2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
What is going on with Mai Miyahara? Will she skateat Nationals.

If you mean Mai Mihara, no she will not skate at Nationals. It's been discussed earlier in the thread but she is not healthy enough to compete at the moment due to her juvenile arthritis.

If you mean Satoko Miyahara, she certainly will be at Nationals.

elliana

On the Ice
Question: someone said Rika isn't doing a lutz due to injury. What is special about lutz technique that would make it more dangerous compared to other jumps?

MRani

On the Ice
Question: someone said Rika isn't doing a lutz due to injury. What is special about lutz technique that would make it more dangerous compared to other jumps?

It’s not that the lutz is more dangerous compared to other jumps. It’s that Rika’s specific injury makes the lutz exceptionally painful to jump so she can’t do it right now.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
It must be something to do with the outside edge "against the rotation direction" take-off straining her foot.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It’s not that the lutz is more dangerous compared to other jumps. It’s that Rika’s specific injury makes the lutz exceptionally painful to jump so she can’t do it right now.

I'm glad she's making a decision not to do it, instead of doing it with poor flutz technique.

readernick

Medalist
??? Rika does not have a Flutz

I think (or I hope) the poster means that she could do a flutz to avoid the pain associated with the ankle bend in the Lz and she would still get more points than she's now with a 2A. But, the poster is glad she isn't taking this dishonest route.

We all know Rika has one of the best 3Lzs in the field.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Possibly because of her injury she can't get on that outside edge, at least not without pain and straining herself.

Uninjured her Lutz edge is good.

thexfireball

Rinkside
Possibly because of her injury she can't get on that outside edge, at least not without pain and straining herself.

Uninjured her Lutz edge is good.

Her injury was before ACI and she landed clean lutzes with outside edges in practice, though the one attempted in the FS was UR - the edge was still fine despite the injury

risingtrot

On the Ice
Just my opinion but I've always felt that the constant outside edge "against the rotation direction" takeoff may be part of the cause of her injury as well. It's like constantly trying to bend and push something, eventually it will strain.

Consequently (and just my opinion), the others (some) doing those lutz jump with the wrong or unclear edge are less prone to similar injury simply because of less strain.

Anyway, not starting anything but just saying my opinion.

Hope everyone remains healthy.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Rika was very off in the SP, shaky and foot down on 3A, fall on combo. Just nerves or is her injury affecting her...or even both? It was all a little flat to be honest.

I hope she can come roaring back in the FS, but I do hope she takes care of herself too, taking big risks could have far worse consequences than just losing out on a GPF medal.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
A little of A, a little of B.

No point in keeping the quad bottled up now. She'll need that and more to hold off Trusova for the bronze.

MRani

On the Ice
As long as her injury isn’t bothering her other jumps, she really has nothing to lose by throwing it all out there. She can’t finish worse than 6th after all. I hope this takes the pressure off her and she can just try to land the 4S for the competition experience. I’m worried that her injury is starting to affect her other jumps though, in which case I’d rather she not strain herself and just try to survive the FS with dignity.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
A little of A, a little of B.

No point in keeping the quad bottled up now. She'll need that and more to hold off Trusova for the bronze.

I wouldn't want her to go for it if she was in pain or her injury is aggravated. That would be a very big mistake that could ruin more than just her GPF.

BUT... If she feels okay and that she can do it without risking further injury then I'd applaud her for going for it.

P44

On the Ice
I think she was ok during the practice, she landed properly a majority of jumps so I don't think we should worry right now.
I don't know if it was a good thing to tease the 4S since this summer. Now everybody is just expecting her to land it and to be perfect, it is a lot of pressure :(
I assume it's not easy for her, last year she won almost everything and this year everything is turned upside down.
But she never looks too crushed, even after today SP, she seems to be very strong that's a big quality !

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
I wouldn't want her to go for it if she was in pain or her injury is aggravated. That would be a very big mistake that could ruin more than just her GPF.

BUT... If she feels okay and that she can do it without risking further injury then I'd applaud her for going for it.

She's not a junior that needs to be coddled, and she's not someone like Valieva that can win the event even without busting out her quads. GPF is a major international event...holding back at NHK to lock up a silver to get here was smart, but if she's not willing to do everything in her power to compete now, then she should have given her spot to Miyahara.

Joekaz

On the Ice
She's not a junior that needs to be coddled, and she's not someone like Valieva that can win the event even without busting out her quads. GPF is a major international event...holding back at NHK to lock up a silver to get here was smart, but if she's not willing to do everything in her power to compete now, then she should have given her spot to Miyahara.
Nationals are more important. I hope she didn't peak too early. It seems most of the Japanese were clearly aiming for nationals over GP, so Kihara will need to be her best there.