2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 34 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Can I say, as someone who works for a university, that I am delighted to hear that this young man is choosing to include figure skating as part of his college portfolio? I love it!

It's kinda because as an elite skater he has to go with a major that's related to sports (as he can't study as much as other non-elite athlete students), but still how nice of you to appreciate my tesoro's efforts :luv17:

bluefox

Spectator
Oh my bad i didnt realize that they couldnt do a triple in sp, but she hit it in the fp of course! She really showed she is on another level now, being nearly 14 points ahead of 2nd. She has really worked hard this season. Question: can she still be in the senior olympics even after participating in this competition?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Beijing is 2 years later, of course she can (if she gets through the qualifications ;))

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
Young was terrific today, the best of the crop by far. congratulations to her!

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Young You was the top of the bill today. A deserved win, it really was. In my review (another thread), I actually called it 'save the best for last' as she was the last skater. And what a treat it was!

Lzbee

Final Flight
Congratulations to Young You, she was fantastic! So glad to see her fulfil her potential this season.

saturdaysun

On the Ice
Young was incredible today. YOUTH OLYMPIC CHAMPION. :biggrin: You can already tell she's improved on PCS over the season and that triple axel is getting so much more consistent, especially in the free. Love to see it!

gotoschool

Medalist
Congratulations to Young You for winning the Youth Olympics in women's figure skating! She delivered such a fabulous free skate with what is some of the greatest and most daring rink coverage I have ever seen, performing so many high difficulty elements with full force and power right next to the boards often at opposite positions in the rink like her tremendous triple axel and the triple lutz / triple toe. Such smooth, fluid speed seemingly done with ease and few strokes in between, which is also seen in the fine flexibility of her illusion, Biellmann and I spin. She has wonderful quick whipsaw motion through her jumps with beautiful symmetrical air position full of power and minimal pre-rotation. She also has expressive and flowing arm motion.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I'm an idiot, so of course I forgot that the junior Nats medalists would've had higher placements in regards to standings than the mid-tier senior ladies. The official list for the National reserve team is out, it goes like this:

Ladies : Yun Ahsun, Mo Jiwon, Kim Minchae, Seo Heewon, Won Chaeeun, Lee Siwon, Song Siwoo, Kim Seoyoung (born April 25th), Moon Boin
Men: Park Sunghoon, Kim Hangil, Park Geonwoo

Aside from my stupid omission of the junior medalists, there's one thing: Hyunsoo (Lee) was higher on the standings than Boin, yet it's Boin who's selected. Maybe it's because Boin is 15 while Hyunsoo is 17, maybe Hyunsoo could have an injury (I hope not :pray:). Who knows.

Anyway, this means that Seoyeon is going to be the favourite for the JGP circuit next season with Yeonjeong right behind, assuming that the other top junior ladies move up (Jihun did half-and-half this season so she's definitely going up, Haein went to JGPF and was second in both the ranking comp and Nats so duh, and I suspect that my beloved Seoyoung will move up too if JW goes well). And then Ahsun and Jiwon are expected to be next in line, as the lutz is the required solo jump Jiwon shouldn't be too behind even if she still doesn't have a 3Lz-3T by qualifiers. She'll probably have the combo by then anyway :p As for Heewon and Siwoo (and for that matter, Jooha who won bronze too), I'll judge when they get their 7th levels and become eligible for the JGPs.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I wasn't able to go today :tantrum: so I'm reporting from clips on twitter, but Young's jumps including her 3A look steady and strong and my darling squirtle... excuse me while I cry a bit, CLEAN JUMPS THROUGHOUT AND HER LUTZ-TOE IS BACK (weeps)

As for the men: my other darling Junhwan is still rotating them quads and landed a beautiful 4S during his runthrough, Sihyeong fell on his 3A during his runthrough but other jumps were clean (and he did land his 3A during practice, a bit tilted but definitely landed), Junhyeong landed his 3A-2T during the runthrough but was his usual artistic mixed bag self

randomfan

Record Breaker
All I really hope for Eunsoo is that she can have a performance that she can be proud of. It doesn't necessarily have to be a clean skate, but just one that can make her smile again and wrap up the season on a positive note. It's heartbreaking to see her look so stressed all the time lately. Lots of people say this started happening ever since the incident last year, but I actually noticed it from the start of that season. She was very bright as a junior but I guess the transition into seniors (and suddenly training overseas) must've made it a difficult time for her...:sad21:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Squirtle was under huuuuge pressure last season, she had to get two spots back at Worlds. And then... well, Worlds happened. I just want to see her smile, during practice today she didn't smile even once... She's being too harsh on herself per usual, I can only hope that her jumps stay with her during competition and let her end her season with a smile