2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Does someone has news of Rika Hongo? I guess she will take part to regionals and sectionals, but does she plan to compete at any summer competition?

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Ayaka hasn't competed internationally so she isn't on the WS or SB list and therefore is not included in the GP selection pool. Since score minimums don't apply to host spots, she could theoretically get NHK but we'll see.

We've already seen. Yuhana Yokoi got the host spot.

I'm thinking now that Ayaka got exactly what she deserved. She really does seem to skate more for the enjoyment of skating than for competition, so the Aurora Games seems like a fitting reward for her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
She wanted to retire after nats last season. I don't think she changed her mind just to skate at shows competitions.
And i don't think that fed got her those invitations. So she didn't get something from fed so far.

lusterfan

Final Flight
Wow give her more training in the performance department and she could really do some damage! Those triple axels look easy for her, and her other jumps look great too. She could fill somewhat of an Elizaveta role with smashing TES. Her PCS would rise anyway.

tosca

On the Ice
Rika Hongo's fan club posted a message from Rika announcing that she will not be competing this season.

https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1166684652179841024?s=20

I am so sad - a sentimental favorite. Last season was really rough and it was heartbreaking to see her in the kiss and cry. I still think her Frida FS was one of the most innovative competitive programs of the season and wish I had gotten to see it to its fullest potential. Even with the Japanese field as deep and competitive as it is, I hope to see her back stronger and HAPPIER.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Rika Hongo's fan club posted a message from Rika announcing that she will not be competing this season.

https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1166684652179841024?s=20

I am so sad - a sentimental favorite. Last season was really rough and it was heartbreaking to see her in the kiss and cry. I still think her Frida FS was one of the most innovative competitive programs of the season and wish I had gotten to see it to its fullest potential. Even with the Japanese field as deep and competitive as it is, I hope to see her back stronger and HAPPIER.

I was looking forward to her new programs :sad4: I hope she returns to competing, I really want to see her Ghost in the Shell free. Maybe she wants to focus on her studies now? I just hope she's not injured. Good luck to Rika in her off-ice endeavors which I hope are just temporary!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Sad for Rika H. I wanted to see her ghost in the shell program. I hope that she will come back strong next season.

Good luck to Mana Kawabe and Azusa Tanaka at JGP Lake Placid:cheer:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am sad to hear Rika isn't competing this year. I hope she comes back but even with her gone and Mai recovering the Japanese ladies look phenomenal. I think they are generally better skaters especially being more mature than the baby ballerinas from Russia and more stable in respect to puberty issues. I had my money on them last year but then the Russians showed up. I am curious who is likely to be on the world team. In particular I wonder about Satoko though she is still consistent so you have to consider her . The team is so deep.

Shedi0806

On the Ice
I am sad to hear Rika isn't competing this year. I hope she comes back but even with her gone and Mai recovering the Japanese ladies look phenomenal. I think they are generally better skaters especially being more mature than the baby ballerinas from Russia and more stable in respect to puberty issues. I had my money on them last year but then the Russians showed up. I am curious who is likely to be on the world team. In particular I wonder about Satoko though she is still consistent so you have to consider her . The team is so deep.

For me it does not really matter who makes the world team, it is gonna be a heartbreak nevertheless. I have way too many favorites. So relieved to hear about Mai Mihara's comeback to training.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
For me, I think Satoko just might be in danger of not making the Final. She is not a favorite of the judges, and that is very important. But, her federation seems to love her, and that’s important too. She still could make the world team, I think.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
For me, I think Satoko just might be in danger of not making the Final. She is not a favorite of the judges, and that is very important. But, her federation seems to love her, and that’s important too. She still could make the world team, I think.

I think if Satoko's jumps won't improve this year and she'll still underrotate, Mai will push her out from the world team.
Nationals last year were already pretty controversial when Satoko was favoured against Mai.

tosca

On the Ice
I think if Satoko's jumps won't improve this year and she'll still underrotate, Mai will push her out from the world team.
Nationals last year were already pretty controversial when Satoko was favoured against Mai.

Agreed. I like Satoko but Mai had a better skate at Nationals and should have been over Satoko. Nice that they did give her 4CC... but not nice enough!

lusterfan

Final Flight
I think Satoko was pretty protected in her assignments, but it will still be an uphill battle for her.

At Cup of China, she's up against Tursynbaeva, Tuktamysheva, and Shcherbakova. Satoko has a TES disadvantage, but is generally more consistent and should come out on top in PCS (unless judges do her dirty again). What's important is that she actually has a shot.

At Rostelecom Cup, Satoko should be a guaranteed third at the least. Judges will lavish on all the points to Evgenia and Trusova, but Satoko can squeeze in if they falter. No other skater should be able to challenge Satoko here.

Satoko shouldn't do poorly at her assignments, but it will be difficult for her to get the 1st and 2nd place finishes that are necessary for the GPF. But, we'll see!