2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I was kinda waiting for Hailey, but with the news of Soyoun's retirement :)sad21:) I thought it was time for a new Korean skating thread. Topics include:

Pairs & Ice Dance
- Will Kim Kyueun/Maxim Deschamps be able to represent Korea? Is he released from the Canadian fed? How is their partnership looking? Is KSU going to support them at all?
- Similarly, are Yura Min/Daniel Eaton coming? Is he released to represent Korea? Are they cleared with the KSU? Will this partnership work out?
- For what I know Jeon Jeongeun/Choi Sungmin, our only junior ID team, are still a team. Assuming that holds, how would they have developed? Will having a senior team help?

Men
- Does Junhwan have fitting boots?? (Seriously, he is currently the only male Korean skater who is internationally competitive, this is important)
- Is Kim Jinseo going to come back? Back injuries are chronic, will he be able/willing to compete again?
- The state of the 3As of: Lee Junehyeong, Lee Sihyeong, Park Sunghoon (junior)
- On Sihyeong: He is junior eligible for one last season, will he stay in juniors? If so, how is his wildly inconsistent 3A going to hold up for JGP qualifiers? Would it be enough to beat Cha Younghyun for the single JW spot?
- Younghyun is consistent and recently gained a 3F-3Lo, but he's missing a 3A. Will he get one this season? If he does, would it be consistent?
- Also eligible for juniors one last season: Kyeong Jaeseok and An Geonhyeong. Will they appear in JGP qualifiers?
- JGP qualifiers are going to be chaotic, we have 5 spots for men. Younghyun with his consistency is almost guaranteed to get 2 tickets, but the remaining 3 are up in the air. Also, is Kim Hangil still skating?

And now, the topic with the most items

Ladies
- Dabin is now the oldest in the ladies' team, how will she hold up? Has she regained her 3Lz-3T? Is she in competitive form? Will she get GP spots?
- What will Young's season look like? Will she go full senior or do half-and-half? Will she try her 3A again?
- How will Yelim fare as a full senior? Could she get more than 1 GP spot?
- Where would Hanul be among the senior team, now with the trio all senior eligible and Dabin a question mark?
- Junior ladies: 14 JGP spots available. Haein (Nats bronze) and Seoyoung (two JGP 4ths and 6ths at Nats) are almost certain to get two spots, if Young competes on the JGP she is guaranteed two. Then there's Jihun (with pretty solid JGP results) and newcomer Seoyeon (with a respectable 7th at Nats), if 5 skaters get 2 spots and 4 skaters get 1 (like before) those five will most likely be the top 5. But if Young goes full senior the 5th spot is up for grabs among the contenders for 1 spot. Among that list would be Jeon Subeen, Kim Boyoung, Lee Siwon, Kim Minseung, and Choi Hyunsoo.

Caustica

Final Flight
No questions about Eunsoo? I am certainly curious about her coaching situation given everything that happened. She's such a star and I really hope she does well.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
- Will Kim Kyueun/Maxim Deschamps be able to represent Korea? Is he released from the Canadian fed? How is their partnership looking? Is KSU going to support them at all?

Per a poster on FSU, he has a different partner now. (Per a quote on twitter by Kyeuen's mother). As of yet, the partner and country of said partner is apparently unknown.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Per a poster on FSU, he has a different partner now. (Per a quote on twitter by Kyeuen's mother). As of yet, the partner and country of said partner is apparently unknown.

(deep sigh) I'll have to take that as no representation for pairs again...

wanpe

On the Ice
I understand that it is often difficult to prove/disprove bullying. I dont know what really happened behind the scene but I support her decision! Good luck Eunsoo Lim!

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I understand that it is often difficult to prove/disprove bullying. I dont know what really happened behind the scene but I support her decision! Good luck Eunsoo Lim!

I agree, it appears the support she needed and anyone would deserve was really lacking...

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight
Off topic!!!
Can someone please explain why Yuna Kim choose to do one invalid combination in her World's FS in 2007? Thanks in advance.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Can we say Eunsoo Lim, Yelim KIM and Young YOU got very unlucky? they are at the 2 thoughest gps, but i'm glad Enusoo got 2 spots

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Can we say Eunsoo Lim, Yelim KIM and Young YOU got very unlucky? they are at the 2 thoughest gps, but i'm glad Enusoo got 2 spots

But I got very lucky because I am going to Skate Canada with both Yelim & Young:). I will cheer for them!

skatenewbie

Medalist
i kind of surprised Yelim didnt get 2 spot since usually everyone in top 24 SB got 2. Well she can be replace someone if they WD though

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
And from what I can see all of the ladies' fields are tungsten tough.

They are, but Skate Canada... :dbana: Call me selfish, but I wanted the trio to have separate GPs. And squirtle is facing both quads and 3As in her GPs, I will freak out if it makes her think she needs to start training one :sad14:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
oh, sad, very sad that they (= team Raf) were not able to solve this :(:disapp:It will lingers now...no good neither for team Raf or Ensoo..

Honestly, I'm not sure it was going to last regardless of the hoopla at Worlds. When Raf is invested in one of his skaters, he is really tough on them in the K&C after a below par performance. He wasn't there yet with Eunsoo (not surprising as the partnership was new). He didn't go to Korean Nationals with her. (It was right before U.S. Nationals, but Tom did go, which is worth applauding). And Raf wasn't at one of her practice sessions at 4CCs (no idea why, must have been doing something because he showed up later and was with her at one of her later ones). Just think maybe it wasn't really working out for either Eunsoo or Rafael, which is OK. I realize he's popular right now, and those skaters who stick with him--they really love him. But he's not the easiest personality for everyone to click with. She's also quite young compared to a lot of his athletes. It just may not have been the right fit.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Since the top three countries at Junior Worlds were Russia, USA, and Japan, I thought Korea only gets 7 spots for the JGP - one skater per event.

It could be so, my memory's faulty, sorry

Noxchild

Medalist
Country
Canada
Look forward to cheering on both Yelim and Young at Skate Canada! :p Will bring plenty of flowers for good luck.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Whatever she decides I support her. Hope she can improve her consistency and spins because her jumps are such a joy to watch.
What I didn't understand is her LP choice last season. To me it was really a dumb choice because it did not really suit her, not to mention the music cut was very similar to her teammate's program the season before.

According to TSL, Eunsoo Lim has split with Raf and is now back to her old coaches.