Great Sporting Moments (All times BST)

Sunday 16th June 2019
Sky Sports Mix 22:00 – 22:15 The Bolero

Wednesday 19th June 2019
Sky Sports Arena 16:00 – 16:15 The Bolero

Saturday 22nd June 2019
Sky Sports Action 07:15 – 07:30 The Bolero

Many Thanks for these listings CaroLiza_fan :thank:

I have posted them on Twitter for fans with a Sky Package, and someone has said they will record and upload. :agree:

I remember when I had a Sky Sports Subscription (a long time ago) they actually used to show some Skating!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
So very disappointed that Sheffield didn't get the 2022 Euros... fingers crossed they keep putting GB bids in because 10 years is an awfully long time without a single championship, especially given that we don't have a GP or Challenger event here.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Is there still any kind of competition that occurs annually in the U.K., other than Nationals?

There used to be St.Ivel/Skate Electric/Rotary Watches.

If there is, you have a basis to apply to be a Challenger Event (I would love to see it :love:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Is there still any kind of competition that occurs annually in the U.K., other than Nationals?

If there is, you have a basis to apply to be a Challenger Event (I would love to see it :love:

Oh yes. The most well known is the Skate Southern International, which is held twice a year (March and September) at the Lee Valley Ice Centre in Leyton, London. For the past few years the Irish National Championships have been held in conjunction with the March edition to make a week-long event (Irish Champs on the Monday and Tuesday, and Skate Southern for the rest of the week).

Autumn 2018 Skate Southern Entries / Results Page
2019 Irish Championships Entries / Results Page
Spring 2019 Skate Southern Entries / Results Page

The next best known is probably the Guildford Open, which is held at the Spectrum rink in Guildford, Surrey, at the end of May every year.

2019 Guildford Open Entries / Results Page

Those are the two best known competitions in England, but there are others, such as the Basingstoke Open in Hampshire; the Milton Keynes Ice Skating Club competition in Buckinghamshire; or the Bradford Open in Yorkshire.

The competition you mentioned was held at the Richmond Ice Rink in Twickenham, Middlesex. Unfortunately, it was demolished in the early 90's to make way for luxury appartments. (An old version of the page about the rink on the Twickenham Museum's website makes for very interesting reading).

The best known competition in Wales is the Deeside Open, which is held in Queensferry, Flintshire in October every year. The Deeside Open normally incorporates the Welsh Championships, but for a few years they were held separately. So for those years, the Welsh Champs took the October slot, and the Deeside Open was held in June.

2018 Deeside Open Entries / Results Page

The best known competition in Scotland is the Dundee Open, which is held in Camperdown, Angus every year. It is held in the summer, but the month varies greatly. The 2019 edition will have ISU Senior B status.

2018 Dundee Open Entries / Results Page

Again, there are other competitions held in Scotland, such as the Murrayfield Open in Midlothian; the Aberdeen Open in Aberdeenshire; or Skate Ayrshire (which has been held twice, but each time in different towns in the county).

And then you get to Northern Ireland. And we don't have any competitions. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Oh yes. The most well known is the Skate Southern International, which is held twice a year (March and September) at the Lee Valley Ice Centre in Leyton, London. For the past few years the Irish National Championships have been held in conjunction with the March edition to make a week-long event (Irish Champs on the Monday and Tuesday, and Skate Southern for the rest of the week).

Autumn 2018 Skate Southern Entries / Results Page
2019 Irish Championships Entries / Results Page
Spring 2019 Skate Southern Entries / Results Page

The next best known is probably the Guildford Open, which is held at the Spectrum rink in Guildford, Surrey, at the end of May every year.

2019 Guildford Open Entries / Results Page

Those are the two best known competitions in England, but there are others, such as the Basingstoke Open in Hampshire; the Milton Keynes Ice Skating Club competition in Buckinghamshire; or the Bradford Open in Yorkshire.

The competition you mentioned was held at the Richmond Ice Rink in Twickenham, Middlesex. Unfortunately, it was demolished in the early 90's to make way for luxury appartments. (An old version of the page about the rink on the Twickenham Museum's website makes for very interesting reading).

The best known competition in Wales is the Deeside Open, which is held in Queensferry, Flintshire in October every year. The Deeside Open normally incorporates the Welsh Championships, but for a few years they were held separately. So for those years, the Welsh Champs took the October slot, and the Deeside Open was held in June.

2018 Deeside Open Entries / Results Page

The best known competition in Scotland is the Dundee Open, which is held in Camperdown, Angus every year. It is held in the summer, but the month varies greatly. The 2019 edition will have ISU Senior B status.

