Interview with Serafima Sakhanovich | Golden Skate

Interview with Serafima Sakhanovich

moriel

Record Breaker
original: https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...henko-skolko-zarabatyvayut-figuristy-1553511/
translation: me

- Serafima, you are just back from Turkey. How was your vacation there? "All inclusive" is a little associated with certain degradation - "Tagil", all that. [Note: there is a certain association about poor and not very educated people going to "all inclusive" hotels]

- I had a good rest. I always go there with my mother, I like it, because I don’t need to think about what to cook, I don't need to make extra effort, everything is included, yes. Sea, pool nearby. For my activities, this is the perfect vacation!

Degradation? I have have entirely different feeling. I almost never use the Internet there, maybe half an hour a day, and communicate with people. I am not an open person, an introvert, and I rarely do it at home. And there... This is kind of a syndrome. You can tell people everything because you won't see them anymore. And they are simpler, always inviting to hang out and go to parties.

- A figure skater can afford a cocktail off-season?

- Probably. No one strictly forbids it. But I do not like alcohol, I do not drink. Although this time my mother and I went to a club, and I danced there for 4 hours without a break. Didn't drink a single drop. And nothing happened, everything is fine, I was a huge success, people watched and clapped.

- Well, with your choreography.

- Yes. (laughs)

- Since training and camps have now started, what kind of music will you be dancing to on the ice? The short program is known - "Megapolis", but the free?

- "Cherbourg Umbrellas". At first I didn’t really want to, but Angelina Nikolaevna said she clearly sees me in this program. I trusted her. In general, I love my coach, so I agreed. She cut the music herself, it turned out great.

- Will you increase difficulty? The trend of the season, apparently, are quads. You had plans for a quad Salchow. Does it work?

- Not really plans, I'm trying, working. I am not afraid, which is very important. That is, I can jump it at least 20 times per workout. So far there have been no clean attempts. I rotate it, but fall.

- Is it the merit of Trusova and juniors from Tutberidze team that everyone is learning quads?

- Of course, it is.

- If you watched the World Championship, what did you feel when Tursynbayeva landed her quad? Was there a feeling that this is a historical moment?

- Maybe it's bad, maybe it's good, but I didn't feel anything. That is, I am very happy for her, she did great. But she did it and thats it.

- Did you expect such a return from Evgenia Medvedeva?

- I waited for this moment all season, waited for such a performance! Because I believed in Zhenka [note: diminutive for Zhenya]. And I continue to believe that everything will be fine. We saw each other before the final of the Russian Cup, when she was preparing in St. Petersburg. She really became different. She began to think differently, in a more mature way, freer in emotions. Before that, she was tense. As at war, you know. In general, I notice that many skaters are now becoming more relaxed in communication.

- Is it really such an influence of Canada after leaving Eteri Tutberidze?

- It seems to me that in this case the opposite happened. Zhenya changed and left after that. I, too, have changed with Angelina Nikolaevna, in fact. But I am not planning to leave! (laughs)

- Based on calculations, you will participate in the Grand Prix in the upcoming season. Mentally prepared?

- I'm still getting ready just for the next season. If they give me a Grand Prix event, it will be great. Another great chance to show myself.

- Do not you think the selection at the Grand Prix is ​​somehow unclear? There are many criteria, and even now you do not know whether you will be invited.

- Like any rule, it is correct. But what about intrigue? Without it it's no fun! Let's also remove the jumps and spins from the programs and even do three competitions per season. This is a sport, nothing should be on the surface.

- There is crazy competition among ladies. The awareness there are so many ladies affects you?

- I am in a dome with my coach, I do not think about it. Such thoughts really interfere, you just put too much pressure on yourself.

- But still, how does it feel to realize that, with a result of 203 points, you are not even close to the national team?

- This is my problem, not others, and the point is not in competition. I myself got only 203 points. In Tallinn, I skated far from perfect. I have to work on myself, and not think about competition. If you think about it, you can end up very far from the top.

- You already had such experience, did these thoughts interfere in the past?

- Not. Those seasons that I failed were not particularly competitive.

- Which makes it even more sad for you.

- We should not look back. I see no reason to be upset about what happened, I will not change it. You can only prevent it in the future.

- But you understand why it happened?

- Yes. I sometimes, in interviews of figure skaters, i read “it didn’t work, I don’t know why, we are figuring it out”. For me it is strange. I always know why.
When you skate with a coach such as Eteri Tutberidze, all attention is on you, you are at the top. And then you feel ashamed for every mistake with your next coach. You fell and it seems that this is the end. That it is my coach doing something wrong, since there are no such results as with Eteri Georgievna. I am the one to blame, but also my coach. Now I understand that it is not like this.

