europeans this season, as they are Bulgarian No.1s. :)

Let's face it, I don't see this couple mentioned in the European Ice Dance thread or elsewhere, and they deserve some love! :ghug:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
For those interested in the past greats of British skating, do check out this YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/user/floskate/

floskate has all sorts of stuff from the 1980's, 1970's and even before, and as he is based in the U.K., many of his vids are of British skaters, and from British championships.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Enjoying reading the Ice Dundee June Newsletter, (which included my video of Natasha McKay FP from Worlds). :)

Here's a video update with Danielle Harrison, who is hopefully recovered from injury, and will have a great upcoming season. :hap10:

https://vimeo.com/339949556

There's a write up of Conor from Lee Valley earlier this year.

Irish Nationals for Conor Stakelum

It was a roller coaster national for Conor. Going into the event as 7 times Irish National Figure Skating Champion and placing higher in all international competitions than his rival Samuel McAllister, expectations were high. As sometimes happens in figure skating, mistakes can be very costly. In his Short Program Conor didn't have the best skate, scoring 47.38 points putting him in 2nd place, almost 10 points off 1st place. Conor came back strong and had a flawless Free Program scoring 101.66 points and placing him 1st. However, this was not quite enough and he ended the competition in 2nd place, only 2.47 points shy of the gold medal!
Well done Conor!!!

Lots of great photos in the newsletter too (some look rather familiar ;) ). If you want to sign up to receive it in your email, you can do so via their website. https://dctdigital.us19.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=b5191d257d128526ad3f9bc98&id=71e4e03248 Ice Dundee is currently the most successful rink in terms of British success, and had a grant awarded from Sport Scotland.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Torvill & Dean tastic!!

:luv17: Torvill & Dean have been on TV twice this week. :) Sadly, I don't have Sky Action channel so missed that appearance. If you do, I believe it's being repeated on Sunday & Wednesday. Photos Here

They were also interviewed by Alexandra Burke at the Queen's Ice Bowl for a programme called "Our Classical Century" on BBC4 and I've uploaded their 7 minute segment.

https://youtu.be/picSYdgXFkY

By the way, Alexandra looks a competent skater. Sign her up for DOI. :agree:

Composer Richard Hartley explains how he shortened and recorded Ravel's Bolero on synthesiser for their iconic 1984 Free Dance, and turned it into a Top Ten hit! It's a fun and fascinating piece. Enjoy! :coffee:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:luv17: Torvill & Dean have been on TV twice this week. :) Sadly, I don't have Sky Action channel so missed that appearance. If you do, I believe it's being repeated on Sunday & Wednesday. Photos Here

That programme is actually part of the "Great Sporting Moments" series, and is shown quite frequently by Sky across their various sports channels. The episodes are only short, so they are a handy schedule filler.

I caught the Bolero episode one time last year when it was shown on Sky Sports Mix, i.e. the teaser channel that is part of the main Entertainment package (They keep changing the name, so I am not sure what it is called nowadays. I still tend to call it by it's original name, the Sky Multi-Channels package).

And it is being shown on Sky Sports Mix again tomorrow night! :biggrin:

All the details of when it is being shown within the next week are below.

Hope this helps

CaroLiza_fan

Great Sporting Moments (All times BST)

Sunday 16[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2019
Sky Sports Mix 22:00 – 22:15 The Bolero

Wednesday 19[SUP]th[/SUP] June 2019
Sky Sports Arena 16:00 – 16:15 The Bolero

Saturday 22[SUP]nd[/SUP] June 2019
Sky Sports Action 07:15 – 07:30 The Bolero

Sky Sports Mix (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 520 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 109 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 819 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 26 (12.207V. MBaud 27,500. FEC 5/6).​

Sky Sports Mix HD is available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 510 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 139 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 121 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 34 (12.363V. MBaud 29,500. FEC 8/9).​

Sky Sports Arena (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 418 on Talk Talk TV
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 518 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 406 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 862 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 21 (12.110H. MBaud 27,500. FEC 5/6).​

Sky Sports Arena HD is available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 508 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 436 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 408 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 34 (11.856V. MBaud 29,500. FEC 8/9).​

Sky Sports Action (i.e. Standard Definition) is available via:

Digital terrestrial (UK only): Ch. 417 on Talk Talk TV
Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 517 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 403 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 861 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 21 (12.110H. MBaud 27,500. FEC 5/6).​

Sky Sports Action HD is available via:

Digital cable (UK only): Ch. 507 on Virgin Media
Digital cable (Ireland only): Ch. 433 on UPC Ireland
Digital satellite (Europe): Ch. 407 on SkyDigital
Astra 28.2E, Transponder 34 (11.856V. MBaud 29,500. FEC 8/9).​

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thanks CaroLiza_Fan, but I've only got Freeview. :( There was a great BBC TV series of short segments a few years ago called "Great Sporting Moments", and I managed to video record a few of those with British Skaters. FloSkate, who Doris linked to above, changed them to digital format for me, and I sent a copy to Streatham Ice Rink for Diane Towler-Green, of her winning her 4th World Championship with Bernard Ford. Her daughter Pippa said they'd never seen footage of her Mother skating at Worlds before, so that made me chuffed! :)