2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Evita? Seriously? I mean, sure, diverse sides and all, but Young is a fierce, energetic, lively skater and her senior debut program should showcase that. Like, My Fair Lady is more livelier than Evita and even that wasn't the greatest fit... (deep sigh) Also, it's very likely that Dabin is keeping her SP, and I don't really want to listen to Don't Cry For Me Argentina over and over again...

Oh, I think it's not bad. It's pretty well cut. Pretty well set up. The first piece I've never cared for, but I've always loved Buenos Aires and Don't Cry For Me Argentina. The latter builds very well for an ending. At least they stick to only three pieces as the tendency with musicals is to overdue, and four is really too many, IMO. (The final piece feels a little crammed full of jumps, actually. Are there only 3 passes there? I'll have to rewatch). Of course the camera angle is too far to see how well she's expressing the music and at this point in the year we don't always get that anyway. But the body movement is good. I would say that my initial reaction was that the character seemed a little old for Young, but I think she may pull it off. Classic debut with some ups & downs here, but a very good start for this early in the season.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Am I the only one excited for Eunsoo's costume this season?

Absolutely not. She is without a doubt the most beautifully dressed (and one of the most beautiful) of the ladies, and after that exquisite dress last year... I think this year's will be something else. :bow:

I'm always excited for all of the South Korean ladies' costumes :luv17:

Agreed, and they also wear them so beautifully....

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
JGP qualifiers are taking place this weekend (KST, 7.27-28), sorry for the late post. So, for the number of spots: 10 spots for ladies (originally was 7, but withdrawals and stuff apparently left us 3 more), 5 spots for men, and 2 spots for ID. Since the only junior ID team in existence is Jeon/Choi they automatically get the two spots, so it's about the single skaters' tickets. The rules go:

For ladies: 1st-5th get two tickets each (originally was 1st-3rd get 2, 4th gets 1)
For men: 1st and 2nd get two tickets each, 3rd gets the last ticket.

And now the entries. Skipping ID, as mentioned Jeon/Choi are the only entries. Order is by starting number.

Men: Lee Sihyeong, Cha Younghyun, Park Sunghoon, Kyeong Jaeseok
Ladies: Jeon Subeen, Wi Seoyoung, Lee Siwon, Kim Seoyoung, Lee Yurim, Ji Seoyeon, Noh Chaeeun, To Jihun, Lee Hyunsoo, Won Chaeeun, Seo Yeeun, Lee Haein, Kim Minchae, Kim Minseung, Kang Soomin, Park Yeonjeong, Min Seohyun, Lee Eunseo, Choi Soeun, Moon Boin, Kwak Munju

My thoughts below, feel free to skip.

- As I suspected Sihyeong is staying in juniors, and Jaeseok is also competing as a junior. Both will be 19 within the year, so this is really their last chance. Sihyeong has a (wildly inconsistent) 3A but has bombed JGP qualifiers before, and Jaeseok... Well, I like his lines, but he hasn't shown the most strongest results (even by Korean standards). Honestly speaking he's the most likely candidate to be the unlucky 4th :hopelessness:
- Oh Sunghoon, with lovely lines and better skating skills among the junior men, you made me gasp when your Schrodinger's 3A actually appeared for once and then pricked me every time you popped a jump, leaving my heart bleeding. Let's just see how you fare this weekend.
- Younghyun is most realistically likely to be the 1st (not that it matters that much), not because he's my favourite among the bunch but because he has been thoroughly consistent (minust Nats free, his boot snapped so it shouldn't count anyway). His jumps aren't that big, he often gets carrots, and his spins can use improvement, but I can literally count the times where he has failed to land his jumps during last season on my fingers. I doubt he got himself a 3A yet, but by now his newly gained 3F-3Lo should be quite stable, and honestly that'll probably be enough for him to win this.