- How did reach this understanding?

- With the move to Evgeny Viktorovich [Note: Plushenko]. There, I trained with Yulia Lavrenchuk and Alexey Vasilevsky, and they didn’t scold me at all. They used my work ethics as an example for the younger and even the older boys. When I start to jump, nobody can stop me. I jump up mistakes, of course, I do it wrong in a hurry, and this also affects the muscle memory. And at the competitions all these “wonderful” jumps showed up.
They were able to send it in the right direction, stopped me. They gave me confidence, and we still keep in touch.

- Why you didn't keep working with them?

- They were fired. For what? It did not depend on us, unfortunately.
But still it was not easy in Moscow. I did not live in a rented apartment, but rented a room. This is just insane! I lived with the owner, a woman, thank God, not with some strange people, men. In general, it was ok. But when I washed my face, they screamed at me for every extra drop of water. It wouldn't be so bad if my mom did it, but a stranger... It becomes scary. And there is no one around, no parents. As a result, at some point I stopped thinking about figure skating, I was crushed by all this. Injury, inability to jump, apartment, coaches being fired... In fact, I quit for a month and a half.

- And how did you return?

- I remember well that day - March 8th. My mother was reading a forum forum and saw that Nastya [note: Gubanova] had left Angelina Nikolaevna. And I thought this is a sign, it is my chance. I have to continue, I can still do something in the sport.

- And in general, did you like Moscow as a St. Petersburg native, despite the shared apartment?
- In fact, in St. Petersburg, I had almost no friends, no support. That is, I had no one to go to the movies, and all that. It just looks like it makes no difference for a figure skater. But these emotions are very helpful. And when I moved to Moscow for the second time, Evgeny Viktorovich had a very cool group, such a team! All for one, as a family. Words can not convey it.
In St. Petersburg before Moscow, I was downtrodden. And when they treat you like rubbish, it's unpleasant. The group thought - well, her skate. As an extra bag. Perhaps some people treat others based on their achievements. Thank God, now there are no such people around me.
And then, in Moscow, they told me how hard working I am, how hard I work. But in essence, you believe in what you convinced yourself of, and that is what happens. When I thought about bad things, they happened. And then I was inspired by something good, and I keep carrying it in myself. Angelina Nikolaevna is very helpful in this, always gives tips. Together with Svetlana Korol, they did a lot for me.

- This feeling of, forgive me, "bag" - it lasted for a long time?

- Two and a half years. 2016, 2017 and the first part of the 2018th.

- You have worked with many great coaches. Let's try to describe each of them in one or two words. Evgeny Plushenko?

- Chief, boss. He did not coach directly, he gave ice time, coaches, a general scheme. All were afraid of him: "Oh, Evgeny Viktorovich came!" And everyone is trembling.

- Evgeny Rukavitsin?

- He tried to do a lot for me, but I could not trust him. Got to him after Eteri Georgievna and just did not trust him, it didn't work for me. It was purely my problem, the team tried to do everything for me, but it was like this.

- Eteri Tutberidze?

- (long pause) It is very difficult. She's so different. Everyone thinks she is evil, but she is not evil, she just sometimes is a little strict. But she motivates incredibly! You're just ready to go out and jump all the quads at once.

- And Sergey Dudakov?

- He, on the contrary, is very calm. He and Eteri Georgievna are as fire and water. And get along well. Yin and Yang, one can say. If she overdoes somewhere, he will always calm everybody down.

- Do you study at a sports university?

- It is an Olympic reserve school, and I study to be a coach.

- Was this question ever raised, study or sport? Polina Tsurskaya faced it, and she chose the first.

- I've never had it like this. Because my mother always supported me. She never said: "You are done, Sima, finish, go study, you need to earn money, you are a financial burden to me” ... She will give the last ruble for camps, so that I can skate.

- After Tallinn, didn’t you earn anything?

- Not a dime. On "Challengers", there is no prize money. I also do not get the team salary. My mother is paying my bills.

- But there must be some kind of salary, at least regional.

- None. Seriously. I have nothing.

- And this person is in the top 20 best results of the season. Your mother works on an ambulance, if I'm not mistaken [note: thats a not well paid job]. So how to live, then?

- Very hard. True.

