2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 37 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
will she be eligible for Beijing 2022?

No, she's too young. Besides, while Ahsun is a bright talent she's not going to be on the Olympic team even if we somehow get 3 spots, both the original trio and the 05 trio plus Yeonjeong will be in front of her.

Briananing

On the Ice
@Ichatdelune i m still confuse about how many competitions does KSU have for a season ? And why even Young You had to attend this as well ? I remember junhwan on olympic season also had to attend so many internal competitions when he was injured (if my brain didnt fail me) even last season, he cant peak during world because he had to fly back and forth to korea (besides his boots problem of course) but we could see that he looked so exhausted during World. So up until what level that korean skater doesnt need to do so many domestic competitions ? Because i m pretty sure even yuna had to do the same thing as well back then when she was the only korean that could compete on international level. Do they need to have an OGM first ? But then even during 2014, yuna had 2 domestic competitions in the short time before Sochi Olympic.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Oh boy, this is going to be long... To make it short, KSU is (bleep). Longer version, here goes.

1. KSU generally organizes five major competitions in a season. The Kyobo New Hopes Cup (mostly pre-novice to novice, some domestic level juniors), JGP qualifiers, the Ranking Competition, Nats, and the National Figure Skating Competition (explanation on this one: y'know how there's RusNats and the Russian Cup Final, and while both are of a national scale the latter is less prestigious with most of the big names missing? What I translate as "Nats", 종합선수권, is like RusNats while 종별선수권, the one I translate as "National Figure Skating Competition", is like the Russian Cup Final.) The Ranking Competition exists to a)decide 4CC entries and b) to be the additional criteria along with Nats for deciding the National team, both main and reserve. Additional competitions like YOG qualifiers will take place if needed, i.e. there's a major competition that needs entries.

2. The National Winter Sports Festival (the one that happened last week) is not organized by KSU but the KOC (Korean Olympic&Sports Commitee). It's not mandatory for international competition entries and whatnot, but it is technically the biggest domestic competition after Nats (they have prelims and all), to non-internationally competitive skaters it really is big. It also has merit in that it's the competition you can use for your college portfolio, my darling Junhwan did it last season for this reason. I don't know why Young did it (or any of the WC/JWC skaters tbh) this season, perhaps to cement her place as the current top lady.

3. Let us not talk about my darling during 2018 Olympic season, there wasn't a healthy bone in his body back then. And KSU had to have an extra qualifying competition for the Olympics on top of the ranking comp and Nats (all three were to be combined to decide the entries), even B.Orser was frustrated at the system but KSU was KSU.

4. Junhwan's domestic comps last season list goes like this:
- Winter Sports Festival Seoul prelims (FS only)
- Ranking Competition
- Nats
- Winter Sports Festival

He needed the Winter Sports Festival for his college portfolio (GPF doesn't count for college but WSF does), the ranking comp for 4CC, and Nats for WC and his spot on the national team.

5. There is no such thing as a bye with Korean figure skating. You want something, you compete for it. The Queen did both the ranking comp and Nats in 2014 to "get" the right to represent Korea at her last major international competition. So no, there isn't a level where you can escape all the domestic competitions. KSU doesn't care, they didn't care even with the Queen. They never will care.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Thank you Ichatdelune! I have always found the Korean domestic competitions very confusing!

Is there anywhere where the results are stored in English for them, in something other thsn pdf files?

I wish someone would start a Wikipedia entry for Korean domestic competitions!

Last edited:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Is there anywhere where the results are stored in English for them, in something other than pdf files?

Unfortunately no, KSU either can't be bothered or is too incompetent to do that. Probably both. As for Wikipedia entries, this exists: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Korean_Figure_Skating_Championships

No other pages for the ranking comp or the National Figure Skating Competition, but Hailey did compile results when she could on GS, and I think seabm7 also posted some compiled results too. And of course, if needed and the files are there I'm at your service

brakes

On the Ice
There is no such thing as a bye with Korean figure skating. You want something, you compete for it. The Queen did both the ranking comp and Nats in 2014 to "get" the right to represent Korea at her last major international competition. So no, there isn't a level where you can escape all the domestic competitions. KSU doesn't care, they didn't care even with the Queen. They never will care.
Wow. :eeking:

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
In a way I kinda respect the no bye system because it’s more fair and allows for surprises but it’s obvious that it three domestic competitions is just to much, especially for those that train overseas.

Briananing

On the Ice
@Ichatdelune wow thank you for the explanation. But still 3/4 domestic competitions in the spans of 2 months (?) is a bit too much. They should do it 1 for GP placement, one for 4cc, one for Worlds if they still want 3 domestic competitions for a season, not jampacking all of that between GPF and worlds, because it only make the skater too fatigued or exhausted for Worlds, especially when they already knew who would they pick anyway, just like the one for YOG, wasnt Young You made so many mistakes there (if i remember correctly), but she still got chosen for YOG instead of haein bcs she was the one who would got the highest score if she skated clean.

I used to think that all of these competitions were used for money laundering. Cause it just doesnt make any sense, to put your only eligible skater like yuna and jun competed in so many internal competitions. Korean figure skating talent pool isnt as deep as korean archery just yet, so there are no use for so many internal competitions just yet.

And why would a domestic competition is more important than GP for college portofolios ?? Are they mad ? I guess if it s russian ladies, i can still understand it, but for korean men?

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
@Ichatdelune wow thank you for the explanation. But still 3/4 domestic competitions in the spans of 2 months (?) is a bit too much. They should do it 1 for GP placement, one for 4cc, one for Worlds if they still want 3 domestic competitions for a season, not jampacking all of that between GPF and worlds, because it only make the skater too fatigued or exhausted for Worlds, especially when they already knew who would they pick anyway, just like the one for YOG, wasnt Young You made so many mistakes there (if i remember correctly), but she still got chosen for YOG instead of haein bcs she was the one who would got the highest score if she skated clean.

I used to think that all of these competitions were used for money laundering. Cause it just doesnt make any sense, to put your only eligible skater like yuna and jun competed in so many internal competitions. Korean figure skating talent pool isnt as deep as korean archery just yet, so there are no use for so many internal competitions just yet.

And why would a domestic competition is more important than GP for college portofolios ?? Are they mad ? I guess if it s russian ladies, i can still understand it, but for korean men?

Um, by "one for GP placement", you mean senior GPs? While KSU would love to do that :sarcasm: skaters need to be invited to their GPs (unless you're a very high profile skater e.g. Nathan Chen) so that's thankfully not going to happen, for JGP we do have JGP qualifiers (usually around late July to early August). Us fans have screamed at the KSU to merge rankings and Nats, KSU has steadfastly ignored us, now most have just given up. This includes myself.

Technically only the ranking comp and Nats are "required" for skaters to get international event tickets/national team spots/etc, the Winter Sports Festival can be skipped (squirtle skipped it last season, for example). KOC's not going to move WSF because a)it's a multi-sport event (figure skating, speed skating, short track, curling, skiing, etc) and they can't coordinate dates for all the respective sports and b)KOC is the larger branch and therefore have no reason to care about KSU-organized events. As for why WSF is more important than GPF for college portfolios, well, going to college is a massive thing here (like, if you don't go to college, it's supposedly because you're too poor or something's wrong with your life. This country is kinda nuts.) and educational policies are really, really complicated because of that. Long story short, international events aren't counted for portfolios because the Ministry of Education can't oversee the organization of those events. So my darling worried me out of my skin last season. (tremendous sigh)

Also, Young won the YOG qualifiers not because the judges picked her, but because Haein made mistakes too (she popped her lutz, for example). In fact Yelim won the FS at YOG qualifiers and my beloved Seoyoung was second, it was kinda crazy there. Besides, when both Young and Haein make mistakes it's fair that Young gets the higher PCS, I've seen them live and Young is slightly better PCS-wise overall. I'm not defending KSU, it's just that KSU is too stupid to politick. They make skaters compete all the time because they can't decide entries otherwise. I don't know whether to laugh or to cry when I say this...

Edit: Oh lord you did not compare the Korean Archery Association with KSU. The former is the most competent and fairly run sports organization of the country (our archery pool is deep because they have rigorous rules against corruption and politicking, it creates the good cycle of 'entries are picked via strict rules->the ones who truly do best go to major competitions->they get good results because only the best were picked->the pool grows deeper->internal competition becomes fiercer'), the latter is one of the, if not THE, most corrupt and incompetent organizations. KSU is cancerous, not only are they idiotic and inept but they'd probably do harm than good to our skaters. It took me five tries to not use censored words, sweet higher powers above

Last edited:

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Seoyeong Wi has a 3A in her planned content for her Free Skate at Junior Worlds. I did not know that she was working on a 3A :O
Was it a typo? The 3A is her planned 3rd jump after two combos on the sheet, seems random?!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Seoyeong Wi has a 3A in her planned content for her Free Skate at Junior Worlds. I did not know that she was working on a 3A :O
Was it a typo? The 3A is her planned 3rd jump after two combos on the sheet, seems random?!

It's definitely a typo, I know her layout by heart now and it's a 2A

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Sihyeong injured his ankle again at official practice :dbana: but he survived his SP, my personal saltiness about the scores aside he sits in 15th place now. Hope his ankle holds up (deep, deep sigh) and let him finish his last junior competition on a high :pray:

skatenewbie

Medalist
SUCH A SHAME ABOUT THAT FSSp on Seoyoung SP!!!! ugh. She's probably 3rd if she didn't botched it, but she did very well overall, same with Haein. Looking at 3 spot for next year JW!!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I lament over the spin as well, but all I really wanted was those three tickets and it's this close. My beloved Seoyoung kept her calm at her first JWC appearance (remember y'all that Haein the little phoenix popped an axel at her first JWC) and minus that spin did beautifully, and of course that little phoenix is still on fire. Very much proud of them :luv17: :luv17:

kmw227

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Haein's score should be much closer to Kamila's, the nearly 5 point gap between them makes no sense to me. :noshake:

Such a pity about Seoyeong's spin as well, because her jumps were as clean as I've ever seen them!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Seems like Haein mentioned in an interview after the SP that she wanted to score high to get better chances for senior spots next season and she was surprised she scored that high in the SP (I was not surprised ;) ) . Also she talked to her coach about 3As and Quads. Hope she is careful and stays healthy.