- Young is not on the list, my money was on the full senior route for her and my guess was right. No 3-times Nats champion is staying in juniors. ;)
- Barring major disasters Haein and Seoyoung are going to compete for the 1st place not tickets, and if Jihun's -3Ts are back to semi-normal she also should be placed within the top 4. And as I have said before, with Seoyeon on the team there could be a new '05 trio, so I'm betting that she gets herself two tickets. That leaves the fifth spot, which is honestly going to be the point of contention. I kinda wish Siwon would land her 3Lz and get herself the tickets, but if she falls (per usual) both Subeen and Minseung, who have been on the JGP last season, are the two most likeliest candidates to get them. For the rest, well ice is slippery but their Nats layouts aren't really internationally competitive ones. Like, Yeonjung is the junior Nats champion, but the fact she competed in the juniors means she doesn't have all her triples yet. My memory is fuzzy, but from what I recall her 2Lz wasn't that big, so I don't see her having a 3Lz for JGP qualifiers. I haven't checked their levels yet (had a busy day at work), but suffice it to say the competition is for the 5th spot, among the skaters who have earned level 7 or more (i.e. eligible for senior Nats). So Siwon, Subeen, Minseung, both Hyunsoos, Noh Chaeeun... Judging by Nats scores, I say the first three are in contention.
- Seoyoung has been cleaning up her URs, still it's kinda going to be a battle with that verses Haein's flip edge. Seoyoung has bigger jumps and lovely spins, Haein has better consistency and the title of Nats bronze medalist. It's going to be fun :popcorn:

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
JGP qualifiers are taking place this weekend (KST, 7.27-28), sorry for the late post. So, for the number of spots: 10 spots for ladies (originally was 7, but withdrawals and stuff apparently left us 3 more), 5 spots for men, and 2 spots for ID. Since the only junior ID team in existence is Jeon/Choi they automatically get the two spots, so it's about the single skaters' tickets. The rules go:

For ladies: 1st-5th get two tickets each (originally was 1st-3rd get 2, 4th gets 1)
For men: 1st and 2nd get two tickets each, 3rd gets the last ticket.

And now the entries. Skipping ID, as mentioned Jeon/Choi are the only entries. Order is by starting number.

Men: Lee Sihyeong, Cha Younghyun, Park Sunghoon, Kyeong Jaeseok
Ladies: Jeon Subeen, Wi Seoyoung, Lee Siwon, Kim Seoyoung, Lee Yurim, Ji Seoyeon, Noh Chaeeun, To Jihun, Lee Hyunsoo, Won Chaeeun, Seo Yeeun, Lee Haein, Kim Minchae, Kim Minseung, Kang Soomin, Park Yeonjeong, Min Seohyun, Lee Eunseo, Choi Soeun, Moon Boin, Kwak Munju

My thoughts below, feel free to skip.

- As I suspected Sihyeong is staying in juniors, and Jaeseok is also competing as a junior. Both will be 19 within the year, so this is really their last chance. Sihyeong has a (wildly inconsistent) 3A but has bombed JGP qualifiers before, and Jaeseok... Well, I like his lines, but he hasn't shown the most strongest results (even by Korean standards). Honestly speaking he's the most likely candidate to be the unlucky 4th :hopelessness:
- Oh Sunghoon, with lovely lines and better skating skills among the junior men, you made me gasp when your Schrodinger's 3A actually appeared for once and then pricked me every time you popped a jump, leaving my heart bleeding. Let's just see how you fare this weekend.
- Younghyun is most realistically likely to be the 1st (not that it matters that much), not because he's my favourite among the bunch but because he has been thoroughly consistent (minust Nats free, his boot snapped so it shouldn't count anyway). His jumps aren't that big, he often gets carrots, and his spins can use improvement, but I can literally count the times where he has failed to land his jumps during last season on my fingers. I doubt he got himself a 3A yet, but by now his newly gained 3F-3Lo should be quite stable, and honestly that'll probably be enough for him to win this.

