2019-20 European Ice Dance | Golden Skate

2019-20 European Ice Dance

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
I think it's time to open a thread about the European Ice Dance.
I suspect nothing will change with the candidates to the gold medal as Gabriella and Guillaume simply don't seem to have competition neither in Europe nor the World.
However, the battle for the top 5-10 may involve quite a lot of duos:

France:
- Papadakis/Cizeron - will they keep dominating with such a big margin or maybe the difference with the rest of the competitors will be smaller?
- Lauriault/Le Gac - I don't really follow them, but they were quite active last year and are clear French no. 2 couple

Russia:
- Sinitsina/Katsalaop, whose Worlds silver medal will surely contribute to their reputation and big and generous marks for components.
- Stepanova/Bukin - their rivalry with Sinitsina/Katsalapov will be interesting both in the domestic and international ice rinks.
- Zagorski/Guerreiro - will they rise after such a disappointing last season or there will be other couples who will rob them the Russian no. 3 team title?
- Popova/Mozgov - I wonder how much they have improved in their second season with Krylova. They are very passionate and have very clear goals, so who knows, maybe they will be Zagorskki/Guerreiro's direct rivals?
- I'm not sure which juniors will become seniors in the following season, but I don't think they will be instant candidates for Russian no. 3 ice dancer.

Italy:
- Guignard/Fabbri - after grabbing the bronze at last Europeans they surely want more and will be strong candidates for European top 3 duo

Spain
- Hurtado/Khaliavin
- Smart/DIaz
Internal rivalry between these two, as always, will be very interesting.

Great Britain
- Fear/Gibson - will they keep moving in the ranking after last breakthrough season? I'm very eager to know their programs: will they be similar to their fantastic disco FD or will they go in a completely different direction?

Poland
- Kaliszek/Spodyriev - they finished 5th at last Euros, which was quite surprising; let's see if they are able to maintain this position the following season or, who knows, even move up?

Finland
- Turkkila/Versluis - they were nice to watch last year and having in mind their short period together, I expect more improvement in the upcoming season

Ukraine
- Nazarova/Nikitin - let's see if they enter the game after last season coaching changes and injuries

Have I forgotten anyone?

What are your thoughts?

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Shevchenko & Eremenko are moving up to seniors this season. Skoptcova & Aleshin, Evdokimova & Bazin, and Shpilevaya & Smirnov are continuing to compete in seniors. (S&A, E&B, and S&E have guaranteed spots on the GP).

The battle for the German team was an interesting one last season, with Koch & Nuchtern winning out. I am curious if they will stay ahead of Muller & Dieck or if we will have the battle all over again this year. (Caruso has reportedly moved to Germany and K&N have reportedly gone with him so will apparently no longer be with Fusar-Poli).

Galayavieva & Thauron had a good end of their first season together last year (finishing 10th in the FD at Europeans).

G&T should get at least a host spot at IDF and both they and Reed & Ambrulevicius have a decent shot at making the GP via their SB scores.

Both Israel and Bulgaria have lost their top teams. I am curious whether Ichilov will re-emerge with a new partner, or whether she has decided to move on. I hope she will continue to compete. (Davidovich is on IPS).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
??? New partnership for Switzerland: Madison Fox and Darian Weiss.

He previously competed for Switzerland.

My guess is that they will train in Colorado Springs, which already has been the longtime home for each of them.

Are Kazakova/Reviya from Georgia going senior? I thought(???) I heard that they are.

Italy has a new senior team, Katrine Roy and Claudio Pietrantonio.

Denmark has a new junior team.

Azerbaijan has a new junior team.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Are Kazakova/Reviya from Georgia going senior? I thought(???) I heard that they are.

I've not heard anything about them doing so. They are a team in the rare position where it would make sense for them to skate both the JGP and senior Challengers & Major Internationals, however. They have no competition at home (OK, neither one of them is Georgian or lives in Georgia, but no competition in the country for which they compete). They are 35th on the SB list which is pretty far down for getting an initial GP assignment, much less two; but is high enough to make the alternate list if they want to try to make the Senior GP. (They are actually Russian and have Russian coaches, plus have lost to Russian teams in the hunt for the Russian host spot so Rostelecom may love to invite them). I think their odds are better for raising their World Standing if they compete at the junior level on the JGP; but they can also probably go straight to Europeans and Worlds. I don't think it would be an inaccurate comparison to say they are about where Nazarova & Nikitin were their last season in juniors (when they won Junior World bronze but also competed at Senior Worlds).

Mohacz

Medalist
Country
Poland
Since the Russian Federation has revealed the list of candidates for the national and reserve team, the situation as to which Russian duos we'll see competing in seniors in ice dance is clear:

Main team:
Evdokimova/Bazin
Zahorski/Guerreiro
Popova/Mozgov
Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Skoptsova/Aleshin
Stepanovna/Bukin

Reserve team:
Morozov/Bagin
Shevchenko/Eremenko
Shpilevaya/Smirnov

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Since the Russian Federation has revealed the list of candidates for the national and reserve team, the situation as to which Russian duos we'll see competing in seniors in ice dance is clear:

Main team:
Evdokimova/Bazin
Zahorski/Guerreiro
Popova/Mozgov
Sinitsina/Katsalapov
Skoptsova/Aleshin
Stepanovna/Bukin

Reserve team:
Morozov/Bagin
Shevchenko/Eremenko
Shpilevaya/Smirnov

Not necessarily. There are teams on the junior list that have already split. As far as I know, the senior teams on these lists are together and preparing for next season. (I've seen something during the off-season from every team except Morozov & Bagin, whom I probably haven't heard anything about simply because I haven't asked about them). Shevchenko & Eremenko are higher on both the SB and WS list that Popova & Mozgov, though, so it could be interesting to see how the GP assignments are handed out among all those mid-tier Russian teams. (Last year, Sinitsina & Katsalapov were on the Reserve Team; and obviously they had more high profile events than some of the teams on the main team). Evdokimova & Bazin, Popova & Mozgov, & Skoptcova & Aleshin all had some good events and some really not so hot last season. And, of course, Shevchenko & Eremenko haven't gone up against any of them since S&A in juniors the year before last. I think it should be fun to watch them all battle it out this year.

Andrea82

Medalist
Scali also made the RD for Kock/Nuchtern, both programs for Reed/Ambrulevicius and Wagret/Souquet (who have moved to train with Zueva).

La Rhumba

Supporting All British Skaters!
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Scali also made the RD for Kock/Nuchtern, both programs for Reed/Ambrulevicius and Wagret/Souquet (who have moved to train with Zueva).

What????? :eek: That is a big surprise! They were my fave No.2 French couple last season.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Don't think this has been posted on GS yet, but per instagram a number of days ago, Spodyriev was apparently in an accident (4 cracked ribs, a collapsed lung, and limited movement of one shoulder on top of a cast on one leg which he had acquired before). Seems like it will definitely delay Kalizsek & Spodyriev's season if not take the entire season to recover. My best wishes to them both during his recovery process.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Don't think this has been posted on GS yet, but per instagram a number of days ago, Spodyriev was apparently in an accident (4 cracked ribs, a collapsed lung, and limited movement of one shoulder on top of a cast on one leg which he had acquired before). Seems like it will definitely delay Kalizsek & Spodyriev's season if not take the entire season to recover. My best wishes to them both during his recovery process.

Wow, I've always had a soft spot for this team, so that is sad news to hear. Best wishes for a speedy and thorough recovery.