2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating | Page 7 | Golden Skate

2019-20 South Korean Figure Skating

frida80

Record Breaker
Hypothetically, if Young You places well in her first gp, say gets bronze, is there a chance for her to get a second gp?

No. The better sheshe does, the lower chance she has of being selected by another host. Host federations prefer to see their own skaters place as high as possible. So they tend to choose skaters that are having weaker seasons because they are no threat to their own. Unfortunately, Young’s chanced plummeted the moment she landed a clean 3A in June.

:no:

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
No. The better sheshe does, the lower chance she has of being selected by another host. Host federations prefer to see their own skaters place as high as possible. So they tend to choose skaters that are having weaker seasons because they are no threat to their own. Unfortunately, Young’s chanced plummeted the moment she landed a clean 3A in June.

:no:

I see... that's sad.:eek:hwell:

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Is there any recent news about what's going on with Dabin? I searched and didn't see anything of late.

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Is there any recent news about what's going on with Dabin? I searched and didn't see anything of late.

No news of her as far as I know, I think (or at least, I hope) her boot problems have been dealt with. I'm waiting for the Challenger assignments.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I think there are good odds for at least one of the Korean ladies to receive a second GP. As a fan of Yelim, I would like to see it be her. (Crossing my fingers she is/will be healthy). She is higher on the replacement list. I have a feeling, though, that the Korean Fed will want it to be Young as she is the National Champion. Anyway, I think the odds are pretty good for one of them to get an invitation. As NHK often selects higher ranked athletes on the list & the Korean ladies. Plus, COC is being held in Asia also this year, which might not hurt. And as Russia has or is going to max out its athletes, which is likely to leave Yelim right at the top of the replacement list & Young not far below her. Some selections will come from the bottom of the list but usually the athlete at the top does get invited. (Unless, in this case, the federation pushes for another one of their athletes on the same list).

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Does anyone know if Yelim is still with Tom?

I know nothing official yet, but a Korean Skater fan page told me some time ago that Yelim is back in Korea with a Korean coach. I don't know how accurate that information is, however, since Yelim was not at Broadmoor nor at the Philadelphia Summer Competition, it is a big hint that she may no longer be with TomZ.,I think.

frida80

Record Breaker
I know nothing official yet, but a Korean Skater fan page told me some time ago that Yelim is back in Korea with a Korean coach. I don't know how accurate that information is, however, since Yelim was not at Broadmoor nor at the Philadelphia Summer Competition, it is a big hint that she may no longer be with TomZ.,I think.

Super sad! She really hit her stride last year! If it weren't for those skates at nationalanahe may have won a junior medal.

I don't know the internals, so maybe this is for the best. Colorado Springs is a tough place to train with that altitude. I'm still bummed she wasn't at Philly International at least.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Just found this clip from a South Korean novice skater: Her name is Min Ji An if I read the hangul correctly?
https://youtu.be/Kcj2lDO04AQ

Wow what a beautiful and complex choreo for such a young skater with a lot of difficult transitions before the jumps. I am so happy that South Korea has so many new skaters now. Yuna really did so much for the sport in SK :)

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Just found this clip from a South Korean novice skater: Her name is Min Ji An if I read the hangul correctly?
https://youtu.be/Kcj2lDO04AQ

Wow what a beautiful and complex choreo for such a young skater with a lot of difficult transitions before the jumps. I am so happy that South Korea has so many new skaters now. Yuna really did so much for the sport in SK :)

You got the name right :) but just to clarify: family name Min, given name Jian. I didn't check out the Kyobo Cup videos because life was hectic, but news of promising young skaters are always good to hear.

The Queen basically paved the road for future skaters solely by herself, if not for her people would still be like "Figure skating? What's that? They do ballet on ice or something?" You truly can't exaggerate her influence regarding figure skating here, all hail Her Royal Highness :bow:

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
With the ISU bios being updated, I'd just like to compare how our junior ladies' heights. They are growing up so quickly...

Seoyoung: 155~156cm (last season's bio omitted the last digit :palmf: This is my guess since she was basically the same height with Haein when I saw her at Nats) -> 161cm
Jihun: 164cm -> 169cm (she's now as tall as I am :eek:)

More to come as bios are updated

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
169cm as a junior? How old is she? She’s only 5cm off my height!

Ichatdelune

Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
Seoyoung has lovely back flexibility, but it's a trait that a lot of Korean ladies seem to have inherited from the Queen. But also, lovely lines. And a lovely visage. Haein's the only one of the 05 trio who's been getting international attention so far, but I expect all three of them to shine bright during the JGP circuit. Seoyeon's turn is next ;)

And Jihun we need to fix your URs ASAP you are too dramatic and expressive a skater to be held back by chronic -3T<s damnit

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Wi Seoyoung just won me over. She was so calm and collected throughout the skate. Loads of potential there.