2018 Dundee Open Entries / Results Page

Again, there are other competitions held in Scotland, such as the Murrayfield Open in Midlothian; the Aberdeen Open in Aberdeenshire; or Skate Ayrshire (which has been held twice, but each time in different towns in the county).

And then you get to Northern Ireland. And we don't have any competitions. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

There are also a tonne of others. Coventry does something annually. Also Milton Keynes etc. Also now the stupid qualifiers
I’ll be skating at lea valley open which is towards end of July as well.

Has it been confirmed that Sheffield didn’t get the 2022 Europeans?

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
There are also a tonne of others. Coventry does something annually. Also Milton Keynes etc. Also now the stupid qualifiers

Erm, I did mention Milton Keynes :p But, leaving out Coventry was a big mistake - it should have been included. :slink:

I had to only include a small selection of competitions in England, because there are so many rinks that hold open competitions. Which, when you think about it, is really good for a country where ice sports aren't mainstream. :agree:

Here, though... :rolleye:

I’ll be skating at lea valley open which is towards end of July as well.

Ah, I didn't realise that Lee Valley had other competitions as well as the Skate Southern Internationals. That's really good going for a rink to hold regular competitions throughout the year. There are many that can't even manage to hold one competition a year.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Has it been confirmed that Sheffield didn’t get the 2022 Europeans?

Unfortunately, yes. It was confirmed yesterday that 2022 Euros will be in Tallinn

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...-championships-2021-and-2022?templateParam=15

Oh, well. If they keep putting in the bids, they might be successful eventually.

All the best with your upcoming competitions!

CaroLiza_fan

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
Erm, I did mention Milton Keynes :p But, leaving out Coventry was a big mistake - it should have been included. :slink:

Ah, I didn't realise that Lee Valley had other competitions as well as the Skate Southern Internationals. That's really good going for a rink to hold regular competitions throughout the year. There are many that can't even manage to hold one competition a year.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

Unfortunately, yes. It was confirmed yesterday that 2022 Euros will be in Tallinn

https://www.isu.org/isu-news/news/1...-championships-2021-and-2022?templateParam=15

Oh, well. If they keep putting in the bids, they might be successful eventually.

All the best with your upcoming competitions!

CaroLiza_fan

That’s so sad :(.
Sorry didn’t notice you miss Milton Keynes.

I’m really annoyed my home rink, Nottingham, doesn’t hold annual competitions. It’s the best rink in the country yet doesn’t host annual competitions. The last year Robin Hood trophy was an amazing experience. + the fact the British used to be hosted here sometimes. I feel Sheffield has too big a monopoly on all the large competitions- and think the qualifiers should be shared through the different rinks but it is what it is :/

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

I’m really annoyed my home rink, Nottingham, doesn’t hold annual competitions. It’s the best rink in the country yet doesn’t host annual competitions. The last year Robin Hood trophy was an amazing experience. + the fact the British used to be hosted here sometimes. I feel Sheffield has too big a monopoly on all the large competitions- and think the qualifiers should be shared through the different rinks but it is what it is :/

Daniel, we're all singing from the same hymn sheet as you when it comes to Sheffield. If you have ever read through the 2018-19 British thread, you will see that it is a running complaint amongst us that NISA are stuck in a "Sheffield or Nottingham" mindset when applying for international events, and no-where else even gets considered. But, when it comes to domestic competitions, even Nottingham doesn't get a look in any more.

After the aforementioned Richmond rink ran into money problems, it became the norm that Nationals were held somewhere different every year. But Sheffield has hosted Nationals every year for the last 10 years - and 13 times in the last 16 years (Nottingham had it the other 3 years). When there are so many good rinks in the UK, that just isn't right.

And then you look at it in terms of the countries, it is even more striking:

• The British Championships have not been held in Scotland since 2003 (Neil Wilson won Senior Men and Jenna McCorkell won Senior Ladies)

• The British Championships have not been held in Northern Ireland since 2000 (Neil Wilson won Senior Men and Vicky Hutchinson won Junior Ladies)

• The British Championships have never been held in Wales

Come on. It's time for some variety.

(And not just because there has been a lack of Irish doubles in Sheffield - as far as I know, the only one was in 2008 when Jenna McCorkell won Senior Ladies and Karla Quinn won Junior Ladies).

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom

You’re preaching to the choir here. I just don’t understand why they’re so in love with Sheffield. I don’t mind competitions there sometimes but not all the time...

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom

Ah, the wonderful Autumn International we had at Richmond every year that was televised. So many great skaters came over to compete like Christopher Bowman, Liz Manley, Jill Trenary and all the Russian Ice Dancers. Sadly after the ISU introduced the GP series and Richmond rink closed down, our Association never managed to create an annual International competition again of the same stature. But we did host the John Curry Memorial Junior GP at Sheffield a few years ago, which I hoped would become an annual fixture, but no such luck, and disappointing crowds, as always at Sheffield. The British Championships held there every year nowadays, and British Ice Skating is now based there permanently having moved their Offices from Nottingham. I think until BIS make a bid for London, or possibly Birmingham, the ISU aren't interested. It's their obsession with Sheffield, now even more entrenched, that is proving unsuccessful. Though I'm wondering how big the audience will be when 4CC goes to Sydney in 2021?

Probably the biggest annual International event we have is Trophy D'Ecosse Synchro at all ISU levels at Dumfries rink in Scotland.

http://www.iceresultsuk.org.uk/TrophyD'Ecosse/2018/index.htm (The coming season's event FEB 07 - FEB 08, 2020)

The Junior Synchro Worlds will be held at NIC Nottingham next year, MAR 13 - MAR 15, 2020. A warm up event will be Britannia Cup, JAN 11 - JAN 12, 2020, but I gather one of the reasons the British Championships were no longer held there is because the wifi was really poor, so hopefully that's been sorted, and crucially the local hotel space. All essential for Synchro Worlds!!

Training footage of Dundee Ice women skaters yesterday. Jumps looking good.

https://twitter.com/s1briggs/status/1139985261448900608

Last edited:

Keith

Rinkside
I went to two of the junior grand prix at Sheffield, although the attendance was not great, the atmosphere was great, and I made friends that I am still In contact, but euro 2012 Was a different level, with huge attendance and very great crowd!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I went to two of the junior grand prix at Sheffield, although the attendance was not great, the atmosphere was great, and I made friends that I am still In contact, but euro 2012 Was a different level, with huge attendance and very great crowd!

Great to hear, Keith. :agree:

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

I also went in 2012 but don’t remember much.
I was very young and only had eyes for Evgeni Plushenko (because everybody constantly told me he was the best skater). I regret it now, however To be fair i was only 9 years old.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
You’re preaching to the choir here. I just don’t understand why they’re so in love with Sheffield. I don’t mind competitions there sometimes but not all the time...

I know! If they have the British there then there is no reason to have all three qualifiers and an open competition (or two!!) there. I get that BIS moved, but all the competitions were there in first place.

I saw a video of one of my coaches (when he was a skater) skating st the British nationals in 2004, and it was held at NIC - the crowd was much greater than modern British.

I’ve been to the British 3 times (two out of three were disaster skates as back then I didn’t have the same mental toughness or attitude to the sport) coming 3rd at one of them, and there were almost no people watching.

Last year (when I didn’t qualify - moved to junior) was better though as they had commentators and a much better livestream (didn’t have a livestream at all at one of them!). Hopefully they’ll start to have some cinematic video recording at least if they keep the British in the same place.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I know BIS offices are in Sheffield but still would be nice to have the british in other locations, or at least some qualifiers distributed.

Absolutely! As it always used to be. Or at least move the IJS in August to another venue. Why does it always have to be in Sheffield? It's the only other 'National' event held during the season.

If you compare the amount of publicity and local press articles that Dundee rink generates by having a group of successful British/Irish skaters training there, and the amount of interest/publicity that Sheffield generates DURING THE BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS, it's sadly lacking.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I also went in 2012 but don’t remember much.
I was very young and only had eyes for Evgeni Plushenko (because everybody constantly told me he was the best skater). I regret it now, however To be fair i was only 9 years old.

One of my biggest regrets was not going to Sheffield Euros. There were so many skaters competing there that I liked that have now retired. But, I didn't have the foresight to think of it like that. I just priced a few things out, and decided that it was going to work out too expensive. It didn't twig with me that it could be years until another opportunity as good as that would came along again.

Good to hear that you are a Plushenko fan. Me too! :biggrin:

But, way to make a guy feel old! I was 26! :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Was that Italian?! I'm such a dunce I thought it was Spanish. :laugh: Lovely music! :love:

it is :biggrin: it's a very typical 60s italian song about lost love and melancholy by a Peppino Gagliardi (i had to check it, never heard of him before:laugh:)

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
it is :biggrin: it's a very typical 60s italian song about lost love and melancholy by a Peppino Gagliardi (i had to check it, never heard of him before:laugh:)

Fantastic information! Thanks Elektra. :agree: And so befitting of Graham's melancholic face and look he has on the ice. I really hope he keeps it as Florent Amodio created a fabulous SP for him last season, then he went back to his old program of "Sounds of Silence". I'm loving the choreo Florent is doing with our British Skaters!! He has transformed Kristen Spours. :cool: