Name your top five underrated skaters, past or present. | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Name your top five underrated skaters, past or present.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Marin Honda is severely underrated in PCS. She gets low pcs when she makes many visual mistakes, normal, but there are skaters who still get high pcs no matter what. For visually clean or almost clean performances she should get way higher pcs. Her pcs for the following events are criminal: 2017 Skate Canada LP, 2017 CoC, 2018 Skate Canada SP, 2018 GP France SP.

vincerooo

Rinkside
Fang-Yi Lin is a skater who I think is highly underrated. He's a Taiwanese junior, and I feel like what he doesn't have in jumps he makes up for with skating skills. He reminds me a bit of junior Shoma, actually, with his great knee-bend and innate musicality and not-so-great jumps, and wow his ina bauers and spreadeagles are beautiful! Besides jumps, there's definitely room for improvement with not letting his movements get too loose, engaging his hands more to finish his lines, getting harder transitions, getting spin levels etc. but he's someone who I find highly enjoyable to watch. Here's a video of him skating to SOS.

Someone PLEASE watch him, I need to not be the only person on Goldenskate raving about his ss.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Only five...dang!

1. Kaetlyn Osmond - glad to see that she is referenced finally on this Board, as a complete skater. These types, seem so rare these days
2. Josée Chouinard - one of the best lutz and natural performers ever in the sport
3. Cynthia Phaneuf - but how can we give her higher marks than our pre-event favs. Isn't she the number 2 in Canada?
4. Liz Manley - never mind with Liz, as THIS is the battle of the Carmens. Hey look, Kat's dress is causing a controversy and we need more feathers everywhere. Camera 2, she is tying her skates now and ...ACTION!
5. Joannie Rochette - she's Canadian eh, why give her marks she deserves, as they are always polite but never in the picture

To the referenced ladies above, thanks for breaking through those ceilings!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Josée Chouinard
Ryan Bradley
Alexander Johnson

I’ll be back with two more later.

MarkinBerkeley

On the Ice
Young You, Ting Cui, Kevin Aymoz, Yuhana Yokoi, Tomoe Kawabata.

I watch Young You's and Kevin's programs multiple times a week that is how much I enjoy their skating:luv17:

Aymoz needs to clean up some of the technical mistakes and he could easily be competing for world medals.

withwings

On the Ice
Only five...dang!

1. Kaetlyn Osmond - glad to see that she is referenced finally on this Board, as a complete skater. These types seem so rare these days
2. Josée Chouinard - one of the best lutz and natural performers ever in the sport
3. Cynthia Phaneuf - but how can we give her higher marks than our pre-event favs. Isn't she the number 2 in Canada?
4. Liz Manley - never mind with Liz, as THIS is the battle of the Carmens. Hey look, Kat's dress is causing a controversy and we need more feathers everywhere. Camera 2, she is tying her skates now and ...ACTION!
5. Joannie Rochette - she's Canadian eh, why give her marks she deserves, as they are always polite but never in the picture

To the referenced ladies above, thanks for breaking through those ceilings!

:points:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Among those three Alena is the one who treated best from RusFeds. Anna is the second and Sasha deep down below.
Looks like the domestic Board decided solid to always award her with least PCS possible. The International Board only followed.
Sasha wins when ALL her jumps are OK which rarely happens. Any single mistake and the hell gates opening.

A pity for her.

I don't think Sasha is under-rated. She is a phenomenal jumper and judges and fans alike laud her for it. Alena and Anna are probably more favored because they are much better all-around skaters. That doesn't mean Sasha is under-rated; it just means that for most, there's more to be excited about when it comes to the other two because they have difficult jumps and spins, artistry, presentation, etc. Sasha's jumps are the most explosive and awe-worthy in the field...but much of the rest of her skating isn't nearly as impressive next to the others.

Don't pity her though! Sasha and her quads will probably be laughing all the way to the top of every podium this year :laugh:

gotoschool

Medalist
My view in terms of either relatively deflated scores or underestimation of skills and performance quality.
Young You, Mai Mihara, Rika Kihira, Mao Asada and Lu Chen

Globetrotter

Medalist
I don't think Sasha is under-rated. She is a phenomenal jumper and judges and fans alike laud her for it. Alena and Anna are probably more favored because they are much better all-around skaters. That doesn't mean Sasha is under-rated; it just means that for most, there's more to be excited about when it comes to the other two because they have difficult jumps and spins, artistry, presentation, etc. Sasha's jumps are the most explosive and awe-worthy in the field...but much of the rest of her skating isn't nearly as impressive next to the others.

Don't pity her though! Sasha and her quads will probably be laughing all the way to the top of every podium this year :laugh:

If anything, Sasha’s basic SS are underrated. I think her SS is actually stronger than either Anna or Alina although not as good as Alyona K. She only lacks that natural musicality and interpretive skills which holds back her PCS (fair IMO). But otherwise, her SS is good but not often realized.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Not in any special order
Kristi Yamaguchi, yes. I felt a little bit like she was punished when she was doing pairs and singles at same time: "You cannot be good at two disciplines at the same time".
Shibutanis
Midori Ido
Irina Slutskaya

Only my personal opinion based to none knowledge, I just had a feeling they should have scored more every time I saw them. Also many men, but I these came to my mind first.

5. from past years: Almost everybody, who came from small figure skating federations, no matter how good they skated. Also Japan and China can be counted to this at 80's.

Greengemmonster

On the Ice
1. Bradie Tennell - She's developed into an amazing performer. She's fast, gorgeous spins and so expressive without being tacky or hammy in her performances.

2. Nathan Chen - I find him really fun to watch and very expressive. The quads are awesome to but he's super fun to watch in general. I've seen people rage about his PCS which I think he totally deserves (the PCS not the raging).

3. Alysa Liu - Lovely performer with so much joy. She's expressive and really gets into her routines.

4. Rika Kihira - My absolute favourite! The perfect package imo. The jumps are all there and the triple axel is impressive but her body is so expressive when she skates. It just totally melds perfectly with the music.

noskates

Record Breaker
1. Yuka Ono (quietest blades in the sport)
2. Jeff Buttle - will be remembered more for his choreography
3. Josee Chouinard - lack of consistency but a beautiful skater
4. Shib Sibs - technically brilliant but the brother/sister thing just didn't fly
5. Ross Miner - never quite lived up to his potential

I don't want to read about current skaters being underrated because they still have future skates and time to make their marks in the sport. Or listing your favorite skater just to get their name out there. I read this thread title to mean skaters who have retired.............

withwings

On the Ice
Marin Honda is severely underrated in PCS. She gets low pcs when she makes many visual mistakes, normal, but there are skaters who still get high pcs no matter what. For visually clean or almost clean performances she should get way higher pcs. Her pcs for the following events are criminal: 2017 Skate Canada LP, 2017 CoC, 2018 Skate Canada SP, 2018 GP France SP.

Oh, dear, if you wish for Marin Honda to get higher pcs, then there only one way to get them for her- to be a Russian.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Emanuel Sandhu
Tim Dolensky

Those are the other two I said I'd be back with, though it's hard to pick just 5.