Multi-national cultural expressions and idioms | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Multi-national cultural expressions and idioms

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Great thread!
Could someone identify the meaning of a gesture French pairs skater Morgan Cipres uses often where he crooks his arm at a right angle to his body, closes four fingers against his thumb to form a bird's beak and rubs his fingers together. .. it is usually done after a victory or a good performance.. an expression of deep satisfaction, I think, but I am guessing.. he does it here at 3:35..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6A2_sCgWJac

It's a meme:
https://www.dictionary.com/e/memes/salt-bae/

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
OK... I get it !! Thanks!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
And that is why, as non native english speakers, one should not jump to the conclusion that a particular phrase could me meant in a offensive way right away. As the poster said, google is your friend.

Better to google everything then. Since it isn't always obvious that a word/phrase is a popular expression.

Ulrica

On the Ice
Better to google everything then. Since it isn't always obvious that a word/phrase is a popular expression.

Now that's just going to extremes, by that logic then native english speakers (or non native english speakers, as I do use popular english expressions and american slang a lot, even though I have never lived outside of mexico) should not use any colloquialism/popular expression ever.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Maybe it's off topic. I want to ask the native speakers of English (American) language. Are metaphors and hyperboles used in colloquial speech to enhance the emotional power of speech? My question is related to the attacks on Daniel G after his interview. I can also recall a similar situation after the statement of TAT about Trusova`s 4Lz on the control skates a year ago. I wonder if our languages ​​are so different in terms of the overall structure? If something is not clear to me, I can ask here or there. But here I see how some people simply cannot understand it, insisting on a direct interpretation of what was said. Are such speech turns unfamiliar in other languages? In Russian colloquial this is very common, but it is never used in official documents. My English is very weak. Google translator is all for me :) Thank you if someone clarifies this to me.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Look, this forum is not exactly Eteri Fan Central. I think it's perfectly understandable that a non-native English speaker would make a knee-jerk assumption that "alligator" was an insult given how often other bad things about Eteri are said around here. Quite possibly, those same people would have thought to just Google it if it were said about, say, Yagudin or Orser or someone the forum at large is more favorable toward...

That being said, English has some wacky expressions. I think all languages have their fair share, but English seems to really take the cake (as far as I know), and least with regard to how flexibly they can be used as nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc. and not just proverbs.

Take the cake... hmm... Was the original cake a prize for something? Was someone a gradually escalating baked-goods thief who started off with a few cookies here and there and was finally caught and brought to justice after stealing someone's wedding cake right out of the wedding ceremony? Is "the cake" outdated slang for something and only "takes the cake" remains...? Was the original meaning something really vulgar, and we're all unknowingly using a euphemism for something that ought not be said in polite company?

...According to Google, "the cake" has been used to mean a symbolic prize since Ancient Greece. Good, no stolen wedding cakes or dirty euphemisms. :laugh:

Maybe it's off topic. I want to ask the native speakers of English (American) language. Are metaphors and hyperboles used in colloquial speech to enhance the emotional power of speech? My question is related to the attacks on Daniel G after his interview. I can also recall a similar situation after the statement of TAT about Trusova`s 4Lz on the control skates a year ago. I wonder if our languages ​​are so different in terms of the overall structure? If something is not clear to me, I can ask here or there. But here I see how some people simply cannot understand it, insisting on a direct interpretation of what was said. Are such speech turns unfamiliar in other languages? In Russian colloquial this is very common, but it is never used in official documents. My English is very weak. Google translator is all for me :) Thank you if someone clarifies this to me.

I think it's more cultural than grammatical. I'm a Russian-American native English speaker, and I definitely tone down the use of metaphors and hyperboles around non-Russians unless they use them a lot with me first. They work just fine grammatically, but they can cause some pretty messy misunderstandings for sure.

Alex65

Final Flight
Country
Russia
Thank you! Such an explanation is enough to understand the essence. In most cases, such statements are understandable in the context of the conversation.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Maybe just if you see something that isn't straightforward (I mean, 'alligator' might be an odd insult for a Russian, yes?) and you think might be insulting. Depending on the speaker's country, it might actually be both insulting and affectionate. Or fairly meaningless.

Absolutely. All languages have a massive and constantly shifting store of colloquialisms, metaphors, slang etc and it's so culturally based and deep-rooted that translating, even for experienced linguists, is pothole central. I've read that in English, at least, most people use a metaphor (blithely unaware much of the time that it even is one) every 12-15 words in ordinary speech alone, and Russian and other languages, if you ask linguists, are probably the same. And that isn't even deliberate slang/colloquialisms. Most of it won't cause problems (except for the poor souls in language classes) but when it does...

And thank you for also reminding us, it isn't at all only non-English speakers misunderstanding English casual speech; we on our side need to remember that often the non-native speakers have translated a colloquialism from their language and can't be expected to instinctively know that we won't get the culturally specific meaning.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Completely off: I wonder how ok is to use very culture specific expressions on a multinational forum, regardless of what they mean.