- Young is not on the list, my money was on the full senior route for her and my guess was right. No 3-times Nats champion is staying in juniors. ;)
- Barring major disasters Haein and Seoyoung are going to compete for the 1st place not tickets, and if Jihun's -3Ts are back to semi-normal she also should be placed within the top 4. And as I have said before, with Seoyeon on the team there could be a new '05 trio, so I'm betting that she gets herself two tickets. That leaves the fifth spot, which is honestly going to be the point of contention. I kinda wish Siwon would land her 3Lz and get herself the tickets, but if she falls (per usual) both Subeen and Minseung, who have been on the JGP last season, are the two most likeliest candidates to get them. For the rest, well ice is slippery but their Nats layouts aren't really internationally competitive ones. Like, Yeonjung is the junior Nats champion, but the fact she competed in the juniors means she doesn't have all her triples yet. My memory is fuzzy, but from what I recall her 2Lz wasn't that big, so I don't see her having a 3Lz for JGP qualifiers. I haven't checked their levels yet (had a busy day at work), but suffice it to say the competition is for the 5th spot, among the skaters who have earned level 7 or more (i.e. eligible for senior Nats). So Siwon, Subeen, Minseung, both Hyunsoos, Noh Chaeeun... Judging by Nats scores, I say the first three are in contention.
- Seoyoung has been cleaning up her URs, still it's kinda going to be a battle with that verses Haein's flip edge. Seoyoung has bigger jumps and lovely spins, Haein has better consistency and the title of Nats bronze medalist. It's going to be fun :popcorn:

Schrodinger's 3A is a great definition :biggrin::biggrin::laugh:

seabm7

Final Flight

ISU forbids GP participants to compete in JGP. Young You already has a GP ticket.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
ISU forbids GP participants to compete in JGP. Young You already has a GP ticket.

Exactly, if she was planning on half-and-half she would've withdrawn and got herself two JGPs.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Exactly, if she was planning on half-and-half she would've withdrawn and got herself two JGPs.

Though athletes that compete as seniors throughout the GP season do sometimes go back down & compete at Junior Worlds. As Shiraiwa, Tursynbaeva, & Kraznozhon did. It is a decent strategy for earning World Standing points and improving one's shot at making the GP following a debut season, particularly if one has serious competition at home and limited berths available for Worlds. Which is true in Korea. I could see either Young or Yelim benefit from a return to Junior Worlds if they do not make the World team this year. And could see the Korean juniors benefit as well, as a one-two punch with one of them and Haein might well have the best shot at earning the most JGP spots for the Korean junior ladies next year. Of course, one never knows how the season will unfold; but it is a plausible option.

randomfan

Record Breaker
I could see either Young or Yelim benefit from a return to Junior Worlds if they do not make the World team this year.

Interestingly, Yelim has never been to Junior Worlds before. She qualified but WD in 2017, and didn’t qualify at all in 2018. And this year she was sent to 4CC only.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Interestingly, Yelim has never been to Junior Worlds before. She qualified but WD in 2017, and didn’t qualify at all in 2018. And this year she was sent to 4CC only.

Yes, sorry. From a return to the junior ranks for Junior Worlds I should have said.

Fluture

Record Breaker
I‘m looking forward to seeing Eunsoo Lim and Haein Lee this season. Do we know anything about their programs? And what about Eunsoo‘s training situation? Not going into anything specific here, just asking whether she‘s back in South Korea to train or not.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I‘m looking forward to seeing Eunsoo Lim and Haein Lee this season. Do we know anything about their programs? And what about Eunsoo‘s training situation? Not going into anything specific here, just asking whether she‘s back in South Korea to train or not.

Haein's new programs will be revealed at the JGP qualifiers, and as for squirtle... Well, so far she hasn't mentioned anything about moving overseas again, that's all I know.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Haein's new programs will be revealed at the JGP qualifiers, and as for squirtle... Well, so far she hasn't mentioned anything about moving overseas again, that's all I know.

Okay, thank you for the info. Will there be videos of the JGP qualifiers? I‘m looking forward to finding out Haein‘s programs. Are Eunsoo‘s/squirtle‘s revealed yet? :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I'm curious whether Min & Eaton might debut at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships this coming week. There was a relatively recent picture of them posted together so I am currently assuming they are still planning to compete as a team. They will need their minimum scores. World Standing points couldn't hurt. And Carreira & Ponomarenko are going Lake Placid, which implies Igor will be taking teams. Anyway, I see nothing about it on Yura's twitter account; but I can't read instagram. Let me know if anyone sees anything.