Boot shape | Golden Skate

Boot shape

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Hello

I was wondering, in the same brand of skates, are the boots always cut exactly the same and only the stiffness change ?
Would a RisportRF3 boot be exactly the same as a Risport exclusive or Royal ?
And for the Edea (or any other brands), what would be the difference between a Concerto, Ice Fly and Piano other then the stifness ? Is the fit exactly the same ?

Many thanks :)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I can’t speak for Risports or Edeas, but I know that Jacksons vary in fit/last as you move up the product line.

Stiffness can also factor into fit, as you may find that a stiffer boot has less give, and might not be as forgiving a fit as a softer boot across snug areas (eg the ball of the foot, or the ankle bones).

For these reasons I think it’s always prudent to try boots on before buying them.

Another word of advice re: Edeas - they get brought up a lot on the forums, as they’re very popular due to how many elite skaters use them, but if you haven’t tried them on before, be prepared for the fact that most folks who have them say they fit quite differently than many other brands (much looser in the ankle seems to be the most frequent comment). Many folks really, really love them, but I think most will say that moving to Edeas from another brand is a pretty big adjustment.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
Thanks !

That is useful info. Not crazy about the Edea, had my daughter in Concerto for a few months but they hurt her (really bad) and we went back to Risport.... But she is destroying the Risports in record time so I was wondering if she should try the Ice Fly or the Piano but if they are all made the same, I guess it would not be worth it.... I am not a 'fan' of Edea, but it seems complicated here to find anything else but Risport and Edea in high end boots....

many thanks.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
If you're looking for a stiffer, traditional boot, try Jacksons. I'm also hard on my skates and Jacksons usually lasted me a couple of years when I was doing doubles and skating around 15 hours a week plus coaching. They're not what I'd call comfortable, but I skated in them for about 10 years and they seem to have better longevity than other boots. My Riedells are only good for about 6 months when jumping.

I tried the Ice Flys for about 2 weeks. Hated them.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
If you're seeking a traditional leather boot, in addition to the Jackson's already mentioned, I would suggest checking out Harlick's. They can be made with varying degrees of stiffness and support depending on skating level and desires.

Elija

On the Ice
Regarding Edeas, I would add that the different models do fit slightly differently. Have never tried concertos or pianos, but have had both chorus and ice fly and there is definitely a difference! While my ice flys are a narrower width than my chorus, i oddly feel like I have a lot more room in the toes (not length, just that my toes can move up and down more, and I never had to get the front stretched like I did with my chorus).

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
hello

i was wondering, in the same brand of skates, are the boots always cut exactly the same and only the stiffness change ?
Would a risportrf3 boot be exactly the same as a risport exclusive or royal ?
And for the edea (or any other brands), what would be the difference between a concerto, ice fly and piano other then the stifness ? Is the fit exactly the same ?

Many thanks :)

NO. All boots fit differently.

Skate tech needs to work with her and her foot specifics to determine what brand is best for her and what model boot. She may even need semi-customs or customs depending on her issues/wear.

Good luck!

Curlygirly81

On the Ice
An rf3 is cut very different from a royal... Personally I like the rf line.
Rf line is more traditional and has the ankle knotch cut out which I like and fits snug where as the royal feels more flexible almost like you can't tie it as tight as you would an rf. Royal feeling is kinda using the idea of edea in terms of ankle flexibility but not nearly as loose fitting.

You really won't know until you skate in both.

Mindoro1972

Rinkside
So, out of curiosity I asked Edea (for fun), i got an email back.... Apparently ALL the boots at Edea are made from the exact same mold.... Padding is different so they might feel different....
Also asked them how many pair of boots top skaters use per year and they told me usually one or 2....
I am surprise.
I dont get it.
anyway
thanks for all infos.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So, out of curiosity I asked Edea (for fun), i got an email back.... Apparently ALL the boots at Edea are made from the exact same mold.... Padding is different so they might feel different....
Also asked them how many pair of boots top skaters use per year and they told me usually one or 2....
I am surprise.
I dont get it.
anyway
thanks for all infos.

one or two is common with most brands TBH.

Elija

On the Ice
I am surprise.
I dont get it.
anyway
thanks for all infos.

That makes sense. As I mentioned above, my edeas feel slightly different, however the padding is very different when you feel both skates side by side so I can see that being the reason.

Sam L

Medalist
An rf3 is cut very different from a royal... Personally I like the rf line.
Rf line is more traditional and has the ankle knotch cut out which I like and fits snug where as the royal feels more flexible almost like you can't tie it as tight as you would an rf. Royal feeling is kinda using the idea of edea in terms of ankle flexibility but not nearly as loose fitting.

You really won't know until you skate in both.

Love the RF line and the boot profile fits my foot like a glove. Never tried Royal but its ankle does appeal to me.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I was an ice dancer and I went through a pair of SP-Teri SuperTeri Deluxe every year.

Elite ice dancer and singles skater now pro. In my competitive years I went through two pairs of freestyle boots and one pair of dance boots usually.

- - - Updated - - -

fun fact, Yuzuru Hanyu can go through up to 4 pairs of blades per year!

I'm not shocked, been there done that.