2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
In less than three weeks the new season will begin, so it's time to open a new thread.
A summary of what we will see from seniors skaters and some thoughts.

Rika Kihira:
SP: Breakfast in Bagdad choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne.]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

FS: O Virtus Sapiente, Dead Can Dance - Mother Tongue, Sheila Chandra - Sacred Stones, In a Moment of Greatness - Larry Groupe choreo by Tom Dickson
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov&cshid=1560369701924

Last season: She did an incredible rookie season with 6 straight golds in intl competition.
This season: She plans to upgrade her FS layout with 4S and 3A in the three last jumping passes.
Has 2 GPs guaranteed by top 12 at worlds.

Kaori Sakamoto:
SP: Choreo by Shae-lynn Bourne.
FS: Choreo by Benoît Richaud.
Last season: A good season for Kaori with the Nats title, GPF participation and a not so bad 5th place at worlds.
This season: She plans to land 3A at nats.

Satoko Miyahara
SP: Mix of Yalla, Tabla & Percussion Solo, and Egyptian Disco (Buddha Bar Edit) / DJ Disse choreo by Benoît Richaud
https://youtu.be/8jQaJmeJzgw
FS: Mix of Theme of Schindler’s List, Prelude in C sharp minor, and Hatikva
by Lori Nichol
Last season: Started strongly by winning gold at her first GP and silver at her 2nd. But her results dropped with the last place at GPF, losing her title at nats and 6th at worlds. To say the least, She dropped from being the N.1 to the third Japanese.
This season: Plans to include 3A in her FS.

Mai Mihara
SP: La Gitana choreo by David Wilson (not confirmed)
FS: Choreo by Lori Nichol
Last season: Not so bad. She was the 4th girl again at some events but won some medals. Despite missing the worlds team she went to 4CC and won bronze + won universiade.
Will likely have 2GPs. Top24 SB and good WS.

Wakaba Higuchi
SP: Bird set free choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne
FS: Poeta choreo by Massimo Scali
Last season: A season to forget for Wakaba. She got injured and had to withdraw from her 2nd GP. Despite that she finished 5th at nats, which is not so bad given her condition.
This season: She is not training the 3A so far because of her injuries but seems like she trains a new 3-3.
Will likely get two GPs thanks to good WS and good placement at nats.

Mako Yamashita
SP: Unknown (by me at least)
FS: Unknown (by me at least)
Last season: She made a promising debut at the beginning of the season. Medaling at her two challengers and first GP. But didn't do so well at her 2nd GP. She finished 6th at nats.
This season: She will likely get two GPs thanks to top24 SB and good WS.

Yuna Shiraiwa
SP: Choreo by Stephane Lambiel.
FS: Choreo by Benoît Richaud
Last season: She improved on consistency by doing less pops/falls, so improved her scores a bit. Fed sent her to JWC which allowed her to improve her WS.
This season: Will have at least one GP thanks to her WS.

Marin Honda
SP: Seven nation army by Shae-Lynn Bourne
FS: Lalaland by Lori Nichol
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgIEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov
Last season: She switched to another coach and still had a big problem with consistency. Basically a season to forget for Marin.
This season: I don't know if JSF will even submit her name given her results but she can have at least one GP thanks to WS.

Rika Hongo
SP: Kill bill choreo by Shae-Lynn Bourne
FS: Ghost in the shell by Shae-Lynn Bourne.
Last season: To forget
This season: She made a coaching change so i hope she will get back solid jumps.
I don't think she can even have the host pick GP.

Yuhana Yokoi
SP: Choreo by Misao Sato
FS: The phantom of the opera
Last season: Medaled at a JGP and won junior nats. But got a 9th place at JWC.
This season: Aged out of juniors so will be senior this season.
Can have the host pick thanks to her 7th place at nats.

Ayaka Hosoda
SP: Scent of a woman
FS: Concerto in F
Last season: The surprise of nats. Two clean programs and three 3As landed.
This season: She wanted to retire after nats but decided to compete again this season. Imo she will have an international assignement. Maybe even NHK host pick.

Among girls who will probably compete as juniors and get JGPs, there are Tomoe Kawabata, Yuna Aoki, Nana Araki, Rika Tejima, Hana Yoshida.
If Yoshida gets back her 3A and solid two 3-3s she can make a splash.
Tomoe can get nice results if she gets consistency.

kallirroe

On the Ice
I am SO excited that Rika will use for her music the group of Dead Can Dance. I am SUCH a fan of this music and I cant wait to see it in figure skating!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
i love many of these ladies but to be honest it's the late bloomer hosoda that has my curiosity. she can either be a "new" face on the world scene or a flash in the pan. i'm kind of rooting for her:biggrin:

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
i love many of these ladies but to be honest it's the late bloomer hosoda that has my curiosity. she can either be a "new" face on the world scene or a flash in the pan. i'm kind of rooting for her:biggrin:

I'm rooting for her too! I'd like to see her at a challenger or maybe a GP event (NHK) :)

As for juniors, I'm excited to see more of Moa Iwano!

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I'm rooting for her too! I'd like to see her at a challenger or maybe a GP event (NHK) :)

As for juniors, I'm excited to see more of Moa Iwano!

i'm pretty sure we'll see her at least a some challengers and, who knows, she could get the host pick at NHK :pray:. i guess it will depends on test skates (they do them for seniors too, right?)

Tsurara

On the Ice
Yuna Shiraiwa
Her SP choreo by Stephane Lambiel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByC-5e8J12n/

Yuhana Yokoi
Her IG story a few days ago said he SP's choreo by Misao Sato.

Tomoe Kawabata, Yuna Aoki
They were both in Champery and most likely got their choreo by Stephane Lambiel.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwuYOyenPLA/
And Yuna Aoki's FS by Misha Ge
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxdaX7iJh_p/

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
JSF had just passed the schedules for the major domestic events for 19-20 seasons:

Chu-Shikoku-Kyushu Regionals (中四国九州選手権大会)
Sept 26-29, 2019
Papio Ice Arena, Fukuoka

Tohoku-Hokkaido Regionals (東北・北海道選手権大会)
Sept 20-23, 2019
Niida Indoor Rink. Hachinohe, Aomori

Kanto Regionals (関東選手権大会)
Oct 3-6, 2019
Kose Sports Arena

Chubu Regionals (中部選手権大会)
Sep. 27 - 29, 2019
Howa Sportsland, Aichi

Kinki Regionals (近畿選手権大会)
Oct 3-6, 2019
Shiga Prefectual Ice Arena, Shiga

Tokyo Regionals (東京選手権大会)
Sept. 20 - 23, 2019
Dydo Drinco Ice Arena. Tokyo

National Novice (全日本ノービス選手権大会)
Oct 18-20, 2019
Dydo Drinco Ice Arena. Tokyo

Eastern Sectionals (第45回東日本選手権大会 第36回東日本ジュニア選手権大会)
Oct 24-27, 2019
Nagano

Western Sectionals (第45回西日本選手権大会 第36回西日本ジュニア選手権大会)
Nov. 1-4, 2019
Shiga Prefectual Ice Arena, Shiga

National Juniors (JOCジュニアオリンピックカップ大会 第88回全日本ジュニア選手権大会)
Nov. 13-17, 2019
Yokohama (Kose Shin-yokohama skate center)

Nationals (第88回全日本選手権大会)
Dec. 19-22, 2019
Yoyoki, Tokyo

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I am hoping Mai will do well this season as well as the rest of the girls.

Mai is kind of my 'sentimental' Japanese Lady favourite:), there is kind of tranquil, harmonious feel watching her for me, she's very elegant and her skating is 'inviting' for me. I hope for a good season for her. May all Japanese ladies thrive in their own, respectful ways next season!:)

risingtrot

On the Ice
I'm quite happy with this year's GP assignment cause they finally spread out the Japanese ladies compared to last year.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I'm quite happy with this year's GP assignment cause they finally spread out the Japanese ladies compared to last year.

I am incredibly glad I will be able to see Kaori live for the first time (and to potentially give her tissue paper flowers bouquet!):). I already saw Satoko and Wakaba in Milan last year, Rika twice (Nepela and Idf last season), Mai at IdF and Rin Nitaya at Nepela from Japanese ladies, so Kaori is an exciting prospect:). I do hope one, maybe two ladies will come again to Bratislava for Nepela.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan

We all owe a debt of gratitude to Rika Kihira for bringing her to the international stage.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I am incredibly glad I will be able to see Kaori live for the first time (and to potentially give her tissue paper flowers bouquet!):). I already saw Satoko and Wakaba in Milan last year, Rika twice (Nepela and Idf last season), Mai at IdF and Rin Nitaya at Nepela from Japanese ladies, so Kaori is an exciting prospect:). I do hope one, maybe two ladies will come again to Bratislava for Nepela.

Lucky you! If you make Kaori one of your amazing bouquets, go for fiery reds (like her cake decoration!) :devil: