2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2019-20 Japanese ladies' figure skating

Joekaz

On the Ice
It is interesting to see that when Kaori and Wakaba struggle with their jumps, people here are openly talking about weight gain, while weight loss/weight gain/body change seem to be a taboo to talk on this forum most of the time. I personally think these terms are just neutral words if they are based on the pubic's observation. And there is a stronger correlation between losing weight and gaining jump consistency/ability after a skater passes puberty. However, if the same observation is made on some other skaters, the suggestion of losing weight might be labeled as promoting unhealthy eating habit and so on...
I think its because Wakaba and Kaori are thickly built and do not appear anorexic.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
@Hippomoomin, cultural differences could be a factor. From my experience Asian and Eastern European societies are a bit more open when it comes to talking about body weight, especially in a sporting context, compared to countries with a predominantly Anglo-Saxon influence. That being said, although this is the Japanese ladies' thread, the posters themselves come from diverse backgrounds.

I think it's fine to merely state the fact that a skater has lost/gained weight. It's also true that major body changes do affect jumps. However, in cases when a skater hasn't had any obvious physical changes lately, and at the same time has obvious technical issues (e.g. pick timing, not checking upper body properly) or mental issues (e.g. clean in practice but makes uncharacteristic errors in competition), then it would not make much sense to assume that body weight is the root cause.

I used to share a coach with a young teenage girl who was in that awkward stage of puberty when oestrogen causes one to bulk up but vertical growth/melting of puppy fat hasn't occurred yet. Our coach would remark to me behind her back that all her jump problems were due to weight gain. The girl started taking supplementary jump lessons with another coach, who I observed giving a lot more technical feedback (e.g. free leg timing on triple salchow) than her main coach. Her jump consistency improved very quickly.

It seems that her main coach was so certain that body weight was the issue that she'd neglected to even pay attention to her jump technique. Hence why I changed coaches :D

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
OMG!!! RIKA!!!!! The exhibition!!!!!!!

She was everything I knew she could be and more in that exhibition!!!! I swear if she skates like that with those expressions all the time her PCS should be through the roof!!!!

I am totally in love with that exhibition!!!!!! I need a saved clip of it!!!!!! She was so joyful and she just totally cut loose. Arrghhhhhh. Freaking out here at how amazing she is!

Also the double axel spree at the end was highly amusing!

*runs off to have a meltdown somewhere else*

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I usually don’t watch exhibitions (unless I’m in the stands) but I checked this one out since you were so excited about it.

Kihira pulls off a blend of innocence and maturity very well. If a lesser skater were skating to that music, the routine would have come across as overly maudlin or juvenile.

Also, we already knew Kihira’s a podium contender at Worlds, but her mental fortitude in winning consecutive 4CC titles solidifies that further.

lusterfan

Final Flight
I usually don’t watch exhibitions (unless I’m in the stands) but I checked this one out since you were so excited about it.

Kihira pulls off a blend of innocence and maturity very well. If a lesser skater were skating to that music, the routine would have come across as overly maudlin or juvenile.

Also, we already knew Kihira’s a podium contender at Worlds, but her mental fortitude in winning consecutive 4CC titles solidifies that further.

It was a good competition for her and the return of her lutzes, but she really didn't have stiff competition as she still handily won with a pop. A few smaller issues I'm concerned with though are that:

• She hasn't popped all season, so to see her pop here is slightly worrying. Not a big issue, but definitely would not want to see that at Worlds.
  • Her PCS were also very conservative. Even Young You was essentially given the same PCS. Anna surpassed her PCS at GPF and now Bradie surpassed her here at 4CC. I'm afraid judges are ready to lavish everyone else (Alyona, Anna, Bradie, You) while keeping Rika relatively static. Without that advantage, it'll be hard for Rika to catch up to 3A.
  • Similarly, still no 4S isn't the worst, but I think she should've tried it here (unless she doesn't plan to show it at Worlds). From the way judges are scoring, Rika will need that 4S to catch up to the Russian 3A.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
When does the ladies fs for Challenge Cup begin? There’s a YouTube stream up right now, but it’s showing recaps of like, Mae Berenice and Rika Hongo.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
When does the ladies fs for Challenge Cup begin? There’s a YouTube stream up right now, but it’s showing recaps of like, Mae Berenice and Rika Hongo.

Is there any update on Rika Hongo? I feel like we haven't seen her for a while. Is she still skating and training in Vancouver?

ana

On the Ice
Rika Kihira and Yuhana Yokoi ont the podium. Amazing performances. Well deserved medals.:)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Yuhana makes me forget I hate the Phantom music :luv17:

lzxnl

Final Flight
The Challenge Cup videos are still just as awful as ever. The quality isn't great, the constant angle changes make one dizzy, and the lighting...eugh.

Season's best for Rika! Which is quite impressive given the conservative nature of the scoring. Three lutzes this time in competition, so the lutzes are well and truly back, and no mistakes in the free, for once. Now we just need to see that 4S. Under similar scoring conditions to today, she'd score 163 or so with a clean 4S; couple that with a clean short of around 83 and she'd be well and truly on the way to a Worlds medal. With slightly nicer judging, she could break the record. (I find it astounding that someone would place Alena Kostornaia's GPF performances over a potential scenario where Rika Kihira skates cleanly in both programs with a 4S. Russians.)

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Challenge Cup videos are still just as awful as ever. The quality isn't great, the constant angle changes make one dizzy, and the lighting...eugh.

Season's best for Rika! Which is quite impressive given the conservative nature of the scoring. Three lutzes this time in competition, so the lutzes are well and truly back, and no mistakes in the free, for once. Now we just need to see that 4S. Under similar scoring conditions to today, she'd score 163 or so with a clean 4S; couple that with a clean short of around 83 and she'd be well and truly on the way to a Worlds medal. With slightly nicer judging, she could break the record. (I find it astounding that someone would place Alena Kostornaia's GPF performances over a potential scenario where Rika Kihira skates cleanly in both programs with a 4S. Russians.)

If she skates clean, Rika is on her way to a World medal without the 4sal.

lzxnl

Final Flight
If she skates clean, Rika is on her way to a World medal without the 4sal.

On the way, yes. But, you make optimistic assumptions about how the judging will work. If she lands a 4S and skates cleanly, she's guaranteed a medal no matter how you fudge the scores.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
I find it extremely depressing that we have to pray for her scores not to be fudged even if she's clean. Realistic but depressing nevertheless.

Is Mie Hamada also Yuhana Yokoi's coach? I saw her giving Yuhana very affectionate pats at the end of Rika's skate. She seemed very fond of her which was lovely to see.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Quite possibly, but if the 3 Russians are clean too, then she will need the 4S to have a chance to medal.

No, she would need it to win, assuming Kostornaia’s inflated PCS continues. A clean Rika can, and in my opinion will, medal without a quad.

lzxnl

Final Flight
No, she would need it to win, assuming Kostornaia’s inflated PCS continues. A clean Rika can, and in my opinion will, medal without a quad.

If Eteri's girls also skate clean, the judges are going to favour them.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Is Mie Hamada also Yuhana Yokoi's coach? I saw her giving Yuhana very affectionate pats at the end of Rika's skate. She seemed very fond of her which was lovely to see.

No, Yuhana is based at Howa Sports Land in Nagoya, where Akiko Suzuki trained with coach Nagakubo. Yuhana's coaches are Yoriko Naruse, Miho Kawaume, and Hiroko Hongo (Rika Hongo's mother).

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If Eteri's girls also skate clean, the judges are going to favour them.

That is a big if, especially with Trusova. Perhaps I am less cynical about judging, but if Rika skates clean, I predict she will be on the podium.