For example this: https://previews.123rf.com/images/o...gn-man-hand-isolated-on-white-background-.jpg
is a wish of good look, and a sign to protect oneself from evil eye in Brazil.
Does it mean I can post pictures of it in competition threads and so on, despite the official description of "mildly obscene"? I mean, my culture sees it as positive, and they even sell fig sign charms <3

Id say this should be open to debate - some things are culture specific and may be seen as rude by other people.

i'm very familiar with that sign because...it's actually of Roman origin :biggrin: brazilians probably inherited from the portuguese who took it from the Romans and it depicts...exactly what you think :biggrin: (male genitalia had a huuuge importance in ancient roman world as protection from bad luck, evil spirits and evil eyes, or as a charm to ensure fertility or wealth. it's well known, i'm sure many of you already know) nobody uses it in Italy anymore, but something related to all the fallus cult still exists, like touching your own family jewels (you know what i mean:laugh:) to avoid bad luck.

as for the sentence in question, it was quite clear to me that it wasn't and insult to Eteri, i mean it rhymes :biggrin: but reading a lot this forum i'm probably familiar with El henry way of speaking (and i know she is a very polite person, i never read anything rude from her even in very controversial discussions).
english of course it's not my first language, as my flag and my many unforgivable mispellings and errors can state, but i try to watch tv shows and movies in english every time a can, so maybe i'm more familiar than other users to the spoken language and slangs (to an extent)

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
english of course it's not my first language, as my flag and my many unforgivable mispellings and errors can state, but i try to watch tv shows and movies in english every time a can, so maybe i'm more familiar than other users to the spoken language and slangs (to an extent)

Hey, most non-native people on this forum impress me with their English. My own claim is that I speak four languages fluently. The fact that they are English, bureaucratese, academese and gobbledygook... is not important :biggrin:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I mean, 'alligator' might be an odd insult for a Russian, yes?

Actually, not specifically 'alligator', but afaik in russian calling someone a 'crocodile' means they are ugly, so that's not that odd of an insult :)
So, not to excuse the misunderstanding, but whoever made that report, I can sorta understand the way they might have misunderstood that comment from a russian speaking point of view, if they were russian.
But we don't know if those people were russian speaking though, maybe alligator means something worse in other languages. :confused2:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
First, may I just say that I am always super impressed by the English language skills of so many of you non-native speakers here on the forum - in a few cases I’ve been really surprised to find out that English is not your first language. Kudos! :)

As to misunderstandings....I’m someone who speaks several foreign languages with varying degrees of fluency, and if I am not sure of what someone means, I ask. I always try to remember that even in countries that share a language - say English in the US, Canada, and Australia, or Spanish in Spain and much of Latin America - the cultural context is different and words and phrases have different meaning. If you ask, you learn something and avoid misunderstandings. Native speakers will not always realize that something isn’t clear to you, and no one thinks less of you for asking.

That's interesting. I've been to many school fundraisers and community festivals in which a cakewalk is just part of the fun.

When I was a boy those church fund-raisers and community carnivals always had a "Cake Walk," which meant not a dancing contest but a game like musical chairs where if you landed on the lucky number you won a cake. It was a very popular and profitable game. Popular with the customers because for 25 cents to play you might win a whole cake. And profitable for the organization because the cakes were donated by the church ladies and so it cost the organization nothing to give them away.

About the phrase "That takes the Cake!", here in Detroit old-timers sometimes say (same meaning) "Well, ain't that a Hattie McDaniell?!" This refers to the famous character actress form the 1930s (Gone With the Wind), but I never met anyone who could tell me exactly what was so "Well, ain't that somethin'!) about McDaniell.

Sometimes, I think Wikipedia has just gone off its rocker.

But you can't say that nowadays. Ageism.

I believe that "alligator" was once a slang term for a hot (or cool) jazz musician -- before they became "cats" in the 1940s. I don't know if this had anything to do with the 1950s song "See you later, Alligator," though -- probably not.

moriel

Record Breaker
As for me, I overall try to avoid special expressions whenever possible, because it may create unnecessary commotion. Idiomatic expressions are no good in a culturally diverse environment.

We russians could say stuff like "trusova ate a dog on quads", for example. Just imagine the rumors that would be born from it :D

ice coverage

Record Breaker
When I think of Hattie McDaniel, I think of her superb eloquence and dignity as she accepted her Academy Award in 1940:

:bow: :luv17:

I first saw this footage in 2006, and it has remained a powerful memory for me.
Always makes me emotional. :sad4:

withwings

On the Ice
As for me, I overall try to avoid special expressions whenever possible, because it may create unnecessary commotion. Idiomatic expressions are no good in a culturally diverse environment.

We russians could say stuff like "trusova ate a dog on quads", for example. Just imagine the rumors that would be born from it :D

There would be no rumors at all.