2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 36 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

clippers8200

On the Ice
Looks like You Young is landing 4Lo and 4Lz without harness in practice and says her 4Lz is getting consistent enough to put in her programs next season :eek:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Amazing job, Young! I always saw her as a prodigy, she just proves once again her incredible jumping talent!
With 3A and quads, she’s going to fight for gold!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I wonder if we will ever see Young's 4S again, at the begging of the season she was training it again on a harness. Found the old clips from novice comps in 2016 again where she attempted it in practice

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Jesus Christ Young... not the best angle (and I suck at telling URs) but I don't think her 4Lz is fully rotated yet, and besides she has to land her 4S (which she has been training for longer) first. Her 4Lo seems better rotated (could be the angle being better idk) but since it's a new quad I'm not trusting it yet, hell I'm not trusting all quads until they're landed in competition. I love Young's ambitiousness and her determination, but dearie Kihira Rika (who has much better stability on her 3A) hasn't landed a successful 4S in competition yet. Why not go for a two-3A program first, look at what happened when you just put in the 3A just because you started landing it in practice last season, you had way better success with a clean program with only a 2A than with your 3A falls. I say go for two 3As first, and then the 4S, and the other quads can come to play at the Olympic season.

I’d rather see perfect triples from Eunsoo. Am I her only fan?

Happy Skates

Final Flight
Jesus Christ Young... not the best angle (and I suck at telling URs) but I don't think her 4Lz is fully rotated yet, and besides she has to land her 4S (which she has been training for longer) first. Her 4Lo seems better rotated (could be the angle being better idk) but since it's a new quad I'm not trusting it yet, hell I'm not trusting all quads until they're landed in competition. I love Young's ambitiousness and her determination, but dearie Kihira Rika (who has much better stability on her 3A) hasn't landed a successful 4S in competition yet. Why not go for a two-3A program first, look at what happened when you just put in the 3A just because you started landing it in practice last season, you had way better success with a clean program with only a 2A than with your 3A falls. I say go for two 3As first, and then the 4S, and the other quads can come to play at the Olympic season.

I think that generally its a bad idea to add new jumps in the Olympic season. For some skaters it takes a season or more to get a jump consistent in competition, just because doing a jump in comp in a routine can feel so different than in practice. Young just started consistently attempting the 3A in her programs this season, and only now are her consistency rates getting to where you would want to be. If this were the Olympic season, it would be a little bit risky to just be getting good consistency rates the month before the Olympics. If she is really aiming for that Olympic podium, it might be better to sacrifice a little bit of consistency in the short run so that you can get the jumps very stable by the Olympics, with a little bit of extra room just in case. After all, after this season there is only one more season until the Olympic season, which means limited opportunities to compete (well KSU might disagree by signing her up for a million but thats another story). So she might have to risk medals next season, but it could be a strategy if she wants to get really difficult/competitive content down by the Olympics. Its not an easy choice to make, but I don't think it would necessarily be the worst decision to start trying them next year, at least at Challengers to see how they go. She can always go back to the only 3A programs for the super important competitions, and then they'll seem "easy" in comparison.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea

No, you're not squirtle's only fan, while I love all our ladies and all the trio are dear to me, squirtle is my darling and the one that has sway over me most. But just triples aren't enough for top podiums now, that's the way things are now, so Young is the one aiming for that Olympic medal. Besides, Young is great on her own right, and I love her too (just not as much as squirtle). Why compare them when you can love them separately?

Whole post

Good point there about getting the quads stabilized before the Olympic season. Still I worry about two things: a)she could injure herself by pushing herself with those quads and b)the system is at least supposed to value execution over difficulty. Young's only going to be 17 and some months at the Olympics, it's too early an age to retire and I want to see her longer than that. For that I need her healthy without any injuries, and paired with KSU's idiocies of tiring our skaters out :palmf: quads in competition just raises the risk a bit too much for my pessimistic tastes. I still remember Young at rankings, she kept on trying to land her 3A even with her injury bothering her. With quads it's going to be worse...

If I were to be really honest I don't want more than one quad (the 4S, as it's related to the 3A) in Young's Olympic program, GPF has demonstrated how 3As without quads done with quality can defeat quads. I want her to go that route maybe with a 4S as well, I don't see TPs being generous with our skaters and URs hurt scores pretty strongly (4CC much). And when it took nearly two seasons to get a single 3A rotated with good consistency I frankly don't see a 4Lz with high GOE happening at Beijing, I mean even men with the exception of Nathan Chen aren't usually consistent with quad lutzes. Honestly Young wants that OGM more than I do, I'd much rather see her leave great skates both next season and the Olympic season.

It's kinda like my darling Junhwan and his 4F, he actually landed it at ACI (never mind the UR) but never landed it again during his GPs, he put it in his program because according to him he had about 70-80% success rate at practice and the result was his tears. He's now back to two quads and is faring much better, performance-wise and score-wise. He says he hasn't put it out of consideration for Worlds (sigh), I think I meant "the other quads can come to play at the Olympic season" in that way. They *can* come to play then, my nerves would rather not see that happen but it's not like I'm going to start yelling at Young if they do. But for next season, I'd rather have her working on a 3A combo and getting it down pat first.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I like both. Ensoo has a unique quality in her skating but does not seem to have the mental strength of You. You is also a performer (Pirates of Caribbean program) and her jumps are great too.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Ironic that I'm non-religious but I got my post removed for using religious language, it's English's problem for not having no exclamations strong enough without religious context... But anyway, to make the thread look sensible I'm reposting my reaction to Young's quad attempts:

Oh sweet deities Young... not the best angle (and I suck at telling URs) but I don't think her 4Lz is fully rotated yet, and besides she has to land her 4S (which she has been training for longer) first. Her 4Lo seems better rotated (could be the angle being better idk) but since it's a new quad I'm not trusting it yet, hell I'm not trusting all quads until they're landed in competition. I love Young's ambitiousness and her determination, but dearie Kihira Rika (who has much better stability on her 3A) hasn't landed a successful 4S in competition yet. Why not go for a two-3A program first, look at what happened when you just put in the 3A just because you started landing it in practice last season, you had way better success with a clean program with only a 2A than with your 3A falls. I say go for two 3As first, and then the 4S, and the other quads can come to play at the Olympic season.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
https://m.mk.co.kr/news/sports/view-amp/2020/02/146792

I found the interview Young had after 4CC, I can translate the whole thing if needed but the important bits:

- She judges her 3A success rate at about 55%, it was at 10% before she moved to the Hamada Mie-Tammy Gambil teamup (she spends way more time with the former according to her tone)
- Her dream is still that OGM, "Russian skaters include 4-5 quads in their programs, so I realized I needed more difficult jumps than only a 3A to join in the top ranks"
- She wants to try a 4S next season if she's in good condition and it goes well in practice, she didn't do quads for a year (presumably because of the coaching change)
- On picking the quad sal: she prefers edge jumps and she has landed one in practice before. But since her lutz has improved she would pick the quad lutz as her second quad
- On injuries and the possibility of early retirement due to those injuries because of difficult jumps: she knows that but "can't help but keep trying," with various skaters doing difficult jumps she needs to do it too for her dream of an OGM
- She's doing the National Winter Sports Festival
- Her goal at WC is 78+ in the short and 210+ overall

Oh dear heavens dearie... It's official that you want that OGM more than I do, I want to see you longer than for just the Olympics... And why are you doing the Winter Sports Festival you need to rest (deep sigh) At least she's not going for the quad lutz right away, I still want her to try a 3A combo first but a quad sal attempt is miles better than a quad lutz attempt

theharleyquinn

Medalist
I appreciate what Hamada has done to fix Young's 3A technique. I've always been skeptical of the Tom Z 3A and over time, Young's is looking better and more comfortable for her.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
So the National Winter Sports Festival is underway, Group A SPs are done now. Some updates:

Ladies
High school division - 1. Kim Yelim 71.81 2. Lim Eunsoo 67.65 3. To Jihun 59.92 4. Kim Haneul 57.91
Middle school division - 1. You Young 75.21 2. Lee Haein 68.96 3. Ji Seoyeon 63.00 4. Mo Jiwon 56.42
College division - 1. Choi Yujin 54.82 2. Choi Dabin 48.58 3. Park Miseon 47.05 4. Kim Nahyun 38.49

Men
High school division - 1. Cha Younghyun 64.78 2. Park Sunghoon 63.84 3. Park Geonwoo 51.94
College division - 1. Lee Sihyeong 75.54 2. Kyeong Jaeseok 63.78 3. An Geonhyeong 60.77
Regular division - 1. Lee Junhyeong 82.61

Edit: Protocols for all the competitions today http://www.skating.or.kr/download/download.do?fileName=figure_202002201835265510.zip&dir=game

Thought my darling's toe was under so no objections there, but seriously judges her PCS... :noshake: Haein was also hosed on PCS, I mean I'm used to the salty judging but still

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I really really really want Haein to podium at junior worlds, but with the judges giving her such low pcs, I don’t see how it’s possible.

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
I really really really want Haein to podium at junior worlds, but with the judges giving her such low pcs, I don’t see how it’s possible.

I'm more focused on getting those three spots to be honest, if my beloved Seoyoung is fully recovered it should definitely be doable but still

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Group A ladies were all streamed on YT by MBC Sports (all hail, they are so much better than SBS Sports), archived stream: https://youtu.be/J8WD8VnwACM

Elementary school division - Ahsun won. Duh. Kim Jinny, while in third, continues to show off her performer streak.

Middle school division - Young went for a 3A again (like dearie you said you wouldn't go for them here and yet you did not once but twice...) and fell but still won as expected, our little phoenix went clean yet again and landed in second place also as expected. Seoyeon in third (even with a fall) and Jiwon in fourth, as expected. All pretty much as expected.

High school division - Yelim won, hope she takes this vibe to Worlds. My darling squirtle had a difficult skate but managed to stay in second place, Haneul (who needed this comp most tbh) got the bronze, and Jihun was a cactus and slipped to 4th place.

College division - Dabin brought back her Gypsy Songs FS (with a lovely red dress this time) and got herself the gold, Yujin slipped down to second. And hang the scores Lee Seoyoung's lines are to die for

With the men, the placements stayed the same as the SP as expected. I worry for my homeboy Sihyeong's ankles and my tesoro Younghyun's taped boot, but now truly only WC/JWC is left for the season for our skaters. I applaud them all for their hard work during this season, best of luck to the WC/JWC squad and may all our skaters fly high next season :pray: