2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
So, y'all need to watch Jihun's senior version SP, it's lovely and she was clean (minus carrots, but well (sigh) that's only expected)

It seems the technical panel was really hard on her combo (unclear lutz edge and downgraded 3T). But the good thing about this is that Jihun could easily score in the mid to high 60s with a clean 3-3. ☺
All her other elements were great (as they usually are) and it seems the judges like her step sequence as much as I do (I only think they are always a bit stingy on her 2A).

TeeSaurus

Rinkside
Not the best results for Dabin and Jihun at Warsaw Cup today but I think there's something positive to say for each of them:
- Dabin attempted a 3-3, probably the first in competition since her SP at Worlds 2018
- I think Jihun got a new (international) personal best score; sooo many carrots though 😥

seabm7

Final Flight
The Mokdong ice rink is under renovation until the end of the year. They are replacing the ice maker and fence structure for short track competitions. Because of this, KSU had a hard time to find the venue for the ranking competition AND the Korean National.

KSU tried to reserve the Asan ice rink for the ranking competition, but it did not work out. Now KSU says

Ranking Competition

Gimhae Arts and Sports Center (GASC)
2060 Gimhae-daero, Nae-dong, Gimhae-si, Gyeongsangnam-do
61 x 30 m
464 seats,

and

Korean National

Uijeongbu City Government Office Indoor Ice Rink
136 Cheyuk-ro, Nogyang-dong, Uijeongbu-si, Gyeonggi-do
61 x 30 m
986 seats.

http://www.skating.or.kr/download/download.do?fileName=figure_201911181746452510.pdf&dir=game

skatenewbie

Medalist
What happen with Eunsoo? She looked a bit tired? Sad to see her looking gloomy in the FS. Hope she can do well in Nats and 4CC/Worlds if she get picked! The 2nd spot for Worlds is really open door with Yelim/Eunsoo having not so good season. Even i can see Hanul sneaking in the contention if both girls didn't do well and she's clean

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
What happen with Eunsoo? She looked a bit tired? Sad to see her looking gloomy in the FS. Hope she can do well in Nats and 4CC/Worlds if she get picked! The 2nd spot for Worlds is really open door with Yelim/Eunsoo having not so good season. Even i can see Hanul sneaking in the contention if both girls didn't do well and she's clean

My theory on that is that in the junior days she had a very specific jumping technique a bit Yuna Kim wannabe as many korean skaters (no shade there, it's just the same coach and they tried for a while to replicate that formula), then she changed to Rafael who was teaching her a different way of jumping which by his own words, takes 2-3 years to see the results, because of the Mariah Bell drama/accident she had to leave after only one season and now her old coach is kinda keeping things the way they were with Rafael.

The key jump here is the 3 lutz, which have been very inconsistent lately.

If you notice on her performances in juniors, it used to be one of her strongest triples, she used to set it with great speed, always on the outside edge, etc.

With Arutyunyan they changed the entrance, using the russian trick of switching inside to outside edge to gain momentum and that made her edge look less on the outside and more flat (sometimes even flutz), and judges noticed it too.

To me she had a very strong technique before, Rafael taught her another way, i don't know why he did, maybe he thinks it's better in the long run, but because she had to leave before, now she seems stuck in between and can't quite figure things out.

skatespin

On the Ice
I don't know what really happened to Eunsoo at world's 2019 (the Mariah Bell thing) and I don't understand why Eunsoo left Raf. I think if she had stayed with him for 2-3 years she could have more success under him. He has shown to be good at helping skaters maximize their personal potential in adulthood. He did well with Mariah, Ashley, Adam, Nathan, etc...

Eunsoo is such a lovely skater and has a lot of talent, I hate to see her not doing well and looking so sad. She needs to go back to Raf or to another coach who can help her, because her current situation is not working for her.

frida80

Record Breaker
I think she’s also burned out. She just went to Asian Open a few weeks ago, then SA a few weeks before that, then SO three weeks before that and finally AIC a few weeks for that. I’m glad she won Asian Open, but all these competitions and all the different countries probably wore her out.

In contrast, other skaters have only done three competitions by now. That’s a lot of traveling in the fall season.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
1, Eunsoo's 3lz-3T tech details was never the same as Yuna's (since junior), I would say a couple of the Japanese junior lady skaters have more similar lutz tech to Yuna's, just she got great height and distance in her lutz combo like Yuna, and the propaganda that every Korean junior skater is copying Yuna (which is not true)... Shake my head.
2, almost all lady skaters went to RA changed into weird-looking jump entry (for lutz, kinda ugly IMO, Nathan's lutz entry is different, Nathan already mastered all his triple before go to RA). is it the best tech or best tech to maintain jumps or suits everyone. Huge question mark.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Idk what's up with Eunsoo but she was looking much stronger last year than she does this year. Something is just off with her...

The lutz was her money jump and now she's struggling to get it off the ground...literally. Both of her mistakes at NHK had to do with the timing of the toe pick. If you slow it down and watch, she slips off the pick both times which prevented her from getting the height she needed and threw her off her axis. She just looks miserable out there...

Hopefully she can turn it around.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It's probably a lot of things, not technique or not just the technique
She's growing, which means problems with consistency as she's losing the timing of her jumps, as well as some mental things that come into play, once you're older
She changed her coaches again, she has to get used to different style of training
Maybe there's something else behind the scenes? we don't know.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
^^ seems, Eunsoo is having some Lutz toe-picking issue (timing or picking position relative to left foot), I noticed that at SA as well. Hope she can figure it out. Other than that, her other jumps seem is okay, in her Free, she kinda lost her confidence after the nasty fall on the opening combo and made multiple errors in following jumping passes, but this is mental strength issue.
ETA, besides lutz, she also kinda lost her ability in -3T, in her junior day, her -3T is super delayed and has extra height, even higher than first jump, which is a very nice feature of her -3T combo jump. but i kinda have a gut feeling that it may be difficult for her to maintain that kinda -3T

seabm7

Final Flight
Hmm...is not it from December 13-15,2019?

That's Act 1, aka Ranking Competition. Act 2 is January 3-5, 2020, aka National.

Korea National does not have a regional structure. Instead they run the competition two times a year, during the fall/winter. Ranking Competition determines 4CC tickets, while National determines SW/JW tickets. The simple sum of these two results will decide the National envelope right away.

gotoschool

Medalist
That's Act 1, aka Ranking Competition. Act 2 is January 3-5, 2020, aka National.

Korea National does not have a regional structure. Instead they run the competition two times a year, during the fall/winter. Ranking Competition determines 4CC tickets, while National determines SW/JW tickets. The simple sum of these two results will decide the National envelope right away.

Thank you, seabm, for the information. Can I get this straight, does this mean in order to qualify for Worlds, 4CC's, and Youth Olympics, a skater like Young You would have to skate at 3 different national competitions: qualifications for Youth Olympics which already happened, the first Nationals to qualify for the 4CC's on December 13, and then the final Nationals in early January to decide who is going to Worlds ? I am mentioning Young You because she is the only one I know of who has already competed against Juniors this season, Ha-ein Lee, to go to the Youth Olympics, but are Eunsoo Lim and Ha-ein Lee also competing at this many in effect national events? This seems like it could potentially cause fatigue and be too much of a burden for resting and preparing for more important international competitions. Why can't results in international competition and one nationals be used as the basis for placement to these international events especially among the top skaters? Besides, what will happen with Ha-ein Lee since the Junior Grand Prix Final is only a week before the first national event? In any case, I wish Ha-ein Lee skates great in the Junior Grand Prix Final. I also hope all the skaters have wonderful performances at Nationals.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Thank you, seabm, for the information. Can I get this straight, does this mean in order to qualify for Worlds, 4CC's, and Youth Olympics, a skater like Young You would have to skate at 3 different national competitions: qualifications for Youth Olympics which already happened, the first Nationals to qualify for the 4CC's on December 13, and then the final Nationals in early January to decide who is going to Worlds ? I am mentioning Young You because she is the only one I know of who has already competed against Juniors this season, Ha-ein Lee, to go to the Youth Olympics, but are Eunsoo Lim and Ha-ein Lee also competing at this many in effect national events? Excuse me for saying so, but this seems ridiculous and like it could cause fatigue and be too much of a burden for resting and preparing for more important international competitions. I have never understood why great results outside of nationals shouldn't be ta big part of the equation, or why one nationals and international results can't be used as a basis for deciding what skaters go especially a skater with the best results. Besides, what will happen with Ha-ein Lee since the Junior Grand Prix Final is only a week before the first national event?

so many questions... and very few answers :drama:

I hope Young, Yelim and Eunsoo will do well (despite the 2x nationals), this is an important season for all three

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Thank you, seabm, for the information. Can I get this straight, does this mean in order to qualify for Worlds, 4CC's, and Youth Olympics, a skater like Young You would have to skate at 3 different national competitions: qualifications for Youth Olympics which already happened, the first Nationals to qualify for the 4CC's on December 13, and then the final Nationals in early January to decide who is going to Worlds ? I am mentioning Young You because she is the only one I know of who has already competed against Juniors this season, Ha-ein Lee, to go to the Youth Olympics, but are Eunsoo Lim and Ha-ein Lee also competing at this many in effect national events? This seems like it could potentially cause fatigue and be too much of a burden for resting and preparing for more important international competitions. Why can't results in international competition and one nationals be used as the basis for placement to these international events especially among the top skaters? Besides, what will happen with Ha-ein Lee since the Junior Grand Prix Final is only a week before the first national event? In any case, I wish Ha-ein Lee skates great in the Junior Grand Prix Final. I also hope all the skaters have wonderful performances at Nationals.

Yep, that's how it is. Those national competitions are the reason that many Korean skaters are already burned out before 4CC and Worlds or are plagued by severe injuries. Korean Fed has not learned anything in the past 10 years despite seeing how awful their qualifying system is. Yuna was one of the skaters that got a severe injury from the constant national competitions she had to attend in order to qualify as a young skater.