- Don't you think that often, when they put a child in figure skating, parents fullfill their own ambitions rather than their child's?

- Parents always put children into sports, so that the child is healthy, so that the child is busy something. My mother put me there so I'd be fit and strong. And then it goes like this: if after the first or second grade there is zero progress, the outcome is clear. Therefore, my mother and I waited for a few years, if it did not work out - we would have searched for another sport, direction for development. But overall, I started very late, when I was 7 years old.

- In the women's skating we now have an insane generation full of stars. What is wrong with men?

- Of course, it is necessary to ask them. I can express the opinion of an outsider. First, it seems to me that men in other countries are now very strong, Chen, Hanyu, and we don’t have such people who are ready to reach up for the skies. Maybe there is no motivation. But it's about the boys themselves. That is, there is no such thing - insufficient funding or something like that. Because in any conditions you can show the result. In Egypt, of course, you will not become a world champion, but still. The issue is in their heads, because they are probably doing great in training, but at competitions... I struggled with it myself. I will not say that I overcame it, but I managed to manage it.

- Do you feel that you are at the peak?

- According to statistics - it turns out, yes. I have never received so much in international or Russian competitions. I could not dream of such a thing! I now feel just fine. Close to perfect harmony with the body and mind. Because people believe in me.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thank you Moriel for the translation.

Again, I do not know these skaters but I am finding their outlook, comments and perceptions very interesting.

One question: is water service in Moscow that expensive:eeking:

(And thank you for describing the difference in the vacations. For an American, a high end all-inclusive resort would be the height of luxury ;) )

zounger

Medalist

I think this is more like a specific family mentality rather than expensive water. I had once a colleague who was charging his devices at the office to save power and reduce his energy bills (crazy right). He was eaning 3000 pounds/month, more than enough to pay a 30-50 pound electricity bill. Imagine to share a flat with him and do the wrong move to charge your mobile at home.

luckyguy

Match Penalty

Again, I do not know these skaters but I am finding their outlook, comments and perceptions very interesting.

(And thank you for describing the difference in the vacations. For an American, a high end all-inclusive resort would be the height of luxury ;) )

The 5 star all inclusive resorts are mostly very good in Turkey. I was a few weeks ago in this resort & spa, and felt like in heaven there.

Georgya

On the Ice
I think this is more like a specific family mentality rather than expensive water. I had once a colleague who was charging his devices at the office to save power and reduce his energy bills (crazy right). He was eaning 3000 pounds/month, more than enough to pay a 30-50 pound electricity bill. Imagine to share a flat with him and do the wrong move to charge your mobile at home.

I confirm this, it is more a flawed mentality. For instance in Romania is associated with old people and communism. In communism especially hot water was rationed, restricted for use from Tuesday - Thursday for 2 hours only 19-21 in the evening. Now some people behave like they are saving money if they don't shower daily but they smoke a pack of cigarettes/ a day. Also water is not terribly expensive here so I find this to be an aberration.

Attention! Not to be confused with not wasting water, a scarce and finite resource. This behaviour should be encouraged.

Serafima is such a wonderful girl. I wish her a world of happiness, she had a tough time/life comparing to other russian girls. Her achievements are more impressive because of that

Georgya

On the Ice
- Eteri Tutberidze?

- (long pause) It is very difficult. She's so different. Everyone thinks she is evil, but she is not evil, she just sometimes is a little strict. But she motivates incredibly! You're just ready to go out and jump all the quads at once.

I wish people would finally get this

zounger

Medalist
- Was this question ever raised, study or sport? Polina Tsurskaya faced it, and she chose the first.

- I've never had it like this. Because my mother always supported me. She never said: "You are done, Sima, finish, go study, you need to earn money, you are a financial burden to me” ... She will give the last ruble for camps, so that I can skate.

I didn't get this. Is she implying that the reason behind Polina's decision was financials? Because I didn't get that impression from Polina.

moriel

Record Breaker

Water and power are dirt cheap in russia compared to lets say Europe.
But then, i guess, its not entirely about mentality. Many people make very little money compared to europe and US. For example, in my hometown, 25-30k rubles is a decent salary and many people make less. That is 385-465 USD. Per month. So the "cheap" water becomes expensive relative to the family income.

Wages in Moscow are somewhat better, yes, but things tend to be more expensive also.

Specifically on Sima's case, her mother's job is not very well paid. Considering skating expenses and everything, Sima was likely renting something cheap, with a poor family, for whom saving on wanter bills was not really a matter of family mentality.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't get this. Is she implying that the reason behind Polina's decision was financials? Because I didn't get that impression from Polina.

