Feet hurt - is it my new boots or is it me? | Golden Skate

Feet hurt - is it my new boots or is it me?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
What exactly does it feel like when your new boots hurt?

I've had seven skating sessions, about 6.5 hours total on the ice, about 11 hours total wearing the skates. I take a LOT of breaks to sit down, the last two sessions I'm doing that less, and just standing at the wall and resting a foot at a time on the heel of the blade, but last night I did it more again.

I've never thought that the BOOTS were uncomfortable, except for the first time when I laced the instep too tight. I feel like they are exactly the right size.

The soles of my feet begin aching something fierce after 10 minutes or so. When that happens, I sit for a minute or take my weight off at the wall, and they stop hurting. They feel like I've been walking all day (like when I went to Europe and walked miles a day when I wasn't used to it). I've had plantar fascitis before, I don't have it right now but I feel like I'm about to get it again.

I did think it was just the boots at first, but now I wonder if it's me. I have flat feet. I pronate slightly, and have a small orthotic wedge in one boot to help with that. Otherwise, it's the insoles that came with the Jacksons.

I skated 12 hours ago, and my feet are still achy this morning. (That isn't usually the case). And since it might be relevant, I'm about 40 pounds overweight.

Advice is needed.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure if it's new boots or boots that don't fit properly. What your describing sounds like just the pain of breaking in new boots and sounds exactly like what happens to me when I get new boots, and it usually gets better after a couple of sessions and stops after about 8 - 10 hours of skating (that is skating at a fairly high level, including double jumps, so it might take longer depending on your level.) I am also a large skater (5'10'', 210lbs), so I'm pretty hard on my skates. I also have plantar fascitis and it's worse in the winter when I'm in skates all the time.

Options to try and help things along. Wear your skates around the house (guards on of course) with lots of knee bending. Try skating barefoot if you don't already. That helped me immensely. If you can feel pinching or a specific part of your foot is going numb, you might need to get your boots punched out. A tennis ball in the heel or toe can be used for this, but you can also go to a skate shop, especially if you need the ankle bone or toe punched out. Try tying them a little looser, still snug so your foot isn't sliding, but new skates usually don't need to be tied as tightly as ones that are broken in.

You also might just be in the wrong pair of skates. Just because they feel good in the store doesn't mean they will work on the ice. If you have a history of foot problems, it might be necessary to get custom or semi-custom skates.

I'd give it another week or so and if they're still causing you pain, talk to your coach or talk to your local skate shop about the problems your having.

Good Luck.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
To add, I already skate barefoot, and I don’t have any pinching or rubbing in the boot (except one tongue which was solved with a band aid).

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Have you tried inserts that provide more arch support than the standard issue Jackson insoles? The soles of my feet get sore if my arch isn’t well supported in the boot. Might not be the same problem but it could be worth a shot.

Like silver.blades said, it’s impossible for us to know the exact cause of your discomfort. I’ll echo the sentiment of discussing your issue with your coach and/or a reputable skate tech.

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
No, I’ve still got the Jackson insoles. Just wanted to know if this sounded like new boot pain or not before going back to the tech.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
No, I’ve still got the Jackson insoles. Just wanted to know if this sounded like new boot pain or not before going back to the tech.
Agree that no one can give you a definite answer over the net. I also have Jacksons and have flat feet. The stock Jackson insoles provide no support. You should definitely ask your tech about replacement footbeds with more support (I made my own).

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Agree that no one can give you a definite answer over the net. I also have Jacksons and have flat feet. The stock Jackson insoles provide no support. You should definitely ask your tech about replacement footbeds with more support (I made my own).

I’m very curious to know how you did this!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This sounds like a combo of breaking in boots, needing insoles that better work for you feet and possibly your plantar issues again.

None of us can really tell you. I'd talk to my medical pro and then a skate pro.

Good luck!

ETA: I will let you know that personally from experience my breaking in issues/pain has been at the ankles not soles/arches.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
I break in boots quite quickly. Personally for me Jackson’s were painful, then fine for a bit t then extremely painful. My feet were moving a tiny bit resulting in friction that caused blisters. Have you done heat moulding? Try blow drying as well. It might make a better fit. Also try skates at different looseness or tightness and see what feels the best. At the end of the day if you suck it up you will eventually get used to it, however you shouldn’t have to wait months for your feet to adapt to your boots. Try it for another week or two, then consider changing size/manufacturers- try a 3D scan to look for sizes. Which model of Jackson’s? What level are you skating at? Thanks, Daniel

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
I break in boots quite quickly. Personally for me Jackson’s were painful, then fine for a bit t then extremely painful. My feet were moving a tiny bit resulting in friction that caused blisters. Have you done heat moulding? Try blow drying as well. It might make a better fit. Also try skates at different looseness or tightness and see what feels the best. At the end of the day if you suck it up you will eventually get used to it, however you shouldn’t have to wait months for your feet to adapt to your boots. Try it for another week or two, then consider changing size/manufacturers- try a 3D scan to look for sizes. Which model of Jackson’s? What level are you skating at? Thanks, Daniel

Jackson debut fusion. I am at complete beginner levels- Basic 1-2, trying my best to progress. Meant to start group lessons by now, but just can’t do it while I have to take such frequent breaks.

