2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
I thought Rika did the best she could.

It is not easy, nerves, injury, having such formidable opponents.

She should be proud of herself!

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I have to admit that I don’t quite understand Rika’s long program. I sorta kinda get that she is portraying an “international angel of peace”. But what is an angel of peace? So the program is about world peace? Is that what she’s trying to say? Why are there music cuts with Indian and Middle Eastern feels? Is she trying to support peace in the Middle East?
Can someone who understands Japanese please tell me if Rika has explained her program in interviews?
I think the idea is good but the execution questionable. Also, why is her costume pea green?

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I have to admit that I don’t quite understand Rika’s long program. I sorta kinda get that she is portraying an “international angel of peace”. But what is an angel of peace? So the program is about world peace? Is that what she’s trying to say? Why are there music cuts with Indian and Middle Eastern feels? Is she trying to support peace in the Middle East?
Can someone who understands Japanese please tell me if Rika has explained her program in interviews?
I think the idea is good but the execution questionable. Also, why is her costume pea green?

Her music consists of several religious music pieces and chants from across the world. Christian, Hindu etc. The story behind it is that she unites all the religions in the world to create peace.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I like Rika's Angel program. Her angel sees bad things happening, but in the end brings peace to all humanity.

Not really into her new dress though.

Hope she rests now and heals her ankle and brings back her glorious lutz.

believed

On the Ice
I like Rika's Angel program. Her angel sees bad things happening, but in the end brings peace to all humanity.

Not really into her new dress though.

Hope she rests now and heals her ankle and brings back her glorious lutz.

I really miss her old dress :(

Ophelia

Record Breaker
That is exactly the problem Elizaveta Tuktamysheva ran into when she couldn't go to Russian Nationals because of Pneumonia, she had no "free pass" despite earning herself Bronze at the 18/19 GPF. And she did not even make the World team in 2018.

Yeah but re: Tukt's situation - there were several skaters better than her. Kihira is Japan's #1 and Japan's only shot at claiming a Worlds medal.

Joekaz

On the Ice
No, it won't. Rules are rules, which all must follow.

Anyway, it's 99.9% certain that she is competing in Nationals.
I agree. Once she shows up the rules pretty much allow them to pick anyone they want no matter the finish, anyway. And they will definitely pick her regardless.The only thing they can't do is stop the winner from going.

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
If she finished off the podium it would be an Ashley Wagner 2014 situation, which is not nice for whoever gets replaced by Rika but not unfair given her potential to medal.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Is Sakomoto likely to be picked for Worlds, and what will it depend on? Japan has 3 spots, right?

Joekaz

On the Ice
If she finished off the podium it would be an Ashley Wagner 2014 situation, which is not nice for whoever gets replaced by Rika but not unfair given her potential to medal.
Yep. She's earned it this year, and I don't think any of the other girls would be safe with 3rd, if Rika was 4.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Is Sakomoto likely to be picked for Worlds, and what will it depend on? Japan has 3 spots, right?
The only way Sakamoto wouldn't make is if she doesn't podium, and Miyahara and Higuchi do, or one of the other girls wins or finishes a strong 2nd(maybe). Neither is likely.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
Is anyone here a skater and able to tell me what are the chances if you wing it and don't train much?

I assume someone like Rika knows how to jump her jumps. Say if she were to rest and start jumping a week before Nationals is it possible to make it through a routine cleanly?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Is anyone here a skater and able to tell me what are the chances if you wing it and don't train much?

I assume someone like Rika knows how to jump her jumps. Say if she were to rest and start jumping a week before Nationals is it possible to make it through a routine cleanly?

What's the point of the question? She and her coaches know more about her situation than we can, and I am sure they will all do what they decide is appropriate.

VenusHalley

Final Flight

I am actually curious too.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
What's the point of the question? She and her coaches know more about her situation than we can, and I am sure they will all do what they decide is appropriate.

What's your problem exactly and what's the point in challenging my question?

I'm curious as to how much training these athletes need. I've always wanted to know how long someone can stop training before they lose jumps, is there a certain amount of training that needs to be done to maintain jumps or is it ingrained to a certain point.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
What's your problem exactly and what's the point in challenging my question?

I'm curious as to how much training these athletes need. I've always wanted to know how long someone can stop training before they lose jumps, is there a certain amount of training that needs to be done to maintain jumps or is it ingrained to a certain point.

If you ask your question in the Lutz Corner forum you’re more likely to get an answer.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight

It really depends on a variety of things like how her training, jumps and run-throughs have been going. It also just depends on the person and the coaches. Also, we don't know the severity of her injury. It is generally not recommended to take time off too close to important competitions, bu it really depends on the situation and what the priorities are.