2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 British & Irish Figure Skating

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
the things you learn on GS :biggrin: i've always assumed God Save the Queen was the only British anthem

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
the things you learn on GS :biggrin: i've always assumed God Save the Queen was the only British anthem

God Save the Queen is mainly used when the United Kingdom is competing as one, e.g. team GB in the Olympics. If competing as separate countries (e.g. Commonwealth Games), they use their own. I personally don't like God Save the Queen; it's slow and boring and dreary. Now (maybe I'm biased), Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, that is an anthem that gets your spirit up!

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Our national anthem is pretty dire tbf. Especially when you compare it to a banger like the Italian one. What an anthem!

Flower of Scotland isn’t that bad (though my dad hates it) but still we definitely got the short end of the stick.

God Save the Queen is mainly used when the United Kingdom is competing as one, e.g. team GB in the Olympics. If competing as separate countries (e.g. Commonwealth Games), they use their own. I personally don't like God Save the Queen; it's slow and boring and dreary. Now (maybe I'm biased), Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau, that is an anthem that gets your spirit up!

Hallelujah! I was starting to think I was the only person who thought that "God Save The Queen" was dreary. Like, it says a lot that even Brian May couldn't bring a bit of life to it.

If I am totally honest, that was the reason I would like to see the British Championships use the separate anthems. Because with the way they hold the podium ceremonies back-to-back, it gets boring hearing that tune again and again and again.

As I said a few years ago in another thread, I like anthems that are jaunty (like the Italian or Brazilian anthems) and rousing (like the German or Russian anthems). And the British anthem is anything but.

The irony is that individual anthems of the countries on the island of Great Britain are ALL rousing. But, unfortunately, you don't get to hear them often.

And then you come to Northern Ireland, which uses a pub song... and a miserable one at that! :rolleye: :slink:

I know, GS is great for finding out things totally unrelated to figure skating! :agree: :biggrin:

Especially for you (yes, I sung that in my head while I was writing it) here are the anthems of the British Isles:

England - "Jerusalem"
Scotland - "Flower Of Scotland" (Given that I watched the match, I just had to use this video!)
Wales - "Old Land Of My Fathers" (English version / Welsh version)
Northern Ireland - "The Londonderry Air" (usually with the words of "Danny Boy")
Isle Of Man - "Arrane Ashoonagh Vannin" (English verses / Manx verses)
Guernsey - "Sarnia Cherie"
Jersey - "Ma Normandie"

Southern Ireland - "The Soldier's Song" (English version / Irish version)

By the way, today (5[SUP]th[/SUP] July) is the national day of the Isle Of Man, Tynwald Day.

It's a pity that I don't know of any Manx figure skaters, or I would link to a video of them. So, instead, I will tell you a story.

A satirical page about motorbike racing on Facebook that I regularly visit reckons that the Manx anthem sounds like this iconic piece:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXsWn9DhF5g

Having this as your national anthem would make anybody want to emigrate to Isla Nublar. ;) :biggrin: Even if the locals can be pretty dangerous... :eek:

CaroLiza_fan

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I know, GS is great for finding out things totally unrelated to figure skating! :agree: :biggrin:

Especially for you (yes, I sung that in my head while I was writing it) here are the anthems of the British Isles:

England - "Jerusalem"
Scotland - "Flower Of Scotland" (Given that I watched the match, I just had to use this video!)
Wales - "Old Land Of My Fathers" (English version / Welsh version)
Northern Ireland - "The Londonderry Air" (usually with the words of "Danny Boy")
Isle Of Man - "Arrane Ashoonagh Vannin" (English verses / Manx verses)
Guernsey - "Sarnia Cherie"
Jersey - "Ma Normandie"

Southern Ireland - "The Soldier's Song" (English version / Irish version)

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks! I often wondered but never took the time to find out.

So it's Jerusalem against Du gamla du fria in an hour :biggrin:

And when I'm here... this thread is really nice and informative :)

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Already posted this in their Fan Fest, but thought I should post it here too.

Just wanted to let you know that a series of updates was posted on the Team Jellie Facebook page today letting us know how Ellie and Josh are getting on.

Firstly, a post about Ellie's Synchro skating:

https://www.facebook.com/teamjellie/posts/2116121538688591

Secondly, a post about Josh and his current partner, Erin Gillies:

https://www.facebook.com/teamjellie/posts/2116122568688488

Finally, a post of some lovely photos of Ellie and Josh showing how close they still are:

https://www.facebook.com/teamjellie/posts/2116125248688220

Good to hear some updates about both of our favourite kids from Ice Stars. And even better that things are going so well for them.

CaroLiza_fan

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
I’m excited to see B&H this season!

I miss C&B so much but I understand why they took a step back.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
I am excited, but also quite nervous to see lilah & lewis' new programs.... their fd last year was SO good I just worry they won't have something to live up to it!

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I am excited, but also quite nervous to see lilah & lewis' new programs.... their fd last year was SO good I just worry they won't have something to live up to it!

I wondered that too, but I don't think it was just that one dance. Gilles and Poirier did disco a few years back, and it didn't have the same impact. I think they're just so energetic, bubbly, and obviously having the time of their lives that I can't help smiling when I watch them. Fear and Gibson are the essence of likeable! That doesn't depend on a single choice of dance.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
As per Lewis' instagram - Lilah and Lewis will be competing in Sheffield this week. Excited to find out what their music choices are this season!

The full list of competitors is here, it's so nice to see 6 junior teams competing too :)

Thanks for the link!

No Tweedale and Buckland or Natasha McKay unfortunately, hopefully we’ll see them in Stretham. I noticed last year some people showed their programs there rather than in Sheffield.

All three Brey siblings are competing, which is nice and Connor Brey is Junior! Perhaps he’ll get a JGP but if Luke recovers it’s unlikely.

Rei Yoshimoto has returned from competing for Japan and represents my rink! I wish her luck.

The most intriguing are our new senior Ice Dancers Jahrling and Russell. I like how their club is just “USA”. Hopefully some kind soul films the competition!

litenkyckling

Final Flight
Hopefully some kind soul films the competition!

fingers crossed!!

Are Emily-Lucine Phillips and Jayin Panesar going junior this year? I could have sworn I saw them posting about working on their first every RD but I might be wrong!

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Yeah, he seems to be very unlucky :/. The reason connor Bray didnt get jgp assignment is because he delayed his move to junior in order to win ad novice British, and thus missed out on being on the national rankings and therefore wasnt invited to the screening.

Very interesting I didn’t know that rule. Thank you!

Here is a clip of Lilah and Lewis’s new RD: https://twitter.com/anythinggoe/status/1154486740406738944?s=21

Looks like it’s Blues Brothers themed and they’re both in suits!

In fact check out the tweets from this account for more British skaters competing this week.

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Very very VERY here for them both wearing suits!! :love:
From what I could see considering the distance/vid quality it looks good!

Excited for the FD though I hope they don't have as many cuts in the music? With three in the SD and all the different songs they had in their disco FD last year, I'm not sure if it might get too much? Regardless, I love them and am excited for them this season!