They were heat molded in the shop and feel like they fit perfectly (I did break out the hair dryer the next day to help with my big toe of my bigger foot, no problems since).

Again (sorry, my previous post got deleted) I have no pain anywhere in the boot, just the sole of my foot. It’s not cramping, I know the difference.

2 days later and it does feel like my right foot is on the verge of plantar fasciitis....

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson debut fusion. I am at complete beginner levels- Basic 1-2, trying my best to progress. Meant to start group lessons by now, but just can’t do it while I have to take such frequent breaks.

They were heat molded in the shop and feel like they fit perfectly (I did break out the hair dryer the next day to help with my big toe of my bigger foot, no problems since).

Again (sorry, my previous post got deleted) I have no pain anywhere in the boot, just the sole of my foot. It’s not cramping, I know the difference.

2 days later and it does feel like my right foot is on the verge of plantar fasciitis....

You need to consult with your medical professional then and go from there. Skate tech would be next in line after that.

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight

That is worrying as debut are fairly weak boots and should not cause such pain. It may be you aren’t used to them, but it may be a problem with your foot. Try wearing them at home for a week for maybe 2-3hours per day 👍

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I’m very curious to know how you did this!
Given your issues with plantar fascitis, you should consult a podiatrist. It would not be wise for me to provide DIY instructions. By the way, should you need custom orthotics for your skating boots, you need to find a sports podiatrist with specific experience in fitting orthotics for skating boots. The design and construction materials of orthotics depend strongly on the activity: I have one pair for regular walking shoes, and a separate pair for running shoes. My podiatrist has no experience with figure skates, and I couldn't find one in my area who did; so I went the DIY route (but I'm an experienced tinkerer and also learned a lot about orthotics from my podiatrist and from an orthotic designer).

adultskater18

Rinkside
Bump - I am having a similar issue and I am not sure what to do! Still working with my skate shop on a regular basis, but haven't come up with a great solution.

Background: beginner adult, skating about 6 months, working on adult pre-bronze moves in the field, not exactly sure of my level (pretty basic). I have been in Jackson Artistes since the beginning, they are pretty beat up now and I need more support. Got new skates recently, Riedell 255 motion. I have very narrow ankles and calves so these were the only ones that fit. They were too tight but I got them stretched and they seem mostly okay. They feel fine when I put them on, don't feel too tight or anything, but after about 10-15 minutes of skating, I get awful burning, cramping, INTENSE pain in the bottom of my foot, around the arch and toward the heel. I tried arch supports (from Riedell), helped a little but not much. I don't think this is typical "breaking in new skates" pain. It is intense and radiates up my foot and ankle. I have to immediately stop and take my skates off when the pain starts because it is so bad. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I just can't tolerate it. I really have no clue what to do. I never had pain like this with my Jackson skates. I REALLY do not want to have to buy another pair of skates, but I'm not sure what to do. :(

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Adultskater18, this is not the same thing as the plantar fasciitis I am dealing with...PF is a sore, achy feeling, not cramping. I know the difference because I tied my laces too tight the first time and I got that cramping sensation. It’s a sign that your boots are too narrow. If loosening the laces over the instep doesn’t help and they are still too narrow after being punched out, they are the wrong size.

What width are your boots? Were you measured before ordering? Including the circumference of the ball of your foot and the circumference of your leg above the ankle?

MCsAngel2

On the Ice
Another sign they are too narrow is that you have to take them off to stop the cramping. I assume you don’t have pain after they’re off. With PF I don’t need to take the skates off, I just need to sit down, but there’s lingering achy ness for days (longer if you’ve torn your fascia).

I would have the skate shop punch the heck out of them again. Otherwise, with what you said about the insert, it may be that Riedells are the wrong shape for your foot.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Bump - I am having a similar issue and I am not sure what to do! Still working with my skate shop on a regular basis, but haven't come up with a great solution.

Background: beginner adult, skating about 6 months, working on adult pre-bronze moves in the field, not exactly sure of my level (pretty basic). I have been in Jackson Artistes since the beginning, they are pretty beat up now and I need more support. Got new skates recently, Riedell 255 motion. I have very narrow ankles and calves so these were the only ones that fit. They were too tight but I got them stretched and they seem mostly okay. They feel fine when I put them on, don't feel too tight or anything, but after about 10-15 minutes of skating, I get awful burning, cramping, INTENSE pain in the bottom of my foot, around the arch and toward the heel. I tried arch supports (from Riedell), helped a little but not much. I don't think this is typical "breaking in new skates" pain. It is intense and radiates up my foot and ankle. I have to immediately stop and take my skates off when the pain starts because it is so bad. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but I just can't tolerate it. I really have no clue what to do. I never had pain like this with my Jackson skates. I REALLY do not want to have to buy another pair of skates, but I'm not sure what to do. :(

You'd get more help if you started your own thread. :)

loveohio

Rinkside
Last year when my DD got new boots she also had discomfort on the bottom of her feet. The boots, under the flimsey and useless insole, were some kind of plastic but with leather soles, to make them lighter, whereas previous ones had been all leather. We replaced the stock insoles with Superfeet yellow hockey comfort insoles, and they solved her problems. If you like your boots otherwise, perhaps try an aftermarket insole designed for skates. Riedell and Edea make them, in addition to two models by Superfeet.