Choreo Sequence GOE | Golden Skate

Choreo Sequence GOE

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
ChSQ is not judged on levels of difficulty but only on the execution. To use ISU terminology - all ChSqs are assigned to be level 1 and they are judged only on GOE. In single/pairs skating scoring system GOEs are percentage of achieved levels, and in ice dance they are translated in points differently (by already written table which is translating given GOE in actual points/scores for every level separately). So, there is no levels there, but ISU is using Level 1 identification for all of them. And GOEs are translated in scores based only on a table of points, written differently for different disciplines.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
ChSQ is not judged on levels of difficulty but only on the execution. To use ISU terminology - all ChSqs are assigned to be level 1 and they are judged only on GOE. In single/pairs skating scoring system GOEs are percentage of achieved levels, and in ice dance they are translated in points differently (by already written table which is translating given GOE in actual points/scores for every level separately). So, there is no levels there, but ISU is using Level 1 identification for all of them. And GOEs are translated in scores based only on a table of points, written differently for different disciplines.

I think I understand. But it's just that it's so confusing compared to other elements - e.g. a 3S with BV 4,30 and with a GOE of +5 = +50% = +2,15, so the end score is 4,30+2,15=6,45.
That is not the case with the ChSq. The BV is 3,00 and the GOE adds more than max 50%.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I think I understand. But it's just that it's so confusing compared to other elements - e.g. a 3S with BV 4,30 and with a GOE of +5 = +50% = +2,15, so the end score is 4,30+2,15=6,45.
That is not the case with the ChSq. The BV is 3,00 and the GOE adds more than max 50%.

The rationale I remember seeing is that the ISU wanted to encourage skaters to focus on and develop the ChSq instead of treating it as a two-second throwaway, so when they revamped the SoV and GoE, they decided to increase its GOE above the 10% standard for the other elements - in other words, they increased the final amount of points you could earn by doing it well.

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker

Yeah, thats the case. And some may argue that you can get a lot of points on ChSQs. But for example in ice dance to get +5 GOE for choreo elements creativity is mandatory bullet for max GOE, which is not the case with other elements where effortlessness may replace creativity GOE bullet (you can get +5 easier on other elements than on choreo elements). It just planned out that many dance teams were creative and 'deserved' those high numbers. The similar story is in singles. ISU maybe didnt expected so big scores at the begining and will change it, or maybe it was a planned decision all along to make skaters and their programs more creative and distinctive from one another and thus make the whole competition more interesting to watch for the general public. Cause for the general public all the jumps look the same (except maybe axel jump), all spins look similar (except maybe Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova spins, or Lambiels in the past), so Choreo elements should make programs more interesting for those kind of audience. So, ISU decided to reward them more, and make skaters work more on them that way (like Harriet said).