Favourite immediate reactions after skating | Golden Skate

Favourite immediate reactions after skating

energywithin22

Rinkside
So, I'm really curious which immediate reactions right after a skater/pair were done with the program are your favourite and why?

I'll start with the obvious one - Mao Asada, FS in Sochi. Doesn't matter how many times I watch it, the moment when she's done and starts crying hard - I cry, too.

And then a relatively new one - the 'warrior scream' from Medvedeva followed by her limping walking off the ice.. it gave me goosebumps and a lump in my throat, it was a hard season for her and to end it like that while skating with a freaking injury? - beautiful

Ichatdelune

Long live the Queen and her successors
Record Breaker
Country
South-Korea
My immediate answer would be the Queen's holy tears, that moment all of Korea erupted and figure skating was impressed into my little girl mind. I can't even properly explain how momentous it is to my figure skating fanlife. It's where it all started.

For something recent: the Kozlovskii Fistpump™, always a joy to watch.

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
Yuzuru Hanyu in Pyeongchang after the FS, screaming, "勝った!!!" ("I won!")--- meaning that he won against himself and his injuries, not the competition--- and touching his right ankle. I'm tearing up just typing this. :laugh:

And even before that, the huge grin on his face and explosion of energy into the final step sequence. Gosh, just... everything after that miraculous save on the 3Lz. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch that program without getting misty.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
Savchenko/Massot overcome with emotion breaking down and lying on the ice right after their finishing pose. Basically all their reactions afterwards as well (when they got their points, when they realized they had won).

Lipnitskaya at Euros 2014. She was so happy and cute after finishing. And the contrast between her being in character during her performance and being all smiles afterwards was awesome. Made me fall in love with her. :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
V/M after their free dance in Pyeongchang. Honourable mention to Rockstar Scott yanking open the door to the kiss and cry.

Meagan and Eric embracing on their knees on the ice after their freeskate at worlds in 2016; winning their second championship in a row when everyone had already counted them out.

Meagan and Eric’s reaction after their Olympic free skate in Pyeongchang, overcome with emotion at the end of their very last competitive program, knowing there was a strong possibility they’d win the bronze.

Chiddy slamming both hands on the ice and screaming with joy after his freeskate at the 2016 4CCs.

Aljona and Bruno after their free skate in both Pyeongchang and at 2018 worlds.

Gabby after nailing her freeskate at 2017 worlds.

Ashley jumping up and down and falling on her bum after her short program at 2016 worlds, and then her excitement/tears/disbelief two days later that she would likely medal after her awesome free skate.

Elizabeth Manley after her 1988 Olympic free. Battle of the two Carmens who? She didn’t come to play, she came to slayyyyyy.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Dick Button's commentary during Michelle Kwan's FS when she beat Chen Lu for her first world title.

(Hey it's not just the skaters who have great reactions~).

Mishaminion

Record Breaker
Tonya Harding 1991 US Nationals LP.
It's pure joy to watch, tinged with bittersweet sadness of what was later to come.
Especially love her reaction to getting a perfect 6.0 in K&C.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Wakaba after Skyfall at Milan worlds! I felt her joy and tears after that performance.

Also Shoma Uno after Turandot FS at 2015 GPF.
(I recommend the CBC or TDP commentary)

energywithin22

Rinkside
Savchenko/Massot overcome with emotion breaking down and lying on the ice right after their finishing pose. Basically all their reactions afterwards as well (when they got their points, when they realized they had won).

Lipnitskaya at Euros 2014. She was so happy and cute after finishing. And the contrast between her being in character during her performance and being all smiles afterwards was awesome. Made me fall in love with her. :)

Yes, the Savchenko and Massot moment is definitely something :)

TA91

Rinkside
Irina after her 2005 Worlds free skate - her tears of joy along with the standing ovation create such an uplifting atmosphere that really convey a message of that you can rise above and succeed.

Evgenia's roar after her free skate at Worlds this year was really poignant because it's shows for me that she was able to overcome the challenges that plagued her throughout the season.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
After a rough year, she skated two history making programs, her joy was contagious https://youtu.be/okPRcajUQrM?t=264

When you're being compared to younger skaters & people are counting you out & you deliver a solid gold medal program https://youtu.be/lsQbrwqNE0A?t=282

When the weight of an entire country is on your back & you delver a flawless program that soars above the competition https://youtu.be/eoMkWIA2jVY?t=296

When Ashley finished her expression was "did I just do that?" lol I loved it! https://youtu.be/OlreW_RerW4?t=284

Love Adams look of total exuberance after this fabulous skate! https://youtu.be/cLT1F91iCQA?t=693

and believe it or not I am adding this to the mix, even if it still stings a little https://youtu.be/F_lGt6auYDo?t=266

Jeanie19

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Evgenia Medvedeva FP 2019 Worlds, that roar at the end is magnificent.

Evgenia Medvedeva FP at 2016 Worlds.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Yuzuru Hanyu in Pyeongchang after the FS, screaming, "勝った!!!" ("I won!")--- meaning that he won against himself and his injuries, not the competition--- and touching his right ankle. I'm tearing up just typing this. :laugh:

And even before that, the huge grin on his face and explosion of energy into the final step sequence. Gosh, just... everything after that miraculous save on the 3Lz. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch that program without getting misty.

Oh yeah, there were people crying and screaming all over the world.... and the way he knelt to touch the ice, mirroring Sochi...

Also Javi. K&C, Worlds 15. Goat noises. Absolutely unforgettable :laugh::love:

hanyuufan5

✨**:。*
Medalist
My immediate answer would be the Queen's holy tears, that moment all of Korea erupted and figure skating was impressed into my little girl mind. I can't even properly explain how momentous it is to my figure skating fanlife. It's where it all started.

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I was literally an infant when I first got into figure skating and probably didn't think or feel much beyond, "Ooh, pretty!" so hearing about your reaction is really cool. :)