2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i'm happy for Fear/Gibson, i don't know if they can reach the podium, honestly for the bronze NHK looks better than SC, where canadian teams are favored and have more reputation. but i wish them a great gp!:pray:

litenkyckling

Final Flight
I still think it would be more fair on competitors and fans if the French GP was instead the Cup of Europe (or something) where the GP moved every year much like it moves from state to state in the US. I know it would be complicated with different feds therefore politics etc but one can dream!!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
Good to see a thread representing skating both in the North and in the Republic.

Just wondering if anyone has any information about the adult classes that take place in any of the pop up rinks in Dublin getting into winter time. I emailed the ISAI some time ago about this and got an "ask again towards the end of the summer" vague response. I don't want to be annoying anyone by asking too early/too often but also don't want to miss out as I've been advised that the adult classes fill up really quickly. This is definitely the year that I commit!

lyverbird1

Final Flight
ISAI is absolutely useless, outdated and unorganised. I’d recommend asking a coach.
Their response to my query didn't indeed spark much confidence. I have zero contacts within the sport so will have to find a different way of reaching out...

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Are there regular locations where pop up rinks could be located? Perhaps they will know about classes.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Tbh I wish PJ Hallam had been given a spot, given the fact he came 25th at worlds...

Me too but he actually is just under the new technical minimum for entry I think. My main hope for PJ is him being given a CS competition this season so he can get a proper ISU SB.

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
ISAI is absolutely useless, outdated and unorganised. I’d recommend asking a coach.

I'm really shocked to hear this as - as far as I know - it's run by a couple of guys who are firmly part of the skating scene, unless they just do the social media? But they come to London for the Irish Championships at Lee Valley, so I'm not sure of their actual role, but one's a skating photographer who is at many of the big ISU events and the other a writer/translator (Japanese). I'm sure people know who I'm talking about, and I thought they 'ran' ISAI in as much as it's a very small organization. Maybe they do it on an amateur basis? But Ireland does have an ISU accredited Judge now, he qualified a couple of season ago.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Their website has many dead links, until recently pdfs were not posted anywhere. They fail to include minimum TES scores for any of their national teams on their site, and they fail to respond to most contact. They are still on a different field move and elements system (so the tests are the same but you have to redo tests if you did them in another country). Overall they aren’t the best - which isn’t suprising given the lack of skaters.

Sad to hear that, and there's no excuse for not replying to people who contact, after all they should be trying to build the sport in Ireland.

La Rhumba

Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Love this, Anastasia Vaipan-Law's new Step Sequence for her SP to Malaguena.

https://www.instagram.com/p/By3PqKRAFaf/

She's always so expressive with high PCS, let's hope her jumps have more stability this season, as I presume she's moving up to Senior at 19?

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
woodkid this time! it's so impressive! he still has to work on that change combo spin, but the choreo looks already so great! if this is the end of the program it's great.

I’m totally clueless but what about the spin does he need to improve?

The choreo is awesome, he gets some nice leans in there.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I’m totally clueless but what about the spin does he need to improve?

The choreo is awesome, he gets some nice leans in there.

it looks to me he lose balace a couple of times, he almost missed his foot towards the end, nothing he can't correct with a little more practice and he will for sure. but i might be wrong :biggrin: clearly i'm not an expert

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
You’re more of an expert than I am!

——
Luke Digby re-injured his knee... :(

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I just love how we have such knowledgeable GS friends. I have never heard of some of these skater.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I'm really shocked to hear this as - as far as I know - it's run by a couple of guys who are firmly part of the skating scene, unless they just do the social media? But they come to London for the Irish Championships at Lee Valley, so I'm not sure of their actual role, but one's a skating photographer who is at many of the big ISU events and the other a writer/translator (Japanese). I'm sure people know who I'm talking about, and I thought they 'ran' ISAI in as much as it's a very small organization. Maybe they do it on an amateur basis? But Ireland does have an ISU accredited Judge now, he qualified a couple of season ago.

Not sure about the translator, but I know exactly who you are talking about for the "skating photographer". Yep, he does the social media stuff. I have seen lots of his photos over the years, and have been so envious of how good they are! I love taking photos (and hate having my photo taken), but I really struggle with taking photos of things that move fast. So, I am in awe of what he can do.

By the way, I have been trying to find out what he himself looks like for years, without any success. Because I went to school with a couple of people with the same surname (a brother and sister), and they looked so much like each other that it was scary. And I was dying to know if he looks the same! :laugh:

So, I just searched again and found his Twitter profile, and was disappointed to find that he doesn't look like them. :disapp: But, at least I now know who to look out for when watching competitions.

Sorry for the late reply, I've been away in Jersey for the past week. And although I was reading the forum while there (the appartment had a smart TV!), I was hesitant about signing into websites on a strange device and strange network.

Their website has many dead links, until recently pdfs were not posted anywhere.

What, they now do PDF's?! That is a big step forwards! :bow:

By the way, I was all excited when I found out that you could view the internet on the TV, because I was really annoyed when I realised the Senior GP allocations were being announced while I was away. So when the thread appeared, I was straight in and clicking the links. And that was when I discovered that the TV couldn't display PDF's!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Needless to say, I was straight into them this morning. Congratulations to Lilah and Lewis on getting 2 slots!!! :cheer: It's well deserved!!!

I still think it would be more fair on competitors and fans if the French GP was instead the Cup of Europe (or something) where the GP moved every year much like it moves from state to state in the US. I know it would be complicated with different feds therefore politics etc but one can dream!!

Still stand by my proposal for improving the GP Series - 8 GP's in total with 2 GP's in each of figure skating's big markets:

• North America (fixed as America and Canada)
  • Western Europe (2 rotating between France, Germany and Italy)
  • Eastern Europe (1 fixed as Russia and the other rotating between the likes of the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary)
  • Asia-Pacific (2 rotating between Japan, China and South Korea)

But, it'll never happen.

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ooooh. This sounds promising:

https://leevalleyicecentre.commonplace.is/

You can see the actual plan of the new building (albeit from a strange angle) on page 31 of the following PDF:

https://commonplace-customer-files....+Centre+Redevelopment+26.06.19_compressed.pdf

Pages 8 to 11 show how there would still be access to the ice (firstly on the existing rink, and then on the training rink of the new building) throughout the building process.

There is seating along one side of the main rink, but I couldn't find anywhere that said how many seats were being provided. But, hopefully it would be enough to make it eligible to host a Junior GP or a Senior B. Because this new facility looks like it would be perfect for competitions.

Maybe this facility could end the Nottingham / Sheffield hegemony and bring ISU competitions back to London after so long.

Anyway, there is a public consultation going on between now and the end of August. They are hoping to get planning approval in March 2020, building work started in the first quarter of 2021, and completed by the third quarter of 2023.

Let's hope it does get the go ahead, because the plans look great!

CaroLiza_fan