I dont think she implies anything about Polina here, imho Polina was just brought by the interviewer as example.

moriel

Record Breaker
The 5 star all inclusive resorts are mostly very good in Turkey. I was a few weeks ago in this resort & spa, and felt like in heaven there.

On the "all inclusive" stuff.
In Russia, tours to Turkey, specifically "all inclusive" non 5 star resorts, are fairly cheap. So it ends up associated with people who cannot afford better, and/or are not interested in anything apart eating and sunbathing to go somewhere with museums and other cultural stuff, or see some nature and whatever else.

Of course, this is not the case for athletes vacations, because all inclusive sounds exactly what they need.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
What a great interview :agree: I've had a soft spot for Serafima since Skate America 2017 so it's great to hear she's in such a good place emotionally and feels supported, and I hope she'll have some good results this season.

Scott512

Record Breaker

Good God a girl should be able to wash her face without people yelling at her! ;)

Excellent interview. For an introvert Sima came across very well with very detailed answers.

What are the chances she gets a Grand Prix assignment next season? 50 / 50?

moriel

Record Breaker
Good God a girl should be able to wash her face without people yelling at her! ;)

Excellent interview. For an introvert Sima came across very well with very detailed answers.

What are the chances she gets a Grand Prix assignment next season? 50 / 50?

I wouldn't say the chances are good.
Rusfed makes their decisions mostly based on internal competitions, which means they may simply not submit her.

Overall, once they announce the teams, it will be more obvious about what to expect.

katymay

Medalist
Water and power are dirt cheap in russia compared to lets say Europe.
But then, i guess, its not entirely about mentality. Many people make very little money compared to europe and US. For example, in my hometown, 25-30k rubles is a decent salary and many people make less. That is 385-465 USD. Per month. So the "cheap" water becomes expensive relative to the family income.

Wages in Moscow are somewhat better, yes, but things tend to be more expensive also.

Specifically on Sima's case, her mother's job is not very well paid. Considering skating expenses and everything, Sima was likely renting something cheap, with a poor family, for whom saving on wanter bills was not really a matter of family mentality.

- - - Updated - - -

I dont think she implies anything about Polina here, imho Polina was just brought by the interviewer as example.

Thank you very much for the translation and especially expanding upon the translation. Seems to be a very honest Q and A-best of luck to her!

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
I really enjoyed that interview. I’ve always enjoyed Serafima’s skating, going right back to her skate at 2013 Nationals.

https://youtu.be/iBEWjH7AvDs

It’s hard to believe she has been round for so long. She is ranked 18 on SB’s this year (8th Russian Lady) would that not guarantee her 1 spot on the GP? I was so happy to see her skate in Tallinn where she broke the 200 mark. She has had a lot of ups and down in her career but hopefully things are in the up again. It must be tough to fund your skating when you are not on the Russian team.

I always though she might be better changing nationalities to secure international competitions. The involvement of Yagudin with Belarus skating made me think they might come looking. Either way I wish her the best of luck in the upcoming season.

energywithin22

Rinkside
I really enjoyed that interview. I’ve always enjoyed Serafima’s skating, going right back to her skate at 2013 Nationals.

It’s hard to believe she has been round for so long. She is ranked 18 on SB’s this year (8th Russian Lady) would that not guarantee her 1 spot on the GP? I was so happy to see her skate in Tallinn where she broke the 200 mark. She has had a lot of ups and down in her career but hopefully things are in the up again. It must be tough to fund your skating when you are not on the Russian team.

I always though she might be better changing nationalities to secure international competitions. The involvement of Yagudin with Belarus skating made me think they might come looking. Either way I wish her the best of luck in the upcoming season.

By the way, do you know what was the music (I think fs, the one in blue dress :p?) was she skating to in 2018/2019? I really liked it and didn't catch the title, tried to look for it but with no effect

EDIT: ok, nevermind! :D Listened to it now and now I recognise it's from "W.E." ost

Payako

Rinkside
Well..I wanted her to get GP spots.I know she deserves it🙁Maybe she can make it next time

katymay

Medalist

Agree. She has some mad jumping skills, reminds me of Kaitlyn Osmond. If only she could find another country to skate for-Kazakhstan,-or one of the other 'Stans' or BellaRusse? She would probably even be top three in the U.S. As it stands now, it appears she is shut out for next year. What a shame. Maybe the article will encourage other feds to 'invite' her to compete for them.