Message received by Medvedeva at skating show | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Message received by Medvedeva at skating show

Scott512

Record Breaker
Gravy, I usually agree with your comments, but if you are saying that in a conflict of any kind between a white person and a person of color in the US, the white person is per se engaging in racist behavior or that the behavior is racially motivated, then I completely disagree with you.

A person’s intent is not irrelevant. And to assume that all police officers or all white people think and act the same way toward gays or people of color is to engage in the worst kind of stereotyping. It creates divisions that are very hard to bridge. While I would never deny that virulent racism has existed and still exists in the US, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the rise of knee jerk accusations of racism here has coincided with an increase in open hate speech.

For me, the accusations of racism against Mariah Bell, which appear to have been based on no more than the fact that during a run through her skate grazed Eunsoo, is a perfect example of all that is wrong with this kind of thinking.

True. Especially your last paragraph.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
This problem was around long before social media. It's just more visible now because anything a person does can be all over the world in seconds, and because it's thus easier to get in contact with a person now.

Possibly the most vile response I've seen are the people who are convinced that Medvedeva herself wrote the letter as a PR stunt. Stay classy, folks.

:shocked: :palmf:

I don’t know why I’m so shocked to find out there are actual lunatics who believe such a ridiculous conspiracy theory; but damn, here we are. Zhenya just has all this infinite time on her hands, you know, between performing in off-season skating shows all over the world, travelling back and forth between Canada and Russia for training, learning choreography for two new programs, and basically just working her butt off to prepare for the upcoming season. Clearly, she has a void to fill, so she must be composing her own hate mail, just for the attention.

*sarcasm detector explodes*

Scott512

Record Breaker
:shocked: :palmf:

I don’t know why I’m so shocked to find out there are actual lunatics who believe such a ridiculous conspiracy theory; but damn, here we are. Zhenya just has all this infinite time on her hands, you know, between performing in off-season skating shows all over the world, travelling back and forth between Canada and Russia for training, learning choreography for two new programs, and basically just working her butt off to prepare for the upcoming season. Clearly, she has a void to fill, so she must be composing her own hate mail, just for the attention.

*sarcasm detector explodes*

Fair-minded people don't think that there was some Zhenya conspiracy theory here. Lol. No way. The Yuzu fan is a fanatic and that's how his or her letter came across.

NoviceFan

Triple Something-Triple Looping
Medalist
Fair-minded people don't think that there was some Zhenya conspiracy theory here. Lol. No way. The Yuzu fan is a fanatic and that's how his or her letter came across.

The sender is a crazy person. We do not know if he/she is a fan of another skater; it is hard to accuse anyone without any hard evidence. But, at least to me, those who hypothesize that the letter is some kind PR stunt are as despicable as the author of that letter.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
The sender is a crazy person. We do not know if he/she is a fan of another skater; it is hard to accuse anyone without any evidence. But, at least to me, those who hypothesize that the letter is some PR stunt are as despicable as the author of that letter.

Agreed. I even heard it suggested that it was a Yuzuru hater who thought in some weird way he would get blamed by association (obviously, didn't happen and anyway, what mad Yuzuru hater is going to pay to go to Fantasy on Ice???)

The fringes of all fandoms get toxic, that's sadly a given (I used to watch from an appalled, safe distance the cesspools that my sane Harry Potter and Supernatural fan friends navigated) and anonymous makes it all the easier and worse. Really, I learned that the only thing to do is to ignore it except to give any victims support.. and then let it die unmourned and as quickly as possible.

I even heard it suggested that it was a Yuzuru hater who thought in some weird way he would get blamed by association.

Or ... was is a Yuzuru fan who pretented to be a Yuzuru hater pretending to be a Yuzuru fan?

No, wait. It was a Yuzuru hater who pretended to be a Yuzuru fan pretending to be a Yuzuriu hater pretending to be Yuzuru fan.

Anyway, it couldn't be Zhenya herself up to her old PR tricks. Skaters have "people" to handle all that for them. Unless it is a secret mole (probably a Khazak working on behalf of Elizabet Tursynbayeva) embedded in the Zhenya PR machine who is trying to undermine Zhenya from within by making people think that she sends letters to herself while under the influence of her alter-personality. :yes:

Scott512

Record Breaker
The sender is a crazy person. We do not know if he/she is a fan of another skater; it is hard to accuse anyone without any hard evidence. But, at least to me, those who hypothesize that the letter is some kind PR stunt are as despicable as the author of that letter.

The people saying Zhenya did his have to be joking. Trolling it would seem.