2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Now that Ash & Atl, GB Intermediate Novice Silver Medalists, have their own Instagram account, they've been uploading some old pics and video clips.

Love this from Dancing on Ice 2018, meeting eventual Champion Jake Quickenden:

"8? I couldn't even spell my own name at 8!" :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BywxlzKn2mw/

This was the rocking Ensemble routine which they took part in. :cool:

https://youtu.be/gFLS86NuvnU

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Fantastic information! Thanks Elektra. :agree: And so befitting of Graham's melancholic face and look he has on the ice. I really hope he keeps it as Florent Amodio created a fabulous SP for him last season, then he went back to his old program of "Sounds of Silence". I'm loving the choreo Florent is doing with our British Skaters!! He has transformed Kristen Spours. :cool:

i loved Florent as a skater and i'm loving now what is doing as choreographer (is he also a coach?). i hope he keeps working with Graham and the other kids

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
or Skate Ayrshire (which has been held twice, but each time in different towns in the county).

And then you get to Northern Ireland. And we don't have any competitions. :disapp:

CaroLiza_fan

The mention of Skate Ayrshire triggered my salivary glands. Unfortunately I am an American living in the U.S. and only have access to streaky bacon. I would love to go to a competition where all the prizes were really good bacon.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Is Ayrshire bacon a thing? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that! When ever I was in Ayr it was for the horse racing!

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
The mention of Skate Ayrshire triggered my salivary glands. Unfortunately I am an American living in the U.S. and only have access to streaky bacon. I would love to go to a competition where all the prizes were really good bacon.

You can get good back bacon all over the UK, Paul (or "rashers" as they're called in Ireland). But I didn't know it was a speciality in Ayrshire? I only buy British though, as Danish pigs (they are known for bacon too) are kept in horrendous conditions. :sad21:

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

Oh, that sounds like a dream come true! :love: Get me to that competition!!! :laugh:

Is Ayrshire bacon a thing? I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that! When ever I was in Ayr it was for the horse racing!

I had to look it up too, and apparently so.

Funnily enough, I am from a town whose main claim to fame is it's bacon factory (OK, so it makes all sorts of pork products, and sausages are it's most famous product, but it is referred to as "the bacon factory")

I was in Ayr once, but I was very young (something like 4 or 5) and so can't remember much. In fact, the only thing I can remember is that sometime after the crossing, I saw public toilets labelled "laddies" and "lassies".

You can get good back bacon all over the UK, Paul (or "rashers" as they're called in Ireland). But I didn't know it was a speciality in Ayrshire? I only buy British though, as Danish pigs (they are known for bacon too) are kept in horrendous conditions. :sad21:

I don't eat Danish bacon either, but that is more to do with availability - nearly all the meat products you get in Northern Ireland originate either here or Down South. But, thank you for letting us know about the conditions of the Danish pigs. I'll remember that for future.

Funny story: my Dad just cannot get it into his head that the packaging for bacon is colour coded (red for smoked, and blue for unsmoked). And he keeps landing home from the shopping with red packet bacon, when nobody in the house likes smoked bacon. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States

I was fortunate to have married an English girl who introduced me to English bacon and bacon sannies (sp?). Sadly she died two years ago so I don't have her to translate English into American for me anymore. I actually got my last Ayrshire bacon at Sav-On Foods in Victoria B.C. which is just a ferry ride away from where I live on the Olympic Peninsula. It (the Ayrshire bacon) looked like the best bacon in the store and tasted awfully good too.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Now that Ash & Atl, GB Intermediate Novice Silver Medalists, have their own Instagram account, they've been uploading some old pics and video clips.

Love this from Dancing on Ice 2018, meeting eventual Champion Jake Quickenden:

"8? I couldn't even spell my own name at 8!" :laugh:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BywxlzKn2mw/

This was the rocking Ensemble routine which they took part in. :cool:

https://youtu.be/gFLS86NuvnU

Ah, I remember them from watching the livestream of this year's British Championships. Yeah, they are good! :agree: :biggrin:

I know he was joking, but you can sympathise with Jake - he does have a long name. :p

i loved Florent as a skater and i'm loving now what is doing as choreographer (is he also a coach?). i hope he keeps working with Graham and the other kids

I was a big fan of Amodio too, although I am still not too sure about his habit of stripping at every possible opportunity. But, definitely, a very entertaining skater who would be brilliant in shows.

Anyway, I just did a search, and Florent is actually coaching too. For Luc Economides at least (according to his ISU Bio).

It's always good to see your favourite skaters who have now retired from competition staying in the sport and passing on their expertise.

CaroLiza_fan

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I was fortunate to have married an English girl who introduced me to English bacon and bacon sannies (sp?). Sadly she died two years ago so I don't have her to translate English into American for me anymore. I actually got my last Ayrshire bacon at Sav-On Foods in Victoria B.C. which is just a ferry ride away from where I live on the Olympic Peninsula. It (the Ayrshire bacon) looked like the best bacon in the store and tasted awfully good too.

My English relatives always called them sarnies (or butties) and here we call them sangers....

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
My English relatives always called them sarnies (or butties) and here we call them sangers....

For our non-English speaking friends who may be confused - all names for a sandwich. :)

PaulE - sorry for your loss. :(

I am going to try the Ayrshire bacon as soon as I can get my hands on it. Any dry cured British back bacon is always tasty, and like CaroLiza_Fan I prefer unsmoked. Occasionally I'll go for streaky. And always with a mug of tea. :coffee:

For lovers of Ice Dance, here's a beautifully romantic video of Marika & Vitaliy Baranov's Lee Valley in East London squad, including Bulgarian #1 team Mina Zdravkova/Chris Davis.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byz84vJHwgb/?igshid=cuv0csnc6izm :luv17:

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I am going to try the Ayrshire bacon as soon as I can get my hands on it. Any dry cured British back bacon is always tasty, and like CaroLiza_Fan I prefer unsmoked. Occasionally I'll go for streaky. And always with a mug of tea. :coffee:

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs... Unsmoked bacon - like goat's cheese - is morally wrong. <nan face> :noshake: Best we never mention pasties or the sacred cream tea... #jamfirst

PaulE

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs... Unsmoked bacon - like goat's cheese - is morally wrong. <nan face> :noshake: Best we never mention pasties or the sacred cream tea... #jamfirst

I apologize for having slightly derailed this thread. Ummm, cream tea. I remember listening to Terry Wogan on the radio during one of my first trips to England (probably about 40 years ago). I had already had the pleasure of a cream tea somewhere near Portsmouth so I had a good laugh at his comments which went something like: "Those stupid Americans—they think you put the cream in the tea. Don't they know that you put the cream on the scones and the jam in the tea?"

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
^
That guy sounds hilarious! Don’t worry about derailing the thread. We like doing that here.

Okay if I remember correctly only the top ten in Dance are seeded so with Wepo pulling out of the GP Lilah and Lewis moving to 12th on the list doesn’t move them into the seeded group?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
GP assignments posted, Lilah and Lewis got Skate Canada and NHK! No assignment for Joe and Robynne this year unfortunately but with all the new juniors I’m not surprised...

Nothing for anyone else unfortunately.

litenkyckling

Final Flight
GP assignments posted, Lilah and Lewis got Skate Canada and NHK! No assignment for Joe and Robynne this year unfortunately but with all the new juniors I’m not surprised...

Nothing for anyone else unfortunately.

I think that their best chance of a medal is SC - they might be able to leap frog H/B and H/K if either of those teams have a bad day and if Lilah and Lewis have more early season success with their RD than last year.... fingers crossed!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Definitely agree. I’d say they are level with the H/K and just need a little more momentum to get H/B.

NHK is gonna be difficult but you never know!

I’m heading to the French GP this year hopefully but if I had the money I’d have loved to go to Skate Canada or NHK. Unfortunately Hanyu is at both! He always attracts huge crowds which is great but makes hotels a hassle xD

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
British Grand Prix Assignments for 2019-20

Skate Canada Intl. Kelowna, B.C. - October 25-27, 2019
NHK Trophy, Sapporo, JPN - November 22-24, 2019

Lilah Fear & Lewis Gibson - Ice Dance

Details here: https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/events/grand-prix-of-figure-skating

Sadly no other Team GB entries. Not as exciting as last year with 2 disciplines, and 2 Dance couples. Not being a host nation really highlights the inequalities of this sport.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I understand why they have host spots but what I disagree with is being able to fill them with skaters not from your country. If you’re not able to fill a spot it should go to the next skater of the SB list.

None of this swapping skaters so that people who didn’t even make the cut at 4CC get to skate before skaters who made the cut at Worlds.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
I understand why they have host spots but what I disagree with is being able to fill them with skaters not from your country. If you’re not able to fill a spot it should go to the next skater of the SB list.

None of this swapping skaters so that people who didn’t even make the cut at 4CC get to skate before skaters who made the cut at Worlds.

Absolutely! When Penny & Nick were coming back after injury and weren't assigned a GP, to see a lowly ranked Czech couple of Carol Lane's go to Russia because they wouldn't finish above any of the Russian Dancers, and another I.D.E. couple were already going (P2) was an utter disgrace! That's when I started posting on GS again to vent about it! And fans in America, Canada etc tried to tell me, it's how the system works and how US Dancers are even more penalized as they have greater depth. The system needs changing for allocation somehow.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Charming interview with Gabriella Papadakis & Guillaume Cizeron filmed at their recent Skate Camps in Britain, with scenes from Ally Pally rink in North London. https://youtu.be/CJji4_RUMuk Spot yourself! :)