Equestrian Coach Takes Own Life After SafeSport Sanctions | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Equestrian Coach Takes Own Life After SafeSport Sanctions

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Trying to find out how to stop the J. Epsteins of the world recruiting girls to recruit other girls... :(

Oh my goodness, every time I hear or read that man’s name, I want to both punch things, AND throw up the entire contents of my stomachs. For someone who has practically has all the money in the world, THAT’S what he ends up doing over several decades? How despicable, not to mention absolutely mind boggling on so many unfathomable levels.

It just goes to show you that child sexual predators can be found in and and all demographics and social statuses.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
Epstein and his wealthy friends are just the kind of men that organise snuff parties.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the process SafeSport is following is the issue.

On the other hand, I think the secrecy of the process is troubling. The facts of the cases, at least of these two suicides, aren't public. In Coughlin's case, the concern seems to be something that is alleged from 20+ years ago. In the case of this equestrian coach, it's closer to 40 years, if I understand the article correctly. What tangible evidence exists of misconduct? On what grounds were these disciplinary decisions made? For sure, there is testimony that should provide some facts... but the public does not know what it is.

I may not fully understand exactly how SafeSport works. An allegation is made in private, and investigation is conducted in private, and disciplinary action is taken by a body that, as far as I can tell, isn't accountable to anyone. There's something about the secrecy that I find unsettling. Now, two men are dead, and SafeSport basically dusts their hands and says, "our work here is done." We'll never know what evidence was uncovered to support their actions. It sounds like a Star Chamber.

It seems that the federations have outsourced their responsibilities... but, again, US Gym proved that they can't be trusted to do the right thing. The SafeSport process does not resemble the due process I'm familiar with. And, lest anyone be concerned that I am "soft on pedos," I assure you that my remedy for those who sexualize children would be viewed by most of you as medieval. I have loved this sport for nearly 50 years, and I would rather every skating rink in the world burn to the ground than have a child hurt by a monster.

The whole situation is an abominable mess.

I do believe something is wrong in sport, and honestly in society in general. I'm not sure a remedy carried out in secret is the answer.

And I also believe that those "gym moms" and "skating moms" have good instincts, so please stop looking down your noses at them.

I know they have been wrong in at least two instances. They suspended gymnast Alex Naddour (which is not private, the persons suspended are placed on a list which anyone can see, he was not allowed to coach or compete while under investigation). Alex has said they didn't tell him what was happening: “I have no idea what is happening or why, we are trying to contact safe sport for any information,” Naddour said on his twitter account Wednesday. This is the initial news story: https://www.ocregister.com/2018/06/20/olympics-medalist-alex-naddour-suspended-by-usa-gymnastics/

Alex was cleared in December. That doesn't seem like a vast amount of time in the grand scheme of things, but I can't imagine going 6 months knowing a person or people had made what appear to be false (since he was cleared) sexual abuse allegations. I don't know that I'd kill myself, but I can see getting pretty low - especially since he wasn't allowed to coach, and was removed from the National team, which would have left him with no way to support himself. When he was cleared, there was a mention that ANOTHER Arizona area coach had also been cleared of similar allegations. https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...dour-cleared-u-s-center-safesport/1283769002/

So I'm looking at 2 instances of sexual misconduct against 2 different people in Arizona, both of whom were cleared. So either 1. unfounded allegations are being made or 2. Safesport is really really dropping the ball and not finding evidence that should be found. I don't know the answer. Someone smarter than me will have to figure it out. But I do feel badly for Alex Naddour and the other coach, but on the other hand my heart breaks for the hundreds of victims.

As an aside, Equestrian was my main sport as a girl/teenager and I'm so glad I was competing in a small league and having a ball and NO abuse of any kind happened to me...I wish everyone could